What we do
We source, store, ship and distribute agricultural products including coffee, sugar, molasses and grains. We trade those products around the world, and with some, we process and brand them for industrial customers and the supermarket shelves.
We help many of our customers manage pricing risk through financial products. For others we act as a broker, executing orders for hedge funds and professional traders. And we do our own clearing through exchanges, such as the Chicago Board of Trade and the London Metals Exchange.
Why we do it
There’s a lot of uncertainty in the world – situations change; crops fail – but we’re known for making sure our customers can still do business. It’s a stance we’ve held to be true since 1783.
For us, it’s about managing risk and providing security. For example, we help our farmers grow better-quality crops, more sustainably, by teaching them agricultural techniques that will keep their land productive for future generations.
That way we can help our growers achieve a better, more sustainable standard of living. And we help protect our customers from that price-change volatility with tools such as hedging and futures.
How we do it
We do business across the world, but we’re small enough that business feels personal.
As group of companies, we use our diverse strengths to help our customers succeed – not just the people who buy from us; we think of our colleagues and suppliers as customers too.
This exciting divisional role sits within the expanding Special Crops Division. This role offers excellent career progression and potential international travel.
Duties will include:
- Responsible for Monthly Management Accounts preparation for individual global entities (including multi-currency, intercompany recharging and reconciliation) and consolidated divisional accounts
- Preparation of year-end statutory accounts for global entities including liaison with auditors
- Working with ED&F Man Group Corporate functions including Finance, Tax, Treasury, Risk to deliver financial reporting requirements for the wider Group
- Ensuring local entities are complying with local regulations and statutory requirements
- Continually looking to improve systems and processes across finance, control, risk and treasury
- Work on ad hoc projects for example warehousing projects, inter-group trading opportunities and general problem solving
- Assisting the Head of Financial Reporting on Internal Audit & Stock Audit findings
- ACA / ACCA / CIMA Qualified
- You must have financial accounting or financial control experience however we are open to the sector experience. That said, experience within agriculture, oil & gas, mining or a company operating a similar structure - i.e. operating companies within different geographies (in particular, developing economies) will be favourably received
- Strong use of Microsoft packages especially Excel and PowerPoint. Previous experience of Microsoft Dynamics, Hyperion and ITAS would be beneficial but not a requirement
- Able to travel and deal with international challenges
Who We Are
Established in 1783, ED&F Man is an employee-owned agricultural commodities merchant with 7,000 people in 60 countries and annual revenue in excess of $10bn. We trade sugar, coffee, molasses, animal feed, grains and pulses. We help our counterparties manage price risk through hedging and provide access to commodity and capital markets through our brokerage business.
ED&F Man's pulses business, trading as Maviga, is a leading player in the international origination, processing and trading of dry edible pulses, seeds and other specialty crops. We work closely with farmers at point of production and use manual, mechanical and electronic sorting methods to precision clean and size material before it is packed and shipped to buyers. We put great emphasis on product quality, performance integrity and service commitment.
We own or operate processing facilities in over 35 origins and ship to over 60 destination markets around the world. With a strong presence in the major 'special crops' production areas of North America, Europe and Africa, we are able to provide buyers with reliable and timely information, enabling them to make sound purchase decisions.
Here at ED&F Man we are guided by our five company values: Respect, Integrity, Meritocracy, Client Focus and Entrepreneurship.
Our values are underpinned by a set of essential behaviours, which form part of our performance management approach. Delivering on our objectives is very much about 'what' we do, but these essential behaviours also provide a guide and measure for 'how' we do things.
As part of the annual performance review, all employees are measured either against a set of five Leadership Essentials if you are a people manager or four Performance Essentials if you are an individual contributor.
1. Drives Innovation
2. Leads People
3. Delivers Results
5. Manages Resources
1. Drives Innovation
2. Leads People
3. Delivers Results
Equal Opportunities Statement
ED&F Man is committed to promoting equal opportunities in employment. All qualified applicants will receive equal treatment without regard to race, colour, sex, gender, age, religion or belief, ethnic or national origin, marital or civil partner status, physical or mental disability, military or veteran status, sexual orientation, gender reassignment (identity, gender expression), genetic information or any characteristic protected by local law.