Java Developer, Vice President
Description About this role
What team will you be on:
London Exchange Traded Funds (ETF) Systems Development team, which is part of the wider global ETF technology team responsible for building the software systems used by our clients to buy and sell ETFs.
We are a Java based team working to re-architect these critical systems into a set of loosely coupled microservice based components crafted to support the future growth of this high-profile business area.
We are closely aligned with our Portfolio Managers and the Global Markets team to ensure we are delivering maximum value for the firm as we deliver on this multi-year transformation.
We are proud of our track record of delivery while focusing heavily on software quality, scalability and automation!
Why is your role meaningful?
ETF's are a huge growth area and BlackRock is heavily invested in the ETF business.
It is a central pillar of our goal to allow more people to experience financial wellbeing.
This role is directly connected to that vision and presents a significant opportunity to have a real impact on the way we build and deliver software.
You will join a small number of technically strong key individuals implementing our vision for future-ready, highly available systems. As a large technology organization there are excellent opportunities for the right individual to make a lasting impression on the team and the potential for wider impact and career progression beyond that!
What will you be doing:
- Working closely with the business delivering key features directly into our existing systems and platforms.
- Coordinating with the team lead to componentize our existing system into a micro-service-based architecture.
- Actively participate in the team's agile delivery process, completing sprint tasks and writing high quality code, unit tests and automated integration tests to move features to production.
- Provide high quality technical feedback to team discussions on system design, seeing those efforts all the way through to final delivery.
- Mentor more junior colleagues, providing code style and architectural input through pair programming, reviewing pull requests and team meetings.
What are we looking for?
- Significant experience developing internet-scale microservice based applications using Java 8+, Spring and at least one of SQL DBs, Cassandra or Kafka.
- Experience designing and building using API-First principles using at least one of REST/gPRC.
- A real-world practitioner of OO development coupled with an understanding of applying standard Design Patterns to your software design.
- Strong analytical problem-solving skills with an ability to pick up new concepts quickly.
- Proven experience using modern software engineering tools such as git, maven, unit testing and integration testing tools, mocking frameworks.
- A willingness and ability to mentor less experienced members of the team.
- Friendly, positive and can-do attitude.
To help you stay energized, engaged and inspired, we offer a wide range of benefits including a strong retirement plan, tuition reimbursement, comprehensive healthcare, support for working parents and Flexible Time Off (FTO) so you can relax, recharge and be there for the people you care about. About BlackRock
BlackRock's purpose is to help more and more people experience financial well-being. As a fiduciary to investors and a leading provider of financial technology, we help millions of people build savings that serve them throughout their lives by making investing easier and more affordable.
For additional information on BlackRock, please visit www.blackrock.com/corporate | Twitter: @blackrock | LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/company/blackrock
BlackRock is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status, and other statuses protected by law.
BlackRock will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest or conviction records in a manner consistent with the requirements of the law, including any applicable fair chance law.