Legal Project Manager Investment Banking
- Location: London, England, United Kingdom
- Salary: GBP450 - GBP550 per day
- Job Type: Full time
A Leading Global Investment Bank is seeking a Legal Project Manager on an intial 6 month contract ( likely to be extended). This role is to provide commercially focussed legal project management and operational support to the Legal function. The daily rate will be from £ 450-£550. Key accountables will include: Legal Project Management of existing projects and ongoing cases working with senior legal management and external counsel. Financial Management and Reporting.
The Legal Project Manager role within the Legal Project Management team will be responsible for providing commercially-focused legal project management and operational support to the Legal function. The remit of the team is to introduce greater control and transparency of projected costs and elicit more meaningful MI on a select group of major matters with a significant combined budget. The Legal Project Manager will work with lawyers, business managers and 3rd party vendors to ensure that the following best practices are implemented on all major matters:
- A consolidated plan of all legal project deliverables and timelines is actively maintained so it is always current and available to inform law firm selection decisions and enable ongoing matter reviews and planning.
- A complete and accurate financial plan containing actual and forecast data for both the current financial period and also the lifetime of each matter is in place, actively maintained and can be relied upon by Management for budgeting purposes.
- Purchase orders are actively managed and any resulting invoice issues are quickly identified and resolved.
- Commercial optimisations are established (and regularly reviewed and renegotiated as required) to provide cost saving and visibility of the value being delivered to Barclays.
- Internal lead lawyers, external law firms and other vendors are constructively challenged regularly to establish competitive and efficient commercial arrangements.
The successful applicant will be capable of undertaking this work, managing the requirements of multiple senior stakeholders, effectively engaging with internal and external parties on complex matters and providing globally consistent processes which meet the needs of legal teams. Fundamentals of the role are:
- Matter Initiation: Work with Lead Lawyer to formally agree and document project scope, project plan and deliverables; partner with Legal Project Portfolio Manager, Legal Lead, Pricing Manager, Business Manager and Finance to challenge, agree and document appropriate fee arrangements.
- Matter Commercial Control: Manage the commercial effectiveness and delivery of several parallel major matters; constructively challenging, agreeing, regularly reviewing and renegotiating matter pricing where required; contributing to the standardisation and automation of matter financial reporting; accountable for accuracy and currency of financial data on assigned major matters.
- Matter Quality Management: Ensure assigned projects are managed to agreed methodology and that project documentation and reports meet consistent standards.
Legal Project Management
Overall, ensure that assigned legal major matters are planned and managed effectively, with strong emphasis on commercial performance and achieving the most effective fee arrangements from legal suppliers, while promoting greater internal awareness of financial spend and forecasts alongside the value being received.
- Manage complex legal projects within a clearly defined framework that emphasises strong commercial management alongside quality and timely legal deliverables.
- Ensure the consistent and coordinated delivery of agreed processes and outcomes to high quality standards.
- Act as a central point of information, documentation and control on assigned major matters for all discussions relating to negotiation, budgeting, planning, challenge and ongoing management of matters.
- Check and challenge commercial approach on significant matters at regular intervals throughout the matter lifecycle.
- Provide guidance to lawyers and other project stakeholders on effective project and commercial management practices, liaising with Legal Project Portfolio Manager and other External Engagement Team colleagues to ensure consistency of messaging.
- Implement appropriate controls aligned to Barclays Legal Risk Management requirements.
Financial Analysis & Reporting
- Assist Finance, Lead Lawyers, Legal Business Managers and Legal Project Portfolio Manager in confirming project costs and reporting any variances against agreed budgets.
- Facilitate the production of meaningful financial MI that will provide ongoing transparency over project budgeting and commercial optimisations.
Risk and Control
- Ensure that all activities and duties are carried out in full compliance with regulatory requirements, Enterprise Wide Risk Management Framework and internal Barclays Policies and Policy Standards.
- Work with External Engagement Team to ensure risks are managed effectively, processes for identifying issues and breaches are in place and understood, key deliverables are executed effectively and breaches are escalated as necessary
- Identify and escalate non-legal as well as legal risk issues
Stakeholder Management and Leadership
- Strong communication and influencing skills, with the ability to engage effectively with senior colleagues (MDs/Ds) and act as a trusted advisor that challenges where appropriate in a positive and constructive manner.
- Building strong relationships with law firms and 3rd party vendors, working with Senior Partners, Lawyers and Pricing Directors/Managers.
- Work with Business Managers and Barclays lawyers to manage all Finance forecast requests (MTP/RAF), ensuring timeliness and accuracy of legal matter/project information.
Decision-making and Problem Solving
- Develop strong understanding of External Engagement Team strategic goals and proactively contribute to agreed business objectives
McGregor Boyall is an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate based on race, religion, gender, age, sexuality, gender identification, or physical ability.