- Permanent, Full time
- Schroders Investment Management
- London, England, United Kingdom
- Full time
Network Engineer (CCNP)
Network Engineer (CCNP)Team Overview
IT at Schroders is not just about technology; it's about problem solving using cutting edge technology to support the business and deliver high end solutions. We encourage innovation and value excellence. We are a global function that's managed locally and this allows us to develop and deploy systems and processes across our international offices. To learn how we've grown, explore our interactive timeline to see how we've been shaping financial futures since our very beginnings.
Group IT Infrastructure is responsible for running all aspects of Infrastructure for Schroders globally. We have representative support personnel in most global offices, but the bulk of architecture & engineering happens in London, Singapore & New York. Historically the teams have operated in regional silos but this has now changed with the creation of a global Infrastructure strategy.
We also recognise that successfully balancing personal and professional commitments brings out the best in our teams and therefore all roles in Global Technology are reviewed for suitability for flexible working arrangements, with this specific opportunity available to applicants from 3 to 5 days per week. We passionately believe that individual performance is enhanced by embracing the whole individual and structuring a working environment that supports them.
The Global Network of Schroders is the back-bone for the company to function. We have a global network spanning 27 countries with 34 offices and numerous datacenters. We utilize many different types of networks including DWDM, MPLS, various point to point technologies and VPN. The LAN has undergone various upgrades in the past years, but now with the advent of several new datacenters and major projects, we're currently architecting what the future looks like. Video is becoming more pervasive with a large drive for real time communications. With the addition of many more real-time protocols onto the Schroders back-bone & LAN, we are enhancing the engineering teams to support & build them.
This role has been created as part of globalising the infrastructure teams & technologies for Schroders. This role will work on all areas of networks, network security & unified communications. The role will be working on technologies all over the Schroders world, with a large emphasis on being an engineer-lead infrastructure organization.
• Maintain, build and enhance the global network
• Be a key member of the network engineering team
• Build the global WAN, Wireless, Secured networks, internet connectivity
• Work closely with the Head of Global Communications on execution of strategies
• Work closely with the Global Operations & Engineering Manager on all BAU and Project activities.
• Work closely with the Global Networks Lead to ensure the network is fully configured to support real-time protocols for loss-sensitive applications.
• Work closely with the Global Networks Security Lead to ensure all designs & deployments are globally saleable and supportable
• Working as part of the team to develop SDN and cloud based environments
• Aiding the simplification and automation of the Schroders network estate
• Ensure all global deployments are done to a high standard, with all supporting documentation completed.
• Maintain high-levels of uptime across the entire communications estate
• Act as 3rd line for any and all major issues which arise.
General and Technical Skills:
• CCNP or above
• Strong Knowledge of routing & switching
• Knowledge of network virtualization
• In-depth knowledge of IP routing & network protocols.
• Good scripting skills shell scripting as well as python or perl and or PowerShell
• Good knowledge of network management systems
• Exposure to cloud based networking in environments such as AWS and Azure
• In-depth knowledge of Palo Alto and/ or Checkpoint firewall product set and management
• Exposure to Cisco video conferencing
• In-depth knowledge of network security
• In-depth knowledge of Wifi.
• In-depth knowledge of network protocols and the means to secure them.
• In-depth technical knowledge of security monitoring, traffic capture and analysis.
• In-depth knowledge of remote access systems.
• Good knowledge of technologies such as IDS/IPS, security monitoring systems and HSMs.
• Knowledge of SDN and automation.
• Strong analytical skills.
• Experience of operational support in a Global team.
• Positive attitude capable of remaining positive when under immense pressure
• A strong communicator, and able to bring teams on a journey of globalising.
• Someone who never accepts the status-quo. Someone who challenges why things are done the way they are.
• Someone who is capable of 'green-field' thinking. Capable of imaging how the global platform could look, and capable of creating a strategy to get us there.
• Work well with others, in a collaborative environment
• Be a global leader, provide clear direction and mentor the more junior staff.