Newton, Investment Risk Analyst
Newton Investment Management is one of BNY Mellon Investment Management's specialists, and are a London-based global investment house with expertise in a range of disciplines, including global, regional and emerging-market equities, multi-asset strategies, absolute return investing and global bonds. A global, thematic approach to investment helps them achieve long-term perspective on global financial markets and economies, and identify areas of long-term risk and opportunity. Their belief is that responsible investment is better investment for clients and they consider ESG (environmental, social and governance) issues in relation to every company in which they invest. Newton is part of BNY Mellon Investment Management, one of the world's largest investment managers. Our Values:
• Trusted: We work in an open and honest way and with transparency. We do what we say we will do and work towards a common goal. We act with honesty and integrity and always do what is right. We make good informed decisions and act in the best interest of Newton and its clients. Our clients trust us to do the right thing.
• Collaborative: We work together to create solutions for the benefit of the business and our clients. We recognise diversity and innovation as valuable tools in achieving our goals. We search out new opportunities and ideas by involving the right people in discussions and decision making. We welcome different perspectives in our pursuit of the best possible solution. We work in partnership with our clients.
• Open-minded: We consider new ideas and strategies and identify new and different ways of being successful. We are flexible and open to change even when that change challenges our current viewpoint. We welcome different perspectives and diversity of thought to keep our approaches' innovative and current. We are curious about the opinions of others and recognise their contributions.
• Accountable: We take ownership of our role in driving the business forward and meeting our business objectives. We own the explicit decision making process and acknowledge our successes and areas of development as a basis for improvements without blame. We have clear defined roles and work together to ensure hand offs and jointly owned functions are delivered effectively. We are empowered to work autonomously and take pride in our personal contributions.
• Purposeful; We share a clear set of goals and strategies and work towards them collectively to fulfil our business objectives. We have a clear set of standards and approaches that provide context and guidance to our purpose. We are deliberate in how we work with our clients and stakeholders differentiating us from our competitors. We operate with clear intent delivering solutions as efficiently and effectively as possible.
• Dynamic: We adapt to the changing market conditions and explore new and innovative solutions to support our clients changing needs. We encourage idea generation and progress new ideas and opportunities quickly. We are agile and flexible demonstrating a willingness to change to remain competitive. We are energised, enthusiastic and challenge how and what we do to remain relevant.
• Entrepreunerial: We have the conviction to generate new ideas and recognise the need for experimentation and diversity of thought. We are agile and faced paced using effective decision making to agree and drive forward or dismiss and continue to search for a solution. We work with our colleagues, stakeholders and clients to create innovative future proof solutions and deliver them in a timely manner. We think like owners and recognise the personal contribution we make in supporting Newton's continuing success. Job Purpose
To conduct detailed qualitative and quantitative investment risk analysis with limited direction. To provide ownership and oversight of Newton's quantitative investment risk systems and models and fulfil responsibilities to ensure that systems remain valid and appropriate in accordance with documentation and testing standards. To provide monitoring and oversight of Newton's assets and portfolios to identify, assess, monitor and, where appropriate, mitigate investment risks in accordance with Newton's investment risk framework, policies, and procedures. To produce and present investment risk analysis to internal governance and investment forums highlighting and communicating the work of Newton's independent Investment Risk Team. Key Responsibilities
- To undertake analysis of portfolios with the aim of providing insight into the management of the portfolios and any investment risk issues that may be present
- To maintain, develop, and interrogate Newton's Investment Risk Framework and investigate areas of potential concern from a risk perspective, escalating appropriately through the governance structure
- Regular provision of analysis to the Investment Risk Oversight Group (IROG) and related groups/committees.
- To undertake and present own analysis to relevant forums and to inform discussions over any highlighted issues or concerns
- Production of packs and contribution to investment risk related meetings
- Resolution of action points and continuing analysis arising out of areas of research presented to the IROG meetings.
- Support and production of routine analysis and reporting from ex-ante Risk Models
- Provision of appropriate investment risk information to the investment team
- Maintain enhanced knowledge of the risk systems and analytical techniques and systems used for data retrieval and reporting
- Maintain and administrator documentation, validation, and back testing of Newton's investment risk systems
- Liaise and respond with internal and external parties in relation to the suitability of Newton's investment risk systems
- Manage the ongoing appropriateness of Newton's investment risk modelling tools through collaboration with BNY Mellon's Model Risk Management Group (MRMG), ensuring that all models are at all times fully approved and in line with all appropriate policy requirements.
- Maintain a good knowledge of Newton's fund range and product offering.
- To assist with the minuting and recording of discussion at all investment risk related meetings.
- To undertake development of new analytical tools and reporting to assist with the understanding of portfolios managed by Newton.
- To provide monitoring and oversight of derivative positions held within Newton portfolios.
- Assist client relationship and business development teams with investment risk information as appropriate
- Act as a general resource for investment risk related information to senior management
- To contribute to independent research on Newton's fund range, the drawing of conclusions and the presentation of analysis at the appropriate forum.
BNY Mellon is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. Our ambition is to build the best global team - one that is representative and inclusive of the diverse talent, clients and communities we work with and serve - and to empower our team to do their best work. We support wellbeing and a balanced life, and offer a range of family-friendly, inclusive employment policies and employee forums. Primary Location:
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent with a strong bias towards mathematics.
- Advanced degree desirable but not essential.
- Strong financial acumen and financial/quantitative modelling skills required.
- Experience with investment risk and financial factor risk modelling systems such as Blackrock Aladdin or MSCI Barra desirable but not essential.
- Experience with coding languages such as Python or SQL and Business Intelligence tools such as Business Objects or Tableau desirable but not essential.
United Kingdom-Greater London-London Job:
Asset Management Internal Jobcode:
Newton-HR06148 Requisition Number: