Legal - SVP - Associate General Counsel, EMEA Debt Capital Markets
Description Overview of Citi:
- Primary Location: United Kingdom,England,London
- Education: None
- Job Function: Legal
- Schedule: Full-time
- Shift: Day Job
- Employee Status: Regular
- Travel Time: No
- Job ID: 19008600
Citi, the world leading global bank, has approximately 200 million customer accounts and a presence in more than 160 countries and jurisdictions worldwide. Citi provides consumers, corporations, governments and institutions with a broad range of financial products and services, including consumer banking and credit, corporate and investment banking, securities brokerage, transaction services, and wealth management. Citi enables clients to achieve their strategic financial objectives by providing them with cutting-edge ideas, best-in-class products and solutions, and unparalleled access to capital and liquidity.
Citi's Capital Markets Origination (CMO) debt group is one of the market-leading businesses in EMEA. Citi acts as arranger, bookrunner, lead manager on debt securities transactions for a wide variety of issuers, including corporates, sovereigns and financial institutions with a particular focus on the emerging markets, hybrid and regulatory capital, Islamic finance, liability management and high yield. Team/Function Overview
Citi's DCM Legal team in EMEA is part of the broader Banking Capital Markets and Advisory Legal group (BCMA Legal). BCMA Legal provides legal support globally for Citi's Investment Banking and Capital Markets business. DCM Legal in EMEA comprises eleven team members and interacts with each DCM business desk, working closely with CMO. Role / Position Overview
The position offers an opportunity to work on a broad range of very high quality and challenging matters as part of the DCM Legal team which is responsible for legal and transaction management support for EMEA Debt CMO. Key Responsibilities:
As part of the execution of a transaction DCM Legal will identify and manage legal risk, address cross-border issues to ensure Citi's legal and regulatory standards are maintained to a high level.
Our lawyers are closely involved in reviewing and negotiating documentation, including subscription agreements, legal opinions and auditors' comfort letters. DCM Legal is often consulted at the pre-mandate stage in order to provide structuring advice and to anticipate potential legal hurdles. They will also interact with and manage outside legal counsel during Eurobond execution.
DCM Legal will also deal with other risks, such as franchise, tax or operational risk.
DCM Legal may also provide legal input on non-transactional matters, including regulatory and other market developments.
As part of Citi's internal control architecture, every lawyer in the group is also an important part of the approval process for all new and/or revised structures or products as well as ensuring compliance with Citi policies and procedures to protect the Citi franchise. Commercial awareness and good judgment are therefore essential skills for the successful candidate. Development Value:
The successful candidate would:
- have exposure to a wide variety of innovative and challenging products and will enjoy working in a dynamic, proactive and collegiate legal team.
- learn to manage legal risk in a large variety of scenarios typical of a top tier international underwriting bank;
- come into contact with internal processes and structures across the bank as well as dealing with other groups within legal;
- learn to escalate material issues to senior team members and then on to senior management within the bank;
- have the opportunity to expand their product knowledge and experience of more challenging jurisdictions as well as types of product such as liability management tools, Sukuk, and high yield;
- be encouraged to attend training courses covering a broad range of activities related to transaction management such as due diligence, financials analysis, negotiation skills as well as having access to broader group wide training available to lawyers in the General Counsel's Office in London. Qualifications
Qualified Solicitor in England and Wales. Knowledge/Experience:
A high level of familiarity with debt capital markets and Islamic finance documentation and market practice for these transactions including specific experience of negotiating and documenting such transactions with issuers in the EMEA region, particularly in developing jurisdictions.
Good knowledge of European prospectus and other regulations.
Knowledge of and interest in European and other cross-border regulatory developments. Skills:
- Excellent technical skills and analytical ability.
- Transaction Management skills.
- Excellent communication skills (both written and oral) and client management skills.
- UK qualified candidates would be desirable with post-training experience in a capital markets department at a major international law firm.
- Candidates that have worked in-house at a securities firm either on secondment or since leaving their law firm would also be desirable.
- Candidates not in the above categories but demonstrating the necessary skills and type of experience for the role may be eligible to be considered. Competencies
- Strong business judgment and commercial attitude.
- Good attention to detail.
- Ability and flexibility to work to strict deadlines without supervision.
- Co-operative, team-oriented style. What we Offer
As well as a competitive salary and consideration for a yearly discretionary bonus Citi offer;
- 23 days paid annual leave
- Award winning pension scheme,
- Life assurance and
- Private medical insurance with Bupa healthcare.
In addition, we offer a competitive maternity, paternity and adoption leave scheme and employees also have the option (provided they have a student loan from the Student Loan Company) to divert saver and company match contributions to their student loan. We pride ourselves on our ability to offer employees a number of lifestyle benefits including; on site restaurant and coffee shops, online shopping and concierge service and subsidised clubs and societies.
Our select benefit package offers you the opportunity to customise your benefits according to your own lifestyle preferences and includes corporate discounts, memberships and a range of additional extras.
Our vast range of diversity networks and on site multi faith room demonstrates Citi's commitment to growing a diverse workforce.
Exceptional candidates who do not meet these criteria may be considered for the role provided they have the necessary skills and experience. Valuing Diversity:
Demonstrates an appreciation of a diverse workforce. Appreciates differences in style or perspective and uses differences to add value to decisions or actions and organisational success. Citi is an Equal Opportunities Employer