We’re currently recruiting for an Investment Manager to join our Instructions & Governance Team in Phoenix Asset Management.
The role is part of a dedicated team responsible for coordinating, structuring and instructing investment transactions thus actively contributing to the delivery of Phoenix Group’s investment strategy and strategic growth objectives.
Your responsibility is to steer trading in shareholder and policyholder investment portfolios consistent with applicable targets and constraints targets, to manage governance and to maintain an efficient and effective risk control framework for all trading activity.
In this role you will interact closely with a broad range of stakeholders, including colleagues in the Portfolio Management and ALM teams in the Phoenix Asset Management function, External Investment Managers as well as Phoenix Actuarial, Finance, Treasury, Risk and Legal teams.
· Trade Structuring/Planning – work alongside structuring and portfolio management teams to develop trade proposals and implementation plans considering operational requirements/limitations and the overall portfolio context.
· Trade Coordination – prepare trade execution runbooks with clear timelines, roles and responsibilities for involved stakeholders and in coordination with other activities.
· Pre-Trade Compliance Checks – check that trade proposals follow applicable governance and policies and complete checklists evidencing such compliance.
· Trade Approvals/Instructions – maintain documentation and audit trails of trade structuring and execution.
· Post Trade Checks – together with Asset Management Middle Office validate trades are correctly executed and captured in data and systems.
· Portfolio Steering Processes – maintain and manage databases and monitoring reports for Strategic Asset Allocation and Investment Benchmark processes.
· Mandates and Investment Guidelines – maintain investment mandate and policy documents and communicate/review any changes with internal and external stakeholders.
· Compliance Monitoring – provide guidance to AM Middle Office in codifying investment guidelines and mandate parameters in compliance monitoring systems. Coordinate any resolution of breaches by involving the appropriate AM stakeholders.
· Matching Adjustment (MA) Eligibility Screening – perform screening of assets for compliance with requirements set out in MA applications.
· Positions Reporting – provide ad-hoc analysis of asset positions held.
· Collateral Management – provide ad-hoc support for collateral management.
What We’re Looking For
The ideal candidate has some experience in insurance investment management, for example having worked in an investment function at an insurance company or at an asset manager. Experience in a Middle Office or Back-Office function at an asset manager or bank is of advantage.
What We Offer
Bring your ‘whole self’, skills and dedication to the Phoenix Group and we’ll recognise your effort, support your development and help to drive your ambition. We’ll ensure you’re rewarded for your contribution with a competitive package that includes an attractive pension, annual bonus potential, private medical insurance, generous holiday entitlement, enhanced maternity and adoption leave and a range of other financial services and lifestyle flexible benefits.
Join us and you join a unique organisation. It’s not just the 14 million policyholders we serve, or the £300 billion of assets we look after. Or that we’re a FTSE 100 company that has been listed as one of the UK's Top Employers for nine years running. It’s our talented, inclusive and diverse workforce that makes us a success. We offer flexible working opportunities ensuring we attract and retain the very best of talent. Find out about more about our people’s stories, our values and our commitment to diversity
· attention to detail and high standards for quality
· ability to structure and analyse data from a range of sources (including investment databases, Bloomberg etc) and present in results in a clear and effective manner
· ability to appropriately contextualise proposals/issues and to formulate adequate responses considering broader or other business objectives/initiatives
· ability to communicate issues in a clear and concise fashion adapting style of communication to the targeted audience
· ability to prepare and present high quality, succinct presentations/papers for senior management and decision-making bodies
· willingness/ability to identify and address areas which require improvement and to proactively shape the organisation and the way we work
Impact & Influence
· ability to develop effective relationships and collaborate across a wide range of stakeholders
· comfortable working in and contributing to interdisciplinary teams
Market and Industry Knowledge
· good understanding of the main features and differences in the main asset classes / investment products Phoenix is currently invested in and investment products (cash, UK government bonds, corporate bonds, private debt, equity release mortgages)
· familiarity with standard derivative products and hedging practices
· good understanding of the main steps in the end to end process from trade structuring to execution and the internal and external stakeholders in the process
· familiarity with investment governance processes and awareness of applicable laws, regulations