M&A Senior Associate/VP
- London, England, United Kingdom
- Permanent, Full time
- 15 Apr 19
Our M&A team is currently seeking a Senior Associate/VP level candidate to join them. You would be part of a team, which - alongside Group Strategy, Investor Relations, Treasury and Aviva Ventures – forms part of the Corporate Finance under the leadership of our Chief M&A Officer.
We prepare and execute all M&A transactions within the Aviva Group and acts as a Centre of Excellence; providing extensive capability and deep knowledge. The role contributes directly to Aviva Group strategic activity, enabling decisions to be robustly challenged and financially compelling.
This is an exciting opportunity to accelerate your career by working on a diverse range of projects, gaining exposure to Aviva’s Group Executive and senior leaders across corporate centre and our major markets.
The role is based in London with travel in the UK and internationally as required.
Duties & responsibilities:
The role holder will be responsible for originating and running M&A projects for Aviva Group, reporting into the Director of M&A.
- Your work will entail financial and commercial analysis to inform decision-making as well as coordinating and contributing to the negotiation of transactions.
- You will provide timely, objective financial and commercial analysis, including structuring options for transactions across the Group. This may include review of potential strategic options, e.g. acquisitions, disposals, bancassurance and distribution agreements, restructuring, reinsurance arrangements and fund raisings.
- You will facilitate management of multiple stakeholders and parties across each transaction, providing mentorship, leadership and best practice knowledge as required.
- You will be accountable for ensuring the effective execution of transactions in line with the Group Transaction Standard.
- Working within best practice M&A processes and policies, you will operate comfortably at all levels of seniority, both internally and externally, with effective relationship management across virtual teams to ensure timely delivery of outcomes.
- You will also adopt and apply effective and efficient risk management and internal control systems, in line with agreed risk appetite, where necessary directing action plans to rectify ineffective controls and bring associated out of appetite risks within appetite.
- You will be keen to learn and develop and will benefit from significant training opportunities (both “on the job” training and weekly briefing sessions).
- You will be able to work quickly and deal with ambiguity, a fantastic influencer at all levels, and have a genuine aspiration to develop within Aviva.
What experience are we looking for?
- Extensive experience in M&A execution in financial institutions, either at an investment bank (likely to be at the Associate or Vice President level) or in a large/multi-national group.
- Broad experience and knowledge across accounting, actuarial, capital management, legal and treasury topics.
- Degree in economics or finance, or an accounting or actuarial qualification.
- Curiosity to develop insurance as well as FinTech/Digital expertise.
- Added advantage if multi-lingual, in particular, a language of one of Aviva’s international major markets.
What skills will you need to succeed?
- Strong financial, technical and analytical skills.
- Strong commercial ability with sound business and transaction judgement.
- Adept at moving between strategic, business and commercial considerations.
- Good leadership skills, with the ability to bring people with you and deliver through others.
- Excellent communicator, both written and presenting skills.
- Ability to communicate, challenge and influence at a senior level, handling key stakeholders and ensuring business needs are met.
- Good project management skills, with proven ability to manage workloads and deliver to deadlines.
- Comfortable working in an environment which has high expectations and challenge.
- A desire to work on a variety of projects (long and short durations) with the ability to quickly get up to speed and be comfortable with new situations and scenarios.
- Capable of working internationally with ease and able to travel.
- Sensitive to cultural and business differences globally.
What will you get for this role?
- A competitive salary depending on skills, experience and qualifications;
- Generous defined contribution pension scheme;
- Annual performance related bonus and pay review;
- 29 days plus bank holidays and the option to buy/sell up to 5 additional days;
- Up to 40% discount for some Aviva products through “My Aviva Extras” plus discounts for Friends and Family (some exclusions apply);
- Excellent range of flexible benefits to include a matching share save scheme.
Additional Information and Equal Opportunity
One of Aviva’s core values is Care More, and this is brought to life through the flexible ways we like to work. This may include working from home some of the time, or flexible work schedules to accommodate parent and carer responsibilities, further studies and hobbies.
Our diversity and inclusion policies and initiatives are shaping an environment where everyone feels welcome regardless of age, disability, race, ethnicity, gender, gender identity, religion, culture, sexual orientation, national origin, marital status, pregnancy, maternity or those with other caring responsibilities. Our approach helps to ensure that Aviva is a place which values difference and provides equal opportunities for all.
As a disability confident employer, we guarantee to interview anyone with a disability (as defined in The Equality Act 2010), whose application meets the minimum criteria for the post. (By ‘minimum criteria’ we mean that you must provide us with evidence which demonstrates that you generally meet the level of competence required, as well as meeting any of the qualifications, skills or experience defined as essential). Please apply through the website and then email the contact listed in the advert to notify us that you meet the conditions for the guaranteed interview scheme.