- London, England, United Kingdom
- Internships & Graduate Trainee, Full time
- Société Générale - UK
- 19 Feb 18 2018-02-19
Societe Generale is one of the largest financial services groups in Europe and has been serving the needs of its clients in the UK for more than 100 years through a range of businesses
People join for the impact they can have on us. They stay for the impact we have on them. A flatter structure offers visibility and exposure beyond that of our competitors, so you know our names, and we know yours. It's personable, human, and inspires success through passion. By encouraging open mindedness and a willingness to share ideas, we have adapted to market changes and thrived through innovation. Bringing words like “hard work” and “dedication” together with “community” and “respect” has enabled us to work collaboratively and build our future together. We call this Team Spirit and it's what makes us different. It's what makes you different.
Description of the Business Line or Department
As a result of continuing growth in the Bank's requirements for clients for its derivatives-trading activities, and the increasing use of technology affecting nearly all aspects of working life, there is a requirement to appoint graduate level staff to strengthen the London-based Master Agreements team.
This role will focus on contributing to planning, monitoring and assisting with projects, and taking part in meetings and discussions about ongoing work within the legal department. There will be opportunities to learn about the functional and geographic aspects of an in-house legal department. Exposure to the legal function in the bank, and particularly suited to those interested in business processes.
Accordingly the successful candidate will have a background in pragmatic problem-solving for a wide variety of problems. You will gain exposure to a range of generic issues, and mainly focus on how the team can work more effectively. This includes the application of technology to legal processes. This is not a role for exposure to law in its purest forms; it will be better suited to an adaptable person with a background in both law and systems.
London is an important centre for global English law documentation in support of the Bank's activities in OTC markets. The CIB/MAN team is the “Corporate Investment Bank/Master Agreements Negotiations” team. The successful candidate will report to the Global Head of Systems for Master Agreements who reports to the Global Head of Master Agreements, also based in London.
We are a ‘flow' legal team responsible for creating, amending, litigating and advising on a suite of Master Agreement (MA) documents. The MA are a set of standardised contracts that enable bilateral ‘over the counter' transactions, typically swaps or options.
Our legal work lends itself to process optimisation and many aspects of what we do are closely linked with operational and business issues.
Summary of the key purposes of the role
• Support a range of strategically important short and long-term legal and non-legal projects.
• Assisting with the management of third party suppliers and with service level management.
• Provide project management support for day-to-day tasks including setting milestones.
• Communication of project risks; budget management.
• Business requirement gathering for usability and other functional system improvements and preparation of user interface specifications, storyboards, test plans, data models, and glossaries.
• Perform and coordinate UAT for new releases of LeMANs online tool.
• Training for new users; compilation of video-based ‘how to' systems guides and user manuals.
• Provide Legal research and analysis; assist preparation and presentation of workshops and seminars.
• Support central know-how database projects.
• Maintain standards for data authority purposes.
• Provide support for administrative staff where necessary.
• Attend various internal and external meetings.
• Delegations of responsibilities happen on a case by case basis as projects develop.
• Examples include responsibilities for streams of activity, creation of materials, providing training, communications etc
The ideal candidate will be able to demonstrate:
• Fast and flexible thinking.
• High standards.
• Bold aspirations.
• An eye for detail.
• Creative problem solving.
• An ability to finish tasks on time.
• Some familiarity with, and interest in, derivatives products and markets.
• Track record in working closely with others in a team.
• A strong desire to manage projects: a thirst to take initiative, an ability to find creative ways to take pressure off line managers and deal with obstacles, and an appreciation of deadlines and commitments.
• Strong team-working and collaboration skills.
• Ability to monitor own workload and meet work objectives.
• Self-motivation, ability to self-start.
• Strong interpersonal and analytical skills.
• Good working knowledge of Microsoft Office suite of applications, especially Excel and Lotus Notes.
• Good awareness of confidentiality issues.
• Reliability and punctuality.
• Creative problem solving.
• Constructive contribution.
• Ability to remain focused on detail and accuracy; and be able to structure and organise work with a variety of internal and external teams.
• Project management skills.
If you feel you have the required experience and qualifications, then please apply to the SG Resourcing Team, and we will manage your application. At Societe Generale, we believe our people are our strength and are core to the success of our business. As such, we search for, recruit and appoint the best available person on the basis of aptitude and ability, regardless of sex, marital or civil partnership status, race, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origins, pregnancy, disability, age, sexual orientation, religion, belief or gender reassignment.