Mid / Senior Data Scientist
- London, England, United Kingdom
- Permanent, Full time
- iwoca Ltd
- 23 Apr 19
Mid / Senior Data Scientist
Who are we?
iwoca is breaking down the barriers that stop Europe's 20 million small businesses from accessing finance. Traditional bank loans have slow application processes, inflexible terms and burdensome criteria. In contrast, we use cutting-edge technology to offer flexible access to credit with a five minute application process and a decision in seconds.
Since 2012, we've lent over £400 million to over 20,000 businesses across Europe. Our customers include everything from cafés to car dealers, salons to solicitors. Along the way we have built a sophisticated technology platform, won numerous awards and grown a fun, and vibrant team.
However, we're still near the start of our journey - our aim is to finance a million small businesses within a decade and so we need more smart, hands-on people to help us reach this goal.
We are looking for Data Scientists from strong analytical backgrounds that can take potentially ambiguous, real-world business problems and formulate statistical solutions, which can be implemented in a pragmatic way. We're looking for people who understand the limitations and assumptions of such a modelling process and can generate actionable insights and build effective predictive models.
- High calibre and diverse team of data scientists with a range of expertise.
- All members of the team have strong analytical backgrounds in Physics, Mathematics, Engineering etc, some with PhDs in their respective field.
- Broad and significant engagement in all steps of the problem solving process, including specification, solution proposal, implementation and delivery.
- Our development cycle is tight and incorporates elements of Agile processes, which means features or projects go live in days or weeks rather than months or years.
- We value personal development, constructive feedback, sharing knowledge and trying innovative solutions to problems.
What do we do?:
- Application of statistical modelling and machine learning techniques.
- Delivery of data driven solutions and predictions for a diverse range of business problems, including risk assessment and contact prioritisation.
- Development of real-time data pipelining and delivery of ML predictions.
- A/B testing and data analysis using statistical methods to generate insights and optimise existing and future business processes.
- Multi-disciplinary projects with the wider tech team and business stakeholders.
- Strong analytical background, e.g PhD or degree in Mathematics, Physics, Engineering, Computer Science or related field; or equivalent experience.
- Established experience from working in industry or an academic data analyst/scientist position.
- Experience with statistical data analysis, ability to generate well founded insights from potentially unstructured data.
- Proven practical experience of predictive modelling and pragmatic implementation of machine learning techniques to effectively solve real-world problems.
- Someone that isn't satisfied with just applying out-of-the-box models, you want to know how they work, when they work and why they work.
- Practical object-oriented programming experience: Python, Java, C/C++ or similar.
- Experience with some of the common Python data-science toolkits: Pandas, NumPy, SciPy, Scikit-learn.
- Experience with R, Matlab, and/or SQL would be beneficial.
- Self-starter with ability to work autonomously in a relatively unconstrained environment.
- A healthy skepticism and desire to build innovative, but practical, solutions to business problems.
- Love for coding and getting hands-on with the raw data to really understand the underlying processes and nuances of the problem.
You'll join a growing team of smart, humble and motivated people, all passionate about learning and developing themselves and united in their passion to grow an amazing business that revolutionises business finance.
In addition to a competitive salary, we also provide the following:
- A smart, fun and internationally diverse team - together, we represent over 35 different nationalities
- Company retreats in great locations - we have at least two per year in places like the French Alps and by the Spanish seaside
- A really lovely office in central London - we're right by Tottenham Court Road, and close to the bars, theatres and restaurants in Soho and Fitzrovia
- Pool, ping pong, foosball tables and tournaments, morning yoga and an ever-growing number of active clubs (you can set up your own!) - such as climbing, chess, cycling, football, running, boxing, etc
- Regular novelty perks such as free massages, which can be proposed by anyone in the team
- Plenty of drinks and snacks in our office kitchen
- Cycle-to-work scheme for great value bikes
- Company-wide talks with internal and external speakers
- Enhanced maternity/paternity leave and shared parental leave
- Stock options for all employees after 6 months within the business
- 25 days holiday a year, plus all UK Bank holidays, plus a day off for your birthday
- The opportunity to give your time to support a charity of your choice, via a paid volunteering day
- Additional leave so that you can take more time to go travelling or to study, outside of your holiday allowance
- Tickets to exciting tech conferences across Europe
- A calendar of tech meetups hosted on the premises
- Flexible working, including flexible hours and working from home days - all made easy with video conferencing and Slack