Principal Cloud Developer
Who we're looking for
We are looking for a seasoned and highly technical Principal Cloud Engineer to come and join our Enterprise Cloud Core Platform engineering team and be part of the multi-year cloud transformation program that we have embarked upon. We require someone who has in-depth experience of engineering and integrating cloud platforms and services, someone who has worked with development and business agile teams on successful, medium-large scale, cloud migrations and who has a deep understanding of cloud best practices, industry trends, modern technologies and new ways of working.
We're a global investment manager. We help institutions, intermediaries and individuals around the world invest money to meet their goals, fulfil their ambitions, and prepare for the future. We have around 5,000 people on six continents. And we've been around for over 200 years but keep adapting as society and technology changes. What doesn't change is our commitment to helping our clients, and society, prosper.
We moved into our new HQ in the City of London in 2018. We're close to our clients, in the heart of the UK's financial centre. We offer flexible working appropriate for a client solution focussed role and facilities that include an onsite gym (a good one at that!), doctors, dentist, restaurant, coffee shop and garden balconies.
You will be part of the Enterprise Cloud team that is comprised of two functions, the Cloud Centre of Excellence covering Azure and AWS Platform SRE, Core Platform SRE, Classic Hosting SRE, Cloud Enablement, Cloud Architecture and Strategy as well as the Cloud Business Office who cover Cloud Programme Management, Training & Knowledge Management, FinOps, MI Reporting and Governance. You will be part of the AWS Platform SRE team responsible for building our best in class AWS platform, fully integrated into the broader Schroders technology ecosystem providing a great user experience to the Schroders development and business community who consume cloud services. You will join a highly technical team who are solely focused on building leading-edge cloud services platforms who are integral to a successful cloud adoption and migration programme over the next 3 years.
What you'll do
• Engineer a best in class foundational Cloud platform on AWS
• Enable our advanced Quant and Data Science users' cloud migration by maintaining and enhancing self-service PaaS platforms and data services hosted on AWS.
• Engineer and integrate cloud solutions & services to industry best practice with scalability, fault tolerance, highly resilient, highly secure, observability, and simplicity in mind
• Devise innovative ideas for solving hard technical problems involving distributed systems, scale and security and translate these ideas into designs and implementation
• Work with peers to refine the cloud strategy, cloud adoption plan & cloud migration plan
• Work closely with development teams to help them through the cloud journey, evaluate and identify new cloud service requirements, and engineer and implement globally
• Identify, triage, and constantly automate and evolve the platform by pushing for change that improves reliability, operability and developer experience
• Every week solve exciting new challenges with an amazing team and technology stack
• Employ exceptional problem-solving skills, with the ability to see and solve issues before they affect business productivity
• Engineer solutions that are fully automated using infrastructure-as-code and integrated in the CI/CD toolchain
The knowledge, experience and qualifications you need
• Experienced in designing, engineering, and implementing cloud solutions on AWS
• Experience of cloud transformation and change programs across technology organizations
• Strong experience across the infrastructure stack with Virtualisation, Kubernetes, Windows, Linux, environments as well as Storage, Database and Networking.
• Experience with modern DevOps tooling (e.g., GIT, Azure DevOps, Terraform, Azure ARM, Jenkins, Ansible, Puppet, Docker, Kubernetes)
• Some exposure to full-stack solutions, including node.js, TypeScript and React based front-ends and APIs.
• Deep understanding of PaaS, Infra-as-Code, Compliance-as-Code, and when/how to use & enable
• Experience with modern engineering and agile practices as well as shift left CI/CD
• Passionate about building and delivering services via APIs
• Experienced with scripting and/or ideally one language, (e.g., Python, .NET, PowerShell, Nodejs, Ruby, Java)
• Proven ability to collaborate with multi-disciplinary teams of business analysts, developers, data scientists, and subject matter experts
• Deep understanding of broader cloud ecosystem including Cloud Computing Technologies, business drivers and leading-edge cloud emerging technologies and trends.
• Solid interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to self-manage
The knowledge, experience and qualifications that will help
• University degree in Information Technology, Computer Science or related discipline
• AWS cloud certifications
• Understanding Cloud Service capabilities and relative strengths (AWS, Azure, GCP, Ali)
• Experience of Power BI, Azure Power Platform
What you'll be like
• A passionate technologist
• An engineer who has the hunger and desire to learn new technologies
• An advocate of cloud, cloud adoption and cloud transformation
• Someone who embraces collaboration and change
We're looking for the best, whoever they are
Schroders is an equal opportunities employer. You're welcome here whatever your socio-economic background, race, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, religious belief, age or disability.