Media Relations Manager
Who we're looking for
We are looking for an experienced PR professional with a proven track-record in media communications and an in-depth knowledge of the investment and asset management industry. This role will support the Schroders in-house Media Relations Team focusing exclusively on Schroders UK intermediary business with a strategic objective to generate varied impactful coverage and meaningful engagement within the intermediary trade and personal finance media.
We're a global investment manager. We help institutions, intermediaries and individuals around the world invest money to meet their goals, fulfil their ambitions, and prepare for the future.
We have around 5,500 people on six continents. And we've been around for over 200 years, but keep adapting as society and technology changes. What doesn't change is our commitment to helping our clients and society to prosper.
The base / working hours
This is a full time external role based in the London HQ.
Schroders Media Relations team is responsible for Schroders public image and overall relationship with the media. The team focusses on all aspects of media relations and implementing the Schroders group media relations strategy on both specific product and thematic campaigns, building relationships with journalists from key publications in order to disseminate our messages to our target media.
We work with a range of journalists across the media landscape, from titles targeted at retail and consumer investors to ESG focussed institutional investor titles, with each requiring a different tone and focus.
The team sits centrally in the business, and therefore operates with all business areas from Investment to Technology, with opportunities to work closely with senior management across the business.
What you'll do
• Assist in implementing the group PR strategy for the UK Intermediary business, working closely with the media relations team and directly with the Head of Media Relations
• Support the media strategy development and its tactical implementation for all campaign activity including trust and fund launches for the business. Build visibility and helping to positively differentiate the Schroders proposition
• Manage press programmes for key senior investment and distribution spokespeople with the help of another PR team members who is focused on amplifying the brand awareness
• Responsible for establishing and maintaining relationships both internally and externally; with key UK national and consumer personal finance titles and press contacts, to ensure the business news for UK Intermediary is communicated and leveraged to maximum effect; also with senior spokespersons and key decision makers within our UK intermediary business
• Work with the media relations team to drive a collaboration approach on all media related projects
• The job holder has responsibility for ensuring that the output of all press releases and investment commentary are of both a high quality and accurate
The knowledge, experience and qualifications you need
• 5+ years of media relations experience (either in-house or in consultancy) or as a financial journalist
• Extensive Investment / Asset Management industry experience in media relations and/or journalism
• Technical financial acumen preferably with a focus on Investment Trusts
The knowledge, experience and qualifications that might help
• Experience of working as a journalist would be beneficial
• Degree qualification
• Asset Management media relations experience
What you'll be like
• Self-motivated and enthusiastic
• Flexible, highly curious and willing to learn
• A critical thinker who's able to look at stories and pick out key messages
• Excellent written and verbal English skills, understanding how nuances can influence communications
• Able to work under pressure, on several priorities at once, and to tight deadlines
• Great at working with other people, sharing and communicating decisions
• A driven person who enjoys exploring new avenues for new media relations opportunities
We're looking for the best, whoever they are
Schroders is an equal opportunities employer. You're welcome here whatever your socio-economic background, race, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, religious belief, age or disability.