Innovation Lead - Vice President
- London, England, United Kingdom
- Permanent, Full time
- Morgan Stanley
- 11 Dec 17 2017-12-11
See job description for details
Morgan Stanley is establishing a new Technology Innovation Program to promote and foster a collaborative innovation leveraging exponential technologies that will drive value to our clients, attract world class talent, and promote our competitive differentiation.
We are seeking an Innovation Lead to join the new innovation team and support the build out of this strategic program. A successful candidate will work in partnership with both business and technology senior leadership to ensure the effective delivery of a number of programs.
Reporting into the Head of the Innovation Program, the Innovation Lead will drive collaborative efforts to design, build and launch technology-wide services and capabilities to accelerate innovation at the Firm. The Innovation Lead is responsible for developing Innovation Collaboration Groups aligned to our ten innovation themes (e.g., Artificial Intelligence & Machine Learning, Data & Analytics, Automation, Blockchain and FinTech, Cloud and Agile Infrastructures, 100x Compute, etc.)
The successful candidate will partner with key stakeholders to identify business opportunities, source and match ideas to these opportunities and support the prioritization and investment in Proofs of Concepts. In addition, this role will collaborate with our Innovation Labs and TechBD teams to leverage internal and external technologies in support of these concepts.
The position requires effective communication skills and is best suited to those who excel working in fast paced cross-functional technical teams across different areas of the organization.
Responsibilities will include three key areas:
• Driving experimentation and investment in innovative solutions to real business opportunities leveraging emerging technologies
- Partner with senior business and technology leadership to plan and host regular Innovation Collaboration Group sessions (b theme) engaging as broad an audience as possible across the Firm
- Manage the investment and execution governance for the Innovation Fund, including sourcing of business opportunities and concepts
- Coordinate across the newly established Innovation Collaboration Groups designed to explore MS Innovation themes to organize communication forums, R&D, special events and business interactions into a coherent program
• Developing and launching enabling capabilities and removing barriers to innovation
- Identify barriers to our funded innovation projects and partner internally to address by creating sustainable solutions that can be leveraged across the Firm
- Support the selection, implementation and adoption of Innovation Platforms and Tools, such as an Innovation Portal, Ideation Platform and PoC Collaboration Platform.
- Provide advisory support/thought leadership on innovation programs including tools and practices, strategy development and execution models to establish repeatable approaches to leveraging new technologies/models
• Fostering a collaborative environment and establishing connectivity across the Firm
- Champion the mission of the Innovation Program across the Firm to drive active engagement by our global technology teams and select business leadership
- Serve as an internal knowledge bank for innovation projects across the Firm (including those not funded by the Program) to support internal connectivity, reduce duplication, increase awareness and optimize value realization by emerging solutions
- Curate and share insights from across the organization as well as identify and introduce external thought leadership. Identify partnership opportunities to share best practice and influence strategic direction on key innovation theme areas
• Substantial relevant experience working in global teams, development/architecture background preferred
• A bachelor degree in a relevant field from a leading university, MBA desirable
• Demonstrable understanding of key technology trends and environmental factors driving accelerating change within the industry
• Ability and willingness to learn new technologies and concepts on driving innovation within large organizations
• Working knowledge of innovation frameworks, theories and best practices (e.g., User Centric Design, Innovation Ambition Matrix, 10 Types of Innovation, Scalable Learning and Organizations, internal crowdsourcing best practices, etc.)
• Exposure to designing/implementing business critical systems or running large change programs in Financial Services
• Understanding and experience with the SDLC and agile development practices
• Demonstrable track record of effective communications skills to engage and influence senior leadership and peers
• Must be able to work in both a high collaborative environment as well as independently without direct supervision with various levels of experience
• Strong hands on technical skills, deep knowledge of systems architecture and the latest tools and technologies in Big Data, Applied Machine Intelligence, Automation or Agile Infrastructure are preferred
• Deep understanding of Morgan Stanley’s current architecture or businesses is a significant advantage
• Connectivity to fintech and emerging tech companies relevant to Financial Services.
Morgan Stanley is a leading global financial services firm providing a wide range of investment banking, securities, investment management and wealth management services. The Firm's employees serve clients worldwide including corporations, governments and individuals from more than 1,200 offices in 43 countries.
As a market leader, the talent and passion of our people is critical to our success. Together, we share a common set of values rooted in integrity, excellence and strong team ethic. Morgan Stanley can provide a superior foundation for building a professional career - a place for people to learn, to achieve and grow. A philosophy that balances personal lifestyles, perspectives and needs is an important part of our culture.
Morgan Stanley is an equal opportunities employer. We work to provide a supportive and inclusive environment where all individuals can maximise their full potential. Our skilled and creative workforce is comprised of individuals drawn from a broad cross section of the global communities in which we operate and who reflect a variety of backgrounds, talents, perspectives and experiences. Our strong commitment to a culture of inclusion is evident through our constant focus on recruiting, developing and advancing individuals based on their skills and talents.