Newton, Responsible Investment Research Analyst
Newton Investment Management is one of BNY Mellon Investment Management's specialists, and are a London-based global investment house with expertise in a range of disciplines, including global, regional and emerging-market equities, multi-asset strategies, absolute return investing and global bonds. A global, thematic approach to investment helps them achieve long-term perspective on global financial markets and economies, and identify areas of long-term risk and opportunity. Their belief is that responsible investment is better investment for clients and they consider ESG (environmental, social and governance) issues in relation to every company in which they invest. Newton is part of BNY Mellon Investment Management, one of the world's largest investment managers. Our Values:
Trusted: We work in an open and honest way and with transparency. We do what we say we will do and work towards a common goal. We act with honesty and integrity and always do what is right. We make good informed decisions and act in the best interest of Newton and its clients. Our clients trust us to do the right thing.
Collaborative: We work together to create solutions for the benefit of the business and our clients. We recognise diversity and innovation as valuable tools in achieving our goals. We search out new opportunities and ideas by involving the right people in discussions and decision making. We welcome different perspectives in our pursuit of the best possible solution. We work in partnership with our clients.
Open-minded: We consider new ideas and strategies and identify new and different ways of being successful. We are flexible and open to change even when that change challenges our current viewpoint. We welcome different perspectives and diversity of thought to keep our approaches' innovative and current. We are curious about the opinions of others and recognise their contributions.
Accountable: We take ownership of our role in driving the business forward and meeting our business objectives. We own the explicit decision making process and acknowledge our successes and areas of development as a basis for improvements without blame. We have clear defined roles and work together to ensure hand offs and jointly owned functions are delivered effectively. We are empowered to work autonomously and take pride in our personal contributions.
Purposeful; We share a clear set of goals and strategies and work towards them collectively to fulfil our business objectives. We have a clear set of standards and approaches that provide context and guidance to our purpose. We are deliberate in how we work with our clients and stakeholders differentiating us from our competitors. We operate with clear intent delivering solutions as efficiently and effectively as possible.
Dynamic: We adapt to the changing market conditions and explore new and innovative solutions to support our clients changing needs. We encourage idea generation and progress new ideas and opportunities quickly. We are agile and flexible demonstrating a willingness to change to remain competitive. We are energised, enthusiastic and challenge how and what we do to remain relevant.
Entrepreunerial: We have the conviction to generate new ideas and recognise the need for experimentation and diversity of thought. We are agile and faced paced using effective decision making to agree and drive forward or dismiss and continue to search for a solution. We work with our colleagues, stakeholders and clients to create innovative future proof solutions and deliver them in a timely manner. We think like owners and recognise the personal contribution we make in supporting Newton's continuing success. Job Purpose
The successful candidate will work in Newton's A+ rated responsible investment team, carrying out research and analysis on environmental, social and governance matters. This includes providing expert opinion on ESG themes and companies that relate to sector-specific ESG responsibilities.
He or she will work closely with the wider investment team and will have an important role in influencing and engaging directly with companies. The individual will contribute to investment themes and help evolve Newton's approach to responsible and sustainable investment. There will also be opportunities to represent Newton externally by way of client presentations, participating in industry groups and addressing conferences. Key Responsibilities
- Maintain a thorough knowledge of the process, products, trends and developments within the industries and sectors and themes researched from an ESG perspective, and contribute to the house policy and strategy around these topics.
- Develop an understanding of the competitive position of companies and products, and of the capabilities of management teams.
- Have an understanding of the strategic position of different industries within the global economy.
- Have an ambition to become a recognised thought leader within the responsible and sustainable investment environment.
- Actively contribute to Newton's global and regional investment meetings, the research recommended lists, and strategic and economic frameworks.
- Make ESG quality review recommendations which are suitable for the investment requirements of the house and helping to achieve clients' investment objectives.
- Contribute to the team's 'power of veto' on sustainable investment opportunities where appropriate.
- Work with and influence the companies in which Newton invests through active engagement.
- Identify and support investment ideas with timely and well-written research, and be responsive to research prioritisations.
- Contribute to ESG meetings with companies and produce meeting notes and opinions for circulation to the wider firm.
- Contribute to thought leadership within the space, and have a genuine interest in evolving the debate around ESG issues.
- Undertake research that is creative and imaginative and pushes boundaries.
- Present investment information to clients and consultants in a clear and concise manner, tailoring the information presented to the audience's requirements.
- Contribute to the evolution of Newton's approach to responsible and sustainable investment.
- Liaise with dealing, business development, marketing and other areas of the business as required.
- A strong appreciation and understanding of the ESG factors that exist within listed companies, either from an investment perspective, corporate position or consulting background.
- Applying this knowledge into recognising material issues that might or might not affect companies in the future, and understanding how this could impact potential investment opportunities.
- A strong feel for what a good company looks like, and an ability to make recommendations on investments based upon this.
- Communicate convincingly and persuasively in writing and verbally to both internal and external clients.
- The ability to engage and interact at a policy level across the industry and use this to influence investments in a positive manner.
BNY Mellon Investment Management is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer
#LI-DB2 BNY Mellon is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. Our ambition is to build the best global team - one that is representative and inclusive of the diverse talent, clients and communities we work with and serve - and to empower our team to do their best work. We support wellbeing and a balanced life, and offer a range of family-friendly, inclusive employment policies and employee forums. Primary Location:
United Kingdom-Greater London-London Job:
Asset Management Internal Jobcode:
Newton-HR06148 Requisition Number: