Legal Counsel (Corporate / Mergers & Acquisitions Team)
This is an exciting opportunity for a lawyer
to join a dynamic S&P500 company. We have a significant history of executing corporate transactions, having successfully completed and integrated over 100 M&A transactions in the last ten years. Based in London, you will join a top-flight legal team to work in a fast-paced environment on a wide range of corporate transactional matters, including:
- Mergers & Acquisitions : leading teams on acquisitions, mergers, divestitures, equity investments, joint ventures and other sophisticated transactions.
- Corporate : supporting corporate functions including corporate and group financings, subsidiary management and internal restructurings, debt and equity offerings, public disclosure obligations and assisting in advising with SEC filings and other regulatory requirements.
Any candidate is also likely to get involved in commercial agreements from time to time. The position involves regular interaction with the general counsel and other senior company executives and an excellent career development path. Responsibilities will include:
- Functioning independently to support all aspects of sophisticated corporate and M&A transactions, typically including cross-jurisdictional issues, including structuring transactions, drafting and negotiating term sheets and letters of intent, conducting and coordinating due diligence, negotiating transactions, drafting agreements, managing closings and post-acquisition integration, and effectively managing external advisers (including establishing and overseeing outside counsel budgets). Will be called upon to identify issues, develop and evaluate alternatives, provide advice and implement solutions in the context of complex and significant transactions;
- Supporting counsel on a wide range of general corporate matters such as financing and banking transactions, the establishment, maintenance, restructuring and liquidation of business divisions and subsidiaries;
- Collaborating with finance, treasury, tax and other teams on banking and investment matters, intercompany agreements, cross-border business and tax planning, and internal controls;
- Assisting in advising in managing compliance of SEC filings and other regulatory requirements and with debt and equity offerings;
- Providing legal advice and support to senior executives and internal stakeholders, including preparing board and executive committee materials, as required.
Nice to have:
- Strong academic credentials with a J.D. from a leading law school; admission to the NY bar or English qualification (or equivalent).
- 2 to 4 years of experience practicing as an attorney with a national or international law firm and/or in-house legal department.
- Experience advising on multi-jurisdictional strategic M&A, investments, corporate finance and corporate transactions, including acquisitions, divestitures, corporate reorganizations, joint ventures, equity investments and financings.
- Proven ability to manage fast-paced workload and add value to multiple transactions simultaneously in an autonomous way under deadline pressure while focusing on providing outstanding and timely client service.
- This is a front-line role for a confident, proactive, commercially-minded lawyer with high levels of autonomy and an ability to manage complicated projects.
- Excellent drafting skills and attention to detail are required.
- Strong references required.
- Experience drafting and negotiating commercial and other technology and information related contracts is desirable.
- Experience in assisting in the preparation of public company filings, including annual and quarterly reports, proxy statements and offering documents desirable.
- Experience in preparing presentations and management briefs for senior executives and boards desirable.
IHS Markit is committed to providing equal employment opportunity (EEO) to all persons regardless of age, color, national origin, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by the laws and regulations in any of our locations.
We are proud to provide reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities. If you are interested in applying for employment with IHS Markit and need special assistance or an accommodation to use our website or to apply for a position, please contact or call +1 212 849 0399. Determination on requests for reasonable accommodation are considered on a case-by-case basis. This contact information (email and phone) is intended for application assistance and accommodation requests only. We are unable to accept resumes or provide information about application status through the phone number or email address above. Resumes are only accepted through the online application process, and only qualified candidates will receive consideration and follow-up.
IHS Markit maintains a substance-free workplace. In addition, in the United States, we perform pre-employment drug testing and are required as a federal contractor to participate in the E-Verify Program to confirm eligibility to work.
For information please click on the following links:
IHS Markit Business Code of Conduct
Right to Work
EEO is the Law
EEO is the Law Supplement
Pay Transparency Statement
----------------------------------------------- Current Colleagues
If you are currently employed by IHS Markit, please apply internally via the Workday internal careers site.