Principal Analyst Developer
Who we're looking for
We're looking for an expert Python engineer, preferably with experience working with Quant/Research Analysts and Data Scientists, to work within the Schroders Front Office Asset Management Technology team.
We're after a passionate technologist who can architect applications and data processing and analytical tools from inception through to production. You'll work with likeminded technologists, with a variety of skill sets, focused on building applications and platforms using modern, appropriate technologies.
Ideally, you'll have a good understanding of asset management and financial markets.
We're a global investment manager. We help institutions, intermediaries and individuals around the world invest money to meet their goals, fulfil their ambitions, and prepare for the future.
We have around 5,000 people on six continents and we've been around for over 200 years, but keep adapting as society and technology changes. What doesn't change is our commitment to helping our clients, and society, prosper.
Technology at Schroders
There's a huge amount of change going on at Schroders. Technology's shaping our business more and more, so there are many opportunities waiting to be grabbed. And because we're a big financial player, we can put hefty backing behind good ideas.
We're a serious business - we have enormous responsibilities to our clients and shareholders. But just because we're suited and booted, that doesn't make us stuffy; our tech teams are friendlier and more informal than you might expect.
We moved into our new HQ in the City of London in 2018, located close to our clients in the heart of the UK's financial centre. We offer flexible working appropriate for a client solutions focussed role as well as a modern working environment with onsite health and wellbeing amenities.
The Global Front Office Technology function supports a number of front office businesses in building out and maintaining an innovative set of tools in support of Alpha generation. These include solutions for complex modelling, investment strategy, investment risk, quantitative and systematic investments, data driven investment processes and some innovative aspects of trading. The team works very closely with the front office teams and often co-create the Technology platforms with an emphasis on a stable operating environment that can function at multiple speeds and levels of scale. Our primary goal is to deliver value through Technology domain expertise and robust solutions to our customers.
What you'll do
• Be part of a technology team with a high visibility, working on a key growth area and strategic initiative for the firm.
• Predominantly working across the backend development using data-centric python.
• Build reusable components and packages for future use.
• Peer review code and refactor existing code.
• Collaborating with frontend developers.
• Work closely and co-create with Quant/Research Analysts and Data Scientists to build and migrate code from development through to production.
• Coach and develop more junior team members, ensuring that best practices and methodologies are followed.
The knowledge, experience and qualifications you need
• Strong Python development experience, preferably in an enterprise environment.
• Experience working with Python frameworks particularly Flask and Django.
• Experience building REST APIs.
• Python library knowledge including packages such as Pandas, Numpy and Numba.
• Proven track required of designing and delivering key systems.
• Experience with both SQL and NoSQL database platforms.
• A drive to deliver with an ability to own a piece of work from start to finish.
• An understanding of data structures and common data transformation methodologies.
• Able to work in a modern software engineering environment, using Agile and DevOps methodologies and tools including Scrum, XP, TDD, git and CI/CD.
• Able to deal credibly with business and technical users at all levels of the organisation.
The knowledge, experience and qualifications that will help
• Proficiency in the Linux environment.
• Experience using Docker containers and preferably Kubernetes.
• Experience with cloud (Azure and AWS).
• A Computer Science and Banking/Financial Services background.
• Worked closely with Quant/Research Analysts and Data Scientists.
What you'll be like
• Passionate about technology and how it evolves.
• A problem solver with a business facing personality.
• Able to work under pressure, on several priorities at once.
• Great at working with other people, sharing and communicating ideas.
We're looking for the best, whoever they are
Schroders is an equal opportunities employer. You're welcome here whatever your socio-economic background, race, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, religious belief, age or disability.