Newton, Compliance Monitoring Analyst
- London, England, United Kingdom
- Permanent, Full time
- BNY Mellon Investment Management
- 20 Oct 18
Newton, Compliance Monitoring Analyst
To provide assurance that regulatory risk is being adequately managed within the Newton business.
Newton Investment Management Limited is an active investment management firm, using thematic ideas about the long-term investment landscape to create and manage strategies that help secure clients' futures. Newton thinks on a global basis, with its single London-based investment team working collaboratively across asset classes and regions. The firm builds bold solutions, designed to meet the real-world challenges clients face, and the team manage them responsibly in the broadest sense - through embedding environmental, social and governance considerations, and engaging on issues that affect their clients. Those clients are based around the world, and include pension funds, corporations and charities and, via Newton's parent company BNY Mellon, individuals.
With offices in London and New York, Newton has £49.8bn assets under management (as at 31 March 2018), including assets managed by Newton Investment Management Limited as dual officers of Newton Investment Management (North America) Limited and The Bank of New York Mellon. News and other information about Newton is available at www.newtonim.com and via Twitter: @NewtonIM.
Responsible for assisting with the execution of the Newton monitoring programme to include:
Planning monitoring assignments and executing them in a timely manner in line with the agreed monitoring plan and BNYM Global Monitoring procedures
Conducting the pre-scoping exercise for each monitoring review (including meeting with key stakeholders), documenting the scope
Conducting all field work, evaluating risk and processes and procedures, documenting all testing and sampling.
Compiling and organising all review documentation and testing output to ensure a clear audit trail
Drafting reports and agreeing issues with stakeholders
Working though the QA process and liaising with the Head of Compliance, the Monitoring Manager and key business stakeholders to confirm and document the monitoring issues and actions
Chasing of issue / action closures
Ongoing input of monitoring work to, and maintenance of the Global Compliance Monitoring system (GCMS)
Demonstrating clear sense of accountability in performing the role.
Contributing to the Compliance Department's assessment of the regulatory risks faced by Newton
Involvement in ad hoc Compliance projects and tasks as appropriate
Representing the monitoring team at governance committees and forums as required and/or preparing monitoring MI
Assisting with oversight and management of temporary monitoring resources, including summer interns
Providing any other compliance support as agreed and appropriate
Management of own ongoing training schedule alongside core role of monitoring review work.
- Solid Compliance background, preferably in 2 nd line risk based / thematic monitoring or possibly audit.
- Demonstrate understanding of the remit and role of the 2 nd line of defence and of Compliance review work in general.
- Good level of knowledge of UK regulatory requirements essential, covering topics such as Market Abuse, Conflicts of Interest, TCF, Dealing and Managing, Best Execution, Financial Promotions
- Able to build and maintain relationships with key business stakeholders of all levels.
- Able to synthesise, organise and evaluate large amounts of information, think logically and identify potential risks.
- Experience of applying monitoring methodologies / audit methodology within financial organisations, preferably within the investment management industry.
- Well organised self-starter, able to prioritise quickly and adapt to tight timeframes and meet deadlines.
- Able to walk through processes and procedures and detect possible control weaknesses to target testing appropriately.
- A good attention to detail balanced with ability to see a wider perspective.
BNY Mellon is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.
Primary Location: United Kingdom-Greater London-London
Job: Asset Management
Internal Jobcode: 50345
Requisition Number: 1815287