Media Relations Manager - Assistant Director - Permanent - London
This is a rare opportunity for an experienced media relations professional to join a well-respected in-house communications team, at one of the world's largest international accounting firms. The role is a full-time position.
Based in London this role will report directly to the Head of PR and External Affairs for the UK & Ireland. You will work closely with and be an integral part of the 15+ strong external communications and digital function for the UK and Ireland.
This role is aligned to a number of areas of the EY UK business, including the Advisory Service Line, EY's Economics for Business programme, and industry sector activity. Portfolios of responsibility are reviewed periodically. The Opportunity
You will act as an external communications adviser to senior leaders in the UK, supporting the firm's Advisory Service Line and EY's Economics for Business Unit: specifically managing media activity for EY ITEM Club (Our leading Independent Treasury Economic Model), EY's UK Attractiveness Survey and the Regions and City Forecast. You will also provide media support for some of EY's priority industry sectors.
A dynamic and assertive self-starter, you will have the intellectual rigour and creative flair to work with complex subject matter and turn this into compelling external communications campaigns aimed at the UK media and external influencers, including political audiences.
You will be part of an extended brand, marketing and communications team based in London and other regional locations, whilst also working alongside our Talent and HR teams. Your Key Responsibilities
Skills and attributes for success
- Working closely with EY's senior leaders, you will advise on and implement the firm's external communications strategy for our Advisory Service Line, Economics for Business Unit and some of EY's priority sectors.
- The communications strategy supports the firm's growth ambitions and business objectives, while building and protecting the firm's brand and reputation with our people and the market.
- Either from an in-house or agency background with experience of working with corporate, financial or professional services organisations, you will have experience of advising clients on how to build effective communication programmes which engage the UK media and other influencers.
To qualify for the role you must have
- A self-starter with a 'can-do' attitude and the drive and enthusiasm to get the job done
- Experience of working with and influencing senior executives / leadership
- Excellent networking experience / skills in a wide range of situations and with people at all levels within an organisation
- Initiative, coupled with accuracy and attention to detail, and reliability
Ideally, you'll also have
- Proven experience of creating and executing external communications strategies that support business objectives and produce measurable improvements in business performance
- Experience of working with a broad range of stakeholders, contributing to integrated communications and marketing campaigns
- A deep understanding of, and keen interest in, print and broadcast media relations
- Ability to work with trade bodies and third party organisations with which EY may be partnering
- Proven ability of forming strong and effective working relationships with journalists
- Excellent writing skills are fundamental
- Experience of using social media as part of an integrated communications campaign
What we look for
- Experience of translating complex economics content into compelling news-worthy material
- A strong team player and lateral thinker, comfortable working collaboratively, virtually and independently
- Experience of working in a complex, matrix environment
What working at EY offers
- A competent and highly motivated communications specialist with extensive stakeholder management experience at a senior level
We offer a competitive remuneration package where you'll be rewarded for your individual and team performance. Our comprehensive Total Rewards package includes support for flexible working and career development, and with FlexEY you can select benefits that suit your needs, covering holidays, health and well-being, insurance, savings and a wide range of discounts, offers and promotions. Plus, we offer:
- Support, coaching and feedback from some of the most engaging colleagues around
- Opportunities to develop new skills and progress your career
- The freedom and flexibility to handle your role in a way that's right for you
EY is committed to being an inclusive employer and we are happy to consider flexible working arrangements. We strive to achieve the right balance for our people, enabling us to deliver excellent client service whilst allowing you to build your career without sacrificing your personal priorities. While our client-facing professionals can be required to travel regularly, and at times be based at client sites, our flexible working arrangements can help you to achieve a lifestyle balance. About EY
As a global leader in assurance, tax, transaction and advisory services, we're using the finance products, expertise and systems we've developed to build a b etter working world. That starts with a culture that believes in giving you the training, opportunities and creative freedom to make things better. Whenever you join, however long you stay, the exceptional EY experience lasts a lifetime. And with a commitment to hiring and developing the most passionate people, we'll make our ambition to be the best employer by 2020 a reality. If you can confidently demonstrate that you meet the criteria above, please contact us as soon as possible. Join us in building a better working world. Apply now.