- London, England, United Kingdom
- Permanent, Full time
- 23 Nov 17 2017-11-23
The role of the Front Office Quantitative Analytics team ("QA") is to build the quantitative capability to value, manage and grow a complex trading portfolio within Centrica's Energy Marketing and Trading business. QA works with originators, traders, senior management and others to evaluate proposed transactions. We develop and implement mathematical models to support the pricing and risk management of new and existing trades. QA also provides busines leadership around system design and architecture that enables QA models to be used to risk manage and control EM&T trading portfolios.
- This is an entry-level Quantitative Analyst role where the successful individual will be responsible for valuing complex commodity deal structures in the energy markets. The candidate will assist with the development and enhancement of quantitative modelling to support valuation, optimisation and trading activities.
- They may also advise on the design of such structures, and advise and undertake appropriate analysis of hedging strategies to facilitate the management of risk and flexibility. The individual will be responsible for liaising with multiple partners including Trading, Origination and Risk, and apply their commercial acumen to ensure an appropriate valuation is provided for potential transactions.
Job outline and Challenges
- Valuation of structured transactions predominantly in Energy markets (including renewables, UK and European power structures, gas swing, storage, life of field offtake arrangements, LNG) including assessment of appropriate inputs and modelling requirements
- Assisting in the development of new pricing models and methods
- Valuation and risk assessment of asset-based transactions
- Supporting the trading desks to provide performance analysis of existing and future hedging strategies
- Strong appetite for practical problem solving in a fast-moving commercial environment
- Degree level education in a highly quantitative subject (mathematics, computer science or physics) is essential.
- Preference will be given to candidates educated to PhD level in a relevant discipline. Where these are not present the candidate will be expected to have a Master’s Degree in Mathematical Finance, or demonstrate in a technical interview that they have undertaken substantive self-directed study in Mathematical Finance.
- Candidates will be expected to have substantive computer programing experience and an understanding of good software development practices. Preference will be given to candidates with credible Python experience.
- General experience in the energy sector and an understanding of energy market fundamentals and physical constraints would be an advantage. Specific experience working in a quantitative team in the energy sector would be a strong advantage.
- Strong commercial drive and curiosity to learn about how the EM&T business works, what it is trying to achieve and what the external market environment is like.
- Able to communicate complex issues in a clear, understandable manner to Traders, Originators, Management, Risk and other teams.
- Ability to work under pressure and to tight deadlines in a trading environment.
Centrica plc, a FTSE 100 company, has operations in UK, North America and Europe. With 30+ million customer-product relationships, Centrica's vision is to become the leading integrated supplier of energy and related services for its chosen markets and maximise value to shareholders. Centrica's brand names include British Gas, Direct Energy (North America). At Centrica, our purpose is to help people today and secure energy for tomorrow.