IT Technical Leads (Digital / Products)
- London, England, United Kingdom
- Permanent, Full time
- 16 Oct 18
The world faces energy challenges that are becoming more complex each day. We’re looking for people who share our passion for taking on those challenges with cutting edge technology, innovative thinking and a commitment to properly managed risk. Shell develops and operates some of the largest and most complex projects in the world and we always endeavour to work at the leading edge of technical innovation.
These influential roles are ideal for IT Technical Leads with Agile & Product experience. You’ll join a fast-changing, transformational team whose technical solutions have the power to shape the future of the oil and gas industry.
What’s the role?
We have opportunities for Technical Leads in the following areas:
- Real-Time Data Management
- Software Engineering
- Quality Assurance
You can look forward to joining our global PTIT team at a time of significant change. PTIT delivers IT to Shell’s Projects & Technology organisation. We’re critical to Shell’s success, whether by creating affordable and world-class capital projects, providing deep technical support to operational assets, enabling new technologies (e.g. new energy forms/storage solutions) or digitalising assets.
You’ll enjoy responsibility for designing digital solutions that drive business value. We’ll trust you to translate business requirements into high-level IT data and detailed solution design requirements, working collaboratively with a diverse range of IT colleagues and senior stakeholders across the business.
Spanning global assets, developments typically include software development, configuration of SaaS solutions, creating an operational/supported IT Operations environment. It’s a chance to work on increasingly digital elements (e.g. advanced analytics; blockchain) founded on a firm grasp of the technical processes and assets in the oil and gas industry.
Briefly, these are the different roles you can apply for:
- Technical Lead: Digitalisation – you’ll be designing solutions to support the Digitalisation drive in Shell, working with tools/solutions in mobility, advanced analytics, sophisticated data integration and security solutions.
- Technical Lead: Real-Time Data – you’ll join a ten-strong global team of engineers, delivering operational PI service plus consultancy on how OsiSoft PI can address business requirements. Your role: preparing and executing deployments of PI solutions to assets in Upstream and Downstream manufacturing.
- Technical Lead: Quality Assurance – taking a pragmatic approach, you’ll champion, implement, test and measure Software Engineering (SE) Functional Excellence (FE) practices, working as part of a leading development team.
- Technical Lead: Software Engineering – you’ll provide software technology delivery and support to design, develop, configure, test and steer global deployment of applications for technical engineering. You’ll manage the delivery through 3rd parties and translate complex technical issues into compelling business opportunities to influence decision-makers.
We’re open-minded about your background. We’re keen to hear from graduate calibre men and women who’ve proven they can deliver software development and deployment projects in the engineering world. That could be through assignments in industrial, global companies, or perhaps working as a project manager in a (software) product delivery company.
The right attitude is vital. We value people with the enthusiasm to embrace new challenges and the flexibility and accountability to work effectively in an Agile environment – if you have Agile experience, great. This is a diverse, complex organisation, so you’ll need to be a good communicator and presenter – you’re happy influencing even the most senior of stakeholders.
All roles require an understanding of engineering and capital projects management, and a passion for the technology that differentiates Shell.
Beyond that, there are some specific skills you’ll need for each:
Technical Lead: Digitalisation – specific requirements:
- Front-end development on mobile platforms; backend developments (on Data Bricks, Alteryx and other emerging Analytical platforms)
- Skills in one of the following: Alteryx/Data Integration, MATLAB, Visualization Power BI/Spotfire, Programming Language Python/R, Analytic Cloud Integration Azure Stack, Azure Data factory, Azure Data lakes, Azure SQL Data warehouse. MAANA Search Engine, Cognitive/Natural Language Processing Tools – Watson, Mobility, Web
- Leadership skills and a good knowledge of business analysis – you understand how business processes, workflows and information systems intertwine
Technical Lead: Real-Time Data – specific requirements:
- Extensive experience in working with OSIsoft PI
- Good knowledge of Data Acquisition and Control systems
- Experience of deploying real time solutions, in an Enterprise environment
- Structured approach to delivery, in order to develop a deployment approach and plan
Technical Lead: Quality Assurance – specific requirements:
- Versatile in software development and testing methods.
- Good corporate IT experience
- Proven software engineering experience, with emphasis on technical software
Technical Lead: Software Engineering – specific requirements:
- Experience in technical software development projects from concept through requirements setting and design
- Proven record of delivering IT services to customers
- Good communication skills – able to build relationships spanning the business and IT
- Some knowledge of discipline engineering processes in a manufacturing context
Shell is a company with shared values. Honesty, integrity, and respect aren't simply a strapline: they are a part of everything we do. What's more, Shell is an equal opportunities company, and we place the highest possible value on the diversity of our people and our inclusive approach.
Join us and you’ll belong to a world where you can feel pride in your achievements and propel your career with global opportunities
We care deeply about fostering a truly diverse workplace. We believe in doing everything we can to make Shell as flexible, appealing and supportive a place for women to work as possible. And we've retained our title as a top employer for women in the Times again in 2016.
We help with things like our formal (and informal) flexible working. Like our global and transparent pay policies backed by leadership team fully supportive of our diversity ambitions. And we'll help foster your career through our Women's Career Development programme and our extensive Women's Network.
People with an impairment
At Shell, we're all about top talent. End of story. We want to encourage those of you who may face an impairment to regard Shell as a place where you'll be fully supported to grow and develop your career. It's as simple as that.
If you'd like to apply, just let us know about your circumstances. We can support you throughout the process. From application, to interview, to your first day of a rewarding career with us.