- Flexible and competitive terms of employment
- London, England, United Kingdom
- Permanent, Full time
- Carpenter Farraday
- 08 Nov 17 2017-11-08
Guy's and St Thomas' Charity are looking to recruit an Investment Director to join our Endowment Team. This is an exciting opportunity for an individual with the necessary insight and expertise to assist in driving investment returns for one of the UK’s largest charitable endowments with £800m of assets. The role will also involve establishing and leading the Charity’s health impact investing activities within the Endowment.
• The Investment Director is new post to strengthen the management of our Endowment.
• The Investment Director will play a key role in managing our financial assets and in driving our relationship with Partners Capital.
• The Investment Director will bring insight and innovative thinking to how we manage our investments. You will take an active role in setting our strategic and tactical asset allocation, setting asset class strategies and choosing managers.
• The Investment Director will network widely and travel internationally to ensure our thinking on investment and endowment matters is up to date.
• 5% of the Endowment will be invested in funds that can deliver both health impact and financial returns commensurate with risk. The Investment Director will lead the implementation of this part of the portfolio. This will involve establishing decision-making processes and then leading the identification and approval of relevant impact funds.
• The Investment Director will assist the Director of Finance and Investment in supporting the quarterly Investment Committee. You will write papers for the Committee and play an influential role in discussions at Committee meetings.
• Lead the design and implementation of investing for health impact through institutional funds within the Endowment
• Identifying potential funds
o Assessing them against financial and impact criteria
o Making investment recommendations
o Ensuring due diligence is conducted
• Assist the Director of Finance and Investment to manage the relationship with Partners Capital
• Input into strategic and tactical asset allocation
o Input into and monitoring of asset class investment strategies
o Input into manager selection/deselection and monitoring of managers
o Regular meetings with Partners Capital
• Regular meetings with managers, including internationally
• Monitor the performance of the financial assets within the Endowment against expectations and risk levels
• Preparation of papers for the quarterly Investment Committee. Attendance at the Committee and input into discussions
• Building an active network to ensure we have access to the latest investment and endowment management thinking. Attendance at conferences and events
• Develop close working relationships across the Charity, including with the property, strategy, communications, and finance and operations teams
• Act as an Ambassador for the Charity and for new ideas in endowment management
Knowledge and qualifications
• Graduate - Bachelor’s degree or equivalent
• CFA charter holder or equivalent
• Experience (essential)
• Experienced investment portfolio manager
• In depth knowledge of asset allocation and manager selection theory and practice
• Experience of major asset classes
• Capability and willingness to undertake analysis using Excel and other tools
• Experience of managing charitable endowments
• Experience in impact investing or venture philanthropy
Skills, abilities and attributes
• Ambitious and determined individual – setting high standards and achieving these
• Focused on outcomes – with the persistence to achieve these
• Intellectually capable – ability to interrogate ideas and concepts and adapt them to our circumstances
• Clear strategic thinker – able to manage a complex range of objectives and risks
• Considered judgement – open to external thinking, willingness to balance arguments and deliver high conviction recommendations
• Innovative thinker – not afraid to propose new ways of approaching familiar issues
• Powerful influencer – persuasive in situations without direct levers to pull
• Effective stakeholder management skills – with the ability to obtain and maintain the trust of a range of both internal and external stakeholders
• Good communication and presentational skills – with the ability to communicate convincingly to a wide range of audiences
• Enterprising – looks at things from different angles and is open to new ideas and perspectives
• Collaborative – contributes to collective effort and gives time and attention to people and ideas
• Delivery minded – is accountable for results and willing to get stuck in and work at pace
If you would like to be considered for this opportunity and would like further information, please contact Carpenter Farraday who have been retained by Guy’s and St Thomas’ as their recruitment partner on this position.
Closing date for applications: 16th November 2017 at 23:59.