Principal Analyst Developer
Who we're looking for
We're after a very experienced and capable developer to deliver high-quality software, quickly and reliably, that has a tangible impact on our business.
You must be proficient and up-to-date in your field, have a good idea of how to design software for future supportability and extensibility, and be able to command the respect of your engineering peers immediately.
You will spend time working on delivery, guiding design and implementation, spotting opportunities to improve what we do, sharing new ideas and best practice, and measuring the difference you make.
You'll need to be a versatile and active developer, and be able to express your ideas clearly, without being too wedded to them. You'll put collaboration at the heart of your approach to software development, inviting input widely and making sure all voices are heard.
We're a global investment manager. We help institutions, intermediaries and individuals around the world invest money to meet their goals, fulfil their ambitions, and prepare for the future.
We have around 5,000 people on six continents. And we've been around for over 200 years, but keep adapting as society and technology changes. What doesn't change is our commitment to helping our clients, and society, prosper.
Technology at Schroders
Schroders Global Technology (GT) function is organised into a number of teams, distributed across Schroders' global offices, with Technology hubs in London, Zurich, Luxembourg, Singapore and New York.
The software development and technology change function is split between five domains: Investment Technology; Digital, Distribution and Marketing Technology; Operations and Private Assets Technology; Corporate Technology; and Wealth Technology.
In addition there are teams which operate as shared services to Technology namely Infrastructure Production Services (production support, release and access control), Information Security and Risk, Enterprise Technology and the GT Management Office in which sit our Business Management teams (change management, assurance and reporting) and our Chief of Staff.
Our application estate comprises commercially-available off-the-shelf software packages best suited to Schroders' operational needs, complimented by a number of internally-developed proprietary systems to support the specific needs of the clients and products that our colleagues support.
The Global Technology vision is to ensure a stable operating environment that can function at multiple speeds, that focuses on value delivered to our external and internal customers. With a culture of excellence through collaboration, innovation and continuous improvement, Global Technology enables Schroders to deliver the best outcomes for clients and shareholders.
In order to ensure that the emergent technology needs of our clients, regulators and internal stakeholders are able to be met quickly and effectively Schroders has implemented agile working practices within Global Technology. So that this is achieved without compromising the stability and security of the platform, Schroders Global Technology is implementing a bespoke agile operating model, based on the SAFe methodology, which ensures that technology support and infrastructure is unaffected and the requisite governance and control is in place.
The Corporate Technology department provides global system development and support capability for over 50 applications used by our Corporate Services stakeholders such as Finance, Compliance, Legal, HR, Procurement and Risk. The application technology stack managed by the team consists primarily of 3rd party software, both Cloud hosted and on premise.
We moved into our new HQ in the City of London in 2018. We're close to our clients, in the heart of the UK's financial centre. And we have everything we need to work flexibly.
The Corporate Governance team is responsible for over 20 applications for their various stakeholders and these comprise of 3rd party software and in-house built applications, predominantly Cloud-hosted.
What you'll do
• Work across applications, guiding design and development, and getting your hands dirty on implementation
• Lead software development with your technical expertise, design excellence, and up-to-date and innovative thinking
• Bring the experience and know-how to find the right balance between fast delivery, and longer term sustainable delivery
• Drive a continuous delivery approach that focusses on developing software iteratively, with fast feedback loops, frequent releases, and a "shift-left" approach to testing
• Develop automated processes to prevent, identify, and fix problems that impact service availability
• Contribute to peer code reviews and the preparation of releases for the entire Agile Team
• Drive interactions with our community of technologists to describe & own the work produced by team
• Work closely with the Solutions Architect to ensure that standards are adhered to and any necessary architectural or technical debt is recorded with a realistic plan to remediate
• Play a key role in familiarising the wider team, with software development tools and best practice.
• Maintain an understanding of industry trends and how new technologies can be leveraged to meet business objectives
• Engage actively in Agile planning including story refinement, demos and retrospectives
• Continually look for ways to improve your own skills and experience
• Support other team members to improve their own software development skills
The knowledge, experience and qualifications you need
• Wide, detailed, and up-to-date experience of the technologies and tools in your area
• Plenty of experience in the full lifecycle of developing software from the first idea to the final execution
• An excellent understanding of testing approaches and putting testability at the heart of software design and development
• A strong, and long, background in the C# language and .Net platform, while also being up-to-date with the latest language changes
• Solid experience with developing applications using Azure functions and Cloud development in general
• Familiar with developing workflow-driven applications using 0365 Power Platform (PowerAutomate, PowerApps) or similar workflow technologies e.g. ServiceNow, Nintex
• Experience working with Middleware and implementing interfaces (REST, ODATA etc.)
• Agile delivery experience, especially around discovering requirements, and breaking those down into features and stories
• Good experience of buy-vs-build decisions and the trade-offs between these options, and of vendor product technical due diligence
• Excellent written and spoken English, and strongly developed communication skills to help manage relationships with stakeholders of all levels
The knowledge, experience and qualifications that will help
• Familiar with developing applications with MS SQL Server, MS SSIS, MS SSAS, MS SSRS and UC4 Automic
• Familiar with DevOps tools such as ADO and Octopus and git version control and common branching strategies
What you'll be like
• You'll be able to remain friendly and positive when under pressure
• You'll be someone who shows initiative and thrives in a fast-paced and time-critical business environment
• You'll be self-motivated and keen to improve engineering across Schroders
• An excellent communicator, in both verbal and written forms
• Able to explain technical decisions and their rationale to senior management, product owners, and other non-technical stakeholders
• A coach and sounding board who's friendly, approachable, and takes time to understand others' views
• A collaborative and inclusive technical leader who seeks input widely and ensures everyone's views are heard
• Down-to-earth, honest, straightforward, and able to stand your ground without being confrontational
• You'll be someone who naturally holds themselves accountable, demonstrates integrity and deals fairly with everyone
• A keen technologist who follows the latest trends, technology, and engineering approaches
We're looking for the best, whoever they are
Schroders is an equal opportunities employer. You're welcome here whatever your socio-economic background, race, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, religious belief, age or disability.