Product Controller - Apprenticeship
- London, England, United Kingdom
- Permanent, Full time
- Cantor Fitzgerald.
- 15 Jan 18 2018-01-15
Cantor Fitzgerald are looking for an ambitious finance individual who will train up to a Product Controller. The role is a level 7 apprenticeship taking the Apprentice all the way through to accounting professionally qualified status (ACCA/CIMA). This will run over a 36 month period whilst performing the role of Product Controller for Cantor Fitzgerald Europe (‘CFE’) and the Cantor Asian businesses.
Main purpose of the role:
Apprentices will take the professional exams of their chosen qualification and spend approximately 20% of their time devoted to development. Apprentices will also work on demonstrating key skills and behaviours such as leadership, communication, ethics and adding value that will be detailed in their training logs.
Product Control is a key financial reporting function, responsible for daily P&L reporting, monthly legal entity close bookings and balance sheet substantiation for Europe and Asia across the Institutional Trading Division, Corporate Finance and Debt & Capital Markets Division.
Liaising with functional support groups (trade support, front office IT, operations, treasury, regulatory, and legal entity control), the US group reporting teams and also front office traders and business management. The role also requires the individual to interact with senior management in finance and the front office businesses.
The role also means that the individual must be good at multi-tasking and is interested in an in depth understanding of the Cantor businesses, by interacting with the various aforementioned support groups, trading desks, and senior management. Due to the development of the business in Europe and Asia, the individual will play a key role in developing the systems infrastructure and ensuring it is robust and sufficiently controlled.
The role requires the candidate to assist with the month end and year end close process for product control and adheres to a 5-6 day month end closing schedule.
Key responsibilities :
- Prepare daily P&L for various trading desks in CFE.
- Perform daily and monthly IPV for trading inventories.
- Establishing accurate trading inventories which facilitate P&L reporting.
- Maintain and update models for charging out cash capital and liquidity reserves.
- Participate in the month end close by uploading and approving journals prepared by members of the team.
- Ensure the month end closing schedule is completed in an accurate & timely manner.
- Provide analysis to the business and senior management on an as needed basis – for example, a monthly comparison of reported to actual P&L analysis which explains the variances.
- Revenue and balance sheet substantiation at a currency level.
- Propose new procedures which streamline reporting, improve accuracy and efficiency.
- Assist with the implementation of new systems infrastructure.
- Liaise with External Auditors regarding account balances and product control processes.
- Someone willing to do a lot of manual processes using excel as we strive to improve our infrastructure over time.
- Assist with the Broker Compensation process: calculation, booking and reporting of performance on all aspects of variable compensation for front office individuals on monthly, quarterly and semi-annual pay-outs to those on an annual discretionary basis.
- Be alert to Conduct Risk issues, specifically the risk of harm to client interests, market integrity and/or competition in financial markets due to inappropriate practices or behaviours across the firm.
Skills / Competencies required :
- Bachelor’s degree (ideally Mathematics, Economics or Accountancy).
- Strong interest in and awareness of financial services with a desire to achieve a professional accounting qualification.
- Strong problem solving skill set.
- Communicate in a clear, articulate and appropriate manner. Adapt communications to suit different situations, individuals or teams.
- Ability to demonstrate the following behaviours: Continuous Improvement, Flexibility and Professional Scepticism.
- Interest in developing and continuously strengthening controls and processes.
- Willing to adapt to changing situations and willing to implement improvements to enhance efficiency and the control environment, when identified.
- Confidence and ability to interact with Front Office and functional support areas.
- An understanding of the importance of balance sheet substantiation and the integrity of the information that will be derived by the Product Control team.
- Works well with others – team oriented.
- Ability to multi task.
- Self-motivated who excels in a high pressure, hands on environment.
- Organised and able to prioritise under tight and conflicting deadlines.
System used :
- Fidessa and Bloomberg Front End Trading Platform
- SunGard Phase 3, Sub Ledger
- Spectrum FX
- Oracle General Ledger
- Hyperion Essbase
- MS Excel
- MS Word
Personal Attributes :
- Highly motivated, self-starter unafraid to ask questions and seek answers.
- Willing to take ownership, work without close supervision, while also being a team player.
- A good organiser with the ability to multi-task.
- Analytically minded