Who we're looking for
Schroders' Legal team has a vacancy for an experienced financial services regulatory lawyer. The role is new and will supplement existing expertise in providing regulatory advice and support for the Schroders' Group businesses in the EMEA region, but with a particular focus on Schroders' core asset management and private assets businesses.
We're a global investment manager. We help institutions, intermediaries and individuals around the world invest money to meet their goals, fulfil their ambitions, and prepare for the future.
We have around 5,000 people on six continents. And we've been around for over 200 years, but keep adapting as society and technology changes. What doesn't change is our commitment to helping our clients, and society, prosper.
We moved into our new HQ in the City of London in 2018. We're close to our clients, in the heart of the UK's financial centre. And we have everything we need to work flexibly.
In the London-based Schroders legal team there are around thirty lawyers. The role will sit within a small team of lawyers in the Investment legal team responsible for advising on a range of issues and supporting regulatory change within the EMEA region.
What you'll do
• providing day-to-day support advising Schroders' business teams on current asset management, banking and insurance regulations in the EMEA region applicable to the Schroders' group;
• identifying and assessing actual and potential regulatory developments applicable to Schroders' asset management, wealth management and insurance businesses across the EMEA region;
• working closely alongside and providing support to the Compliance and Risk teams in their oversight of Schroders businesses and to the Operations teams in the implementation of regulatory requirements;
• working within Schroders' existing regulatory change frameworks and acting as a key contributor to the design and implementation of regulatory change projects within the EMEA region;
• coordinating closely with colleagues in continental Europe, the Americas and APAC to support cross-border elements of Schroders business, such as delegation of portfolio management, in-sourcing of shared services and global distribution of financial products;
• collaborating with Schroders' Public Policy team to engage early with upcoming regulations including responding to consultations on new law and regulation and providing support with engagement with regulators on key pieces of upcoming regulation; and
• advising on, amongst other topics, the FCA Handbook, the PRA Rulebook, CRDV/IFPR, MAR, ESG initiatives, AIFMD, the UCITS Directive and Solvency II.
• there would be an opportunity to be involved in reg' change issues outside EMEA, although the UK/EMEA is the main focus
The knowledge, experience and qualifications you need
• Qualified lawyer with experience in advising on a broad range of non-contentious financial services regulatory matters with private practice experience gained in a strong regulatory team.
• Strong understanding of the regulatory framework applicable to the asset management, banking and insurance sectors in the EMEA region.
• Good knowledge of PRA Rule Book and/or FCA Handbook.
• The ability to analyse complex legal issues and explain outcomes in plain English.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills, with strong attention to detail.
• Ability to use outside counsel and other in-house legal resources and networks efficiently. Obtaining focused and cost-effective advice as required.
• Strong prioritisation skills with the ability to work under pressure and to meet deadlines.
• Develops effective relationships with internal clients and gains their trust and respect.
• Team player with positive and pro-active attitude.
• Liaises clearly and openly with line manager and with all departments/areas throughout Schroders.
• we should like one additional European language - ideally German or French
What you'll be like
• Excellent written and verbal communication.
• Excellent attention to detail and procedure.
• Strong interpersonal skills including the ability to liaise with staff at all levels.
• Genuinely pro-active and keen to take responsibility.
• Strong organisational/prioritisation skills
• A keen sense of team spirit and a team player.
• Resilient, approachable and confident
We're looking for the best, whoever they are
Schroders is an equal opportunities employer. You're welcome here whatever your socio-economic background, race, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, religious belief, age or disability.