Principal Petroleum Economist
Under limited supervision, the Principal Economist functions as a member of Vantage asset valuation team to develop oil and gas assets' specific models, techniques and capabilities for income-based valuations of upstream and related energy investments.
- Act as a subject matter expert of fiscal, economic and financial analysis of upstream assets and related midstream segments. Develop stand-alone project level as well as portfolio and company level consolidated models. Ensure that the breadth and coverage of IHS Markit fiscal models covers all types and locations of properties as assigned. Provide advice on functionalities that should be extended to provide high quality fiscal analysis of international assets.
- Work in close co-operation with Vantage content experts and provide directions as required with regards to understanding of what type of results and analysis the customers want to see.
- Provide expert support to business development / sales, management and Vantage colleagues for marketing of Vantage, securing and retaining clients. Be the go-to person for international fiscal analysis and economic modelling with thought-provoking, qualitative and quantitative deliverables in the form of excel based models, written reports and client facing events. Interact with clients through answering inquiries and delivering presentations.
- Ensure that deliverables provide high-quality client-specific analysis. Respond to clients' deliverables-related questions of various complexity in assigned geographical regions by providing deep subject matter expertise and timely insight and judgement to address questions and/or refer questions to senior level staff in a timely manner to provide customer delight in situations of one-on-one client needs.
- Continuously develop expertise in a particular/designated practice or focus area and expand knowledge into related fields/disciplines by actively contributing to above listed activities and pursing activities/work in various disciplines and staying abreast of current/hot topics and contributing to written/published products to broaden and build upon subject matter knowledge.
- At least a bachelor's degree or studies towards a chartered qualification in economics, finance, tax, accountancy or law is a must. First degree in a technical / numerical discipline will be an advantage but not a principal requirement;
- Extensive hands-on experience of building Excel based fiscal, financial or economic models for income-based valuations of oil and gas / energy or other extractive businesses;
- Extensive experience with / ability to extract fiscal, financial, economic and commercial information from contracts, legislation, etc. and quantify it in the models;
- Knowledge of oil and gas upstream fiscal terms, broader petroleum economics and oil and gas industry will be an advantage;
- Experience in a similar role and with an oil and gas operator, consulting, advisory or financial institution;
- Highly numerical and analytical with expert level proficiency in Excel and ideally VBA coding;
- Knowledge of / experience with oil and gas industry economic modelling tools is a plus as knowledge of / interest to other programming languages;
- Fluency in English Language. Fluency in Spanish, Portuguese, French, Russian or Arabic would be an advantage.
- An equivalent combination of experience and education will be considered.
Inclusion and diversity are critical to the success of IHS Markit, and we actively encourage applications from people of all backgrounds. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability, status as a protected veteran, or any other protected category. For more information on the many ways in which we enthusiastically support inclusion and diversity efforts for both candidates and employees, please access our Inclusion & Diversity Statement here .
We are proud to provide reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities. If you are interested in applying for employment with IHS Markit and need special assistance or an accommodation to use our website or to apply for a position, please contact or call +1 212 849 0399. Determination on requests for reasonable accommodation are considered on a case-by-case basis. This contact information (email and phone) is intended for application assistance and accommodation requests only. We are unable to accept resumes or provide information about application status through the phone number or email address above. Resumes are only accepted through the online application process, and only qualified candidates will receive consideration and follow-up.
IHS Markit maintains a substance-free workplace; employees may be asked to submit to a drug test (where permitted by law). In addition, as a federal contractor in the United States, the company participates in the E-Verify Program to confirm eligibility to work.
For information please click on the following links:
IHS Markit Business Code of Conduct
Right to Work
EEO is the Law
EEO is the Law Supplement
Pay Transparency Current Colleagues
If you are currently employed by IHS Markit, please apply internally via the Workday internal careers site.