Newton, Compliance Monitoring Analyst
Newton Investment Management is one of BNY Mellon Investment Management's specialists and are a London-based global investment house with expertise in a range of disciplines, including global, regional and emerging-market equities, multi-asset strategies, absolute return investing and global bonds. A global, thematic approach to investment helps them achieve long-term perspective on global financial markets and economies and identify areas of long-term risk and opportunity. Their belief is that responsible investment is better investment for clients, and they consider ESG (environmental, social and governance) issues in relation to every company in which they invest. Newton is part of BNY Mellon Investment Management, one of the world's largest investment managers. Our Values:
- Trusted: We work in an open and honest way and with transparency. We do what we say we will do and work towards a common goal. We act with honesty and integrity and always do what is right. We make good, informed decisions and act in the best interest of Newton and its clients. Our clients trust us to do the right thing.
- Collaborative: We work together to create solutions for the benefit of the business and our clients. We recognise diversity and innovation as valuable tools in achieving our goals. We search out new opportunities and ideas by involving the right people in discussions and decision making. We welcome different perspectives in our pursuit of the best possible solution. We work in partnership with our clients.
- Open-minded: We consider new ideas and strategies and identify new and different ways of being successful. We are flexible and open to change even when that change challenges our current viewpoint. We welcome different perspectives and diversity of thought to keep our approaches' innovative and current. We are curious about the opinions of others and recognise their contributions.
- Accountable: We take ownership of our role in driving the business forward and meeting our business objectives. We own the explicit decision-making process and acknowledge our successes and areas of development as a basis for improvements without blame. We have clear defined roles and work together to ensure hand offs and jointly owned functions are delivered effectively. We are empowered to work autonomously and take pride in our personal contributions.
- Purposeful; We share a clear set of goals and strategies and work towards them collectively to fulfil our business objectives. We have a clear set of standards and approaches that provide context and guidance to our purpose. We are deliberate in how we work with our clients and stakeholders differentiating us from our competitors. We operate with clear intent delivering solutions as efficiently and effectively as possible.
- Dynamic: We adapt to the changing market conditions and explore new and innovative solutions to support our clients changing needs. We encourage idea generation and progress new ideas and opportunities quickly. We are agile and flexible demonstrating a willingness to change to remain competitive. We are energised, enthusiastic and challenge how and what we do to remain relevant.
- Entrepreneurial: We have the conviction to generate new ideas and recognise the need for experimentation and diversity of thought. We are agile and faced paced using effective decision making to agree and drive forward or dismiss and continue to search for a solution. We work with our colleagues, stakeholders and clients to create innovative future proof solutions and deliver them in a timely manner. We think like owners and recognise the personal contribution we make in supporting Newton's continuing success.
To provide assurance that regulatory risk is being adequately managed within the Newton business. Comply with all corporate policies and procedures operating within the department. Alert management immediately of any significant changes to business risks and internal controls effectiveness. Notify management and/or Compliance immediately on discovery of any regulatory breach. Comply with Health and Safety policies and procedures operating within the business. Key Responsibilities
TCF, Regulatory and Compliance Responsibilities
- Responsible for assisting with the execution of the Newton thematic monitoring programme to include:
- Planning thematic monitoring assignments and executing them in a timely manner in line with the agreed thematic monitoring plan and BNYM Global Thematic Monitoring procedures
- Conducting the pre-scoping exercise for each monitoring review (including meeting with key stakeholders), documenting the scope
- Conducting all field work, evaluating risk and processes and procedures, documenting all testing and sampling.
- Compiling and organising all review documentation and testing output to ensure a clear audit trail
- Drafting reports and agreeing issues with stakeholders
- Working though the QA process and liaising with the Head of Compliance, the Monitoring Manager and key business stakeholders to confirm and document the monitoring issues and actions
- Chasing of issue / action closures
- Ongoing input of monitoring work to, and maintenance of the Compliance Monitoring system (ProAct)
- Demonstrating clear sense of accountability in performing the role.
- Contributing to the Compliance Department's assessment of the regulatory risks faced by Newton
- Involvement in ad hoc Compliance projects and tasks as appropriate
- Representing the monitoring team at governance committees and forums as required and/or preparing monitoring MI
- Assisting with oversight and management of temporary monitoring resources, including summer interns
- Providing any other compliance support as agreed and appropriate
- Management of own ongoing training schedule alongside core role of monitoring review work.
BNY Mellon Generic Staff Responsibilities
- Be aware, maintain knowledge and adhere to the relevant regulatory and legal obligation of the department, including local and wider group policies. This should include an understanding, and the appropriate application, of the FCA requirements, the Six Consumer Outcomes and Newton's TCF and CoI commitments. Report any suspected breaches to the Compliance or Legal departments, as appropriate immediately on discovery.
Experience and qualifications required:
- Comply with all BNY Mellon corporate policies and procedures applicable to the business
- Alert management immediately of any significant changes to business risks and internal control effectiveness.
- Notify management and/or Compliance immediately on discovery of any material regulatory breach.
- Comply with all Health & Safety policies and procedures operating within the business.
- Solid Compliance background, preferably in 2nd line risk based / thematic monitoring or possibly audit
- Demonstrate understanding of the remit and role of the 2nd line of defense and of Compliance review work in general
- Good level of knowledge of UK regulatory requirements essential, covering topics such as Market Abuse, Conflicts of Interest, TCF, Dealing and Managing, Best Execution, Financial Promotions
- Able to build and maintain relationships with key business stakeholders of all levels
- Able to synthesise, organise and evaluate large amounts of information, think logically and identify potential risks
- Experience of applying monitoring methodologies / audit methodology within financial organisations, preferably within the investment management industry
- Well organised self-starter, able to prioritise quickly and adapt to tight timeframes and meet deadlines
- Able to walk through processes and procedures and detect possible control weaknesses to target testing appropriately
- A good attention to detail balanced with ability to see a wider perspective.
BNY Mellon Investment Management is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer