Investment Risk Analyst
At M&G our vision is: to become the best loved and most successful savings and investment business
and we're looking for people who are excited about joining us on our journey. We're digitally transforming and investing heavily in technology and innovation to develop new and improved customer propositions that really raise the bar for our customers. To help us achieve our vision we're looking for exceptional people who live our values and behaviours and who can inspire others; embrace change; deliver results and keep it simple.
We know that an inclusive environment makes us more accessible and ensures we attract, engage, promote and retain exceptional people. We welcome applications from all individuals regardless of age, gender/gender identity, sexual orientation, ethnicity/nationality, disability, or military service and welcome those who have taken career breaks. We will consider flexible working arrangements or home working arrangements for any of our roles. What you can expect from us:
We are committed to creating an environment where you can be exceptional at all you do. To help us deliver this, we promise to:
How do we support our employees:
- Challenge Your Limits by creating a stimulating working environment and providing opportunities for you to be involved in meaningful and challenging work
- Support Your Aspirations with a commitment to learning and development that helps you achieve and build your experience with people who want you to succeed
- Value Your Input whereby leaders and managers will involve you in key decisions, listen to your thoughts and recognise the important contribution you make
- Balance Your Life through a work life partnership that focuses on making this an inclusive, diverse and friendly place to work and offers the flexibility and support that enables everyone to be at their best
All M&G plc employees will be supported in the workplace through our M&G Employee Assistance Programme (EAP). If you need counselling, confidential financial or legal advice. The service is available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year and offers access to qualified professionals who can provide specialist information, advice and support on many issues. It offers a broad range of services, including help with family issues, maintaining work/life balance and mental health support. The Role:
Work Level Accountabilities:
- The Fixed Income Investment Risk Team is seeking a risk analyst to aid with analysing, portfolios using statistical techniques to highlight potential future sources of risk and return. The role-holder will gain an understanding of risk taken in portfolios across a number of public and private fixed income asset classes and develop coding and quantitative skills. Investment risk analysts are responsible for modelling potential risk and return scenarios for portfolios. To do this, they build an understanding of the investment approach taken, use statistical models to provide plausible forecasts, and design forward looking analysis to identify and escalate areas of concentration and exposure.
- The team has an independent reporting line (ultimately to the Chief Risk Officer), but also operates in partnership with the front office to identify, highlight and challenge on risk issues.
- Accountable for providing a quality service or product to customers and stakeholders, using skills/experience built through significant practical experience or training
- For team leaders, accountable for ensuring the team the role supports is delivering a quality service or product
- Works within established frameworks and procedures, with the freedom to interpret them to solve a range of problems
- Delivers outputs that are clearly defined, using discretion over how to achieve them
- Makes suggestions for improvements to the work of the team, based on previous experience and knowledge of similar situations
Skills, Knowledge & Experience:
- Designing and building insightful analysis on portfolios for discussion with managers or for highlighting at committees.
- Building tools to automate existing processes
- Analysing model portfolios at pre-launch stage for market and liquidity risk analysis
- Aiding in the risk oversight process in risk meetings and at committee stage.
- Previous experience with fixed income portfolios.
- Eagerness to learn, or existing experience with Python, R, SQL, Power BI.
- Eagerness to learn, or existing experience with financial mathematics and statistical techniques
- Creativity in turning data into thought-provoking, visually-arresting, information
- Problem-solving mindset
- High standards of personal organization and willingness to engage in complex tasks.
- Have completed, or have made partial progress through the CFA exams
Recruiter: Tom Hunt
Job Level: Experienced Colleague
Closing Date: 14/05/2021
We live by four behaviours at M&G and we ask all our employees to:
- Inspire Others - Support and encourage each other, creating an environment where everyone can contribute and succeed
- Embrace Change - Be open to change, willing to be challenged and able to adapt quickly and imaginatively to new ideas
- Deliver Results - Focus on outcomes, set high standards and deliver with energy and determination
- Keep it Simple - Cut through complexity and bureaucracy, be clear and decisive and never overcomplicate things