We are looking for an experienced Market Data professional with both a commercial and business analyst background. Market Data Vendor and competing landscape knowledge across the key providers, the ability to negotiate and achieve good outcomes/improved terms, compliance awareness, self-starter and team player with the ability to follow process and close out all associated admin functions.
Who we’re looking for
The Commercial Manager role requires a good knowledge of Market Data operations with specific relevance to activities within an asset management company.
Commercial Management will require undertaking demand challenges with vendors as well as internal business groups to ensure effective cost-control, identification of saving opportunities and the consolidation/rationalisation of products within our supply chain.
You will identify key stakeholders to determine market data business requirements and you will be required to support the business by reviewing draft contracts and negotiating the commercials with our service providers.
The function will simultaneously need to provide suitable compliance oversight to ensure adherence to vendor terms and conditions. This will require significant interaction with internal groups to educate and manage operating behaviours.
This role also expects a strong background in the procurement of Index data, covering the key providers, their commercial policies, usage rights and associated challenges.
Previous knowledge around how a buy-side asset manager benefits from its use would also be beneficial.
Market Data Team Overview
The Market Data team is a specialist data content and Commercial Management function which provides industry-leading guidance and support for the acquisition, provisioning and governance of financial data to all areas of the firm globally.
Our mandate is to ensure we operate best practice standards in the maintenance and supply of Market Data. With a diverse user-base comes immensely varied requirements for data and we support these needs by utilising the subject matter expertise and financial knowledge that our team is expected to demonstrate.
Key Responsibilities for the Market Data Commercial Manager Role include:
- Support the contract renewals process through pipeline tracking and interaction with Business Analysis via our ‘High/Low’ and ‘Front to Back’ commercial processes
- Engagement with the standard BAU process of ordering data, with an additional split focus on handling Index requests via our process for indices
- Vendor liaison as an owner of the commercial relationships with our providers
- Support for service enablements and escalation point for service and vendor issues
- Advising potential & existing users and stakeholders about vendor policies and market data license restrictions
- Consultancy expertise to users / project teams at the contract level with regards to data usage and licensing
- Monitoring of application data consumption
- Inventory updates and related admin where necessary, including the operation of contract alarms
The knowledge, experience and qualifications
- A proven track record in Market Data, with strong experience in Market Data commercials, negotiations and compliance
- Good knowledge of Investment Management – what we do as a firm/how we make money
- Experience of working with vendors at both a strategic and tactical level, including Bloomberg, Factset, Refinitiv, Markit, FTSE and MSCI.
- A strong working knowledge of Index data, its use and how it is commercially packaged by providers is preferred.
- Awareness around Regulatory change impacts, particularly in the Index space.
- Experience of market data systems such as FITS, DART, DACS
- Excellent communication and relationship skills
- Attention to detail and a flexible attitude
- Able to work to tight deadlines, particularly in relation to diarised processes
- Strong MS-Office skills, especially Excel