ISG Margin Client Operations - Associate
- London, England, United Kingdom
- Permanent, Full time
- Morgan Stanley
- 24 Apr 19
See job description for details
Morgan Stanley is a leading global financial services firm providing a wide range of investment banking, securities, investment management and wealth management services. The Firm's employees serve clients worldwide including corporations, governments and individuals from more than 1,200 offices in 43 countries.
As a market leader, the talent and passion of our people is critical to our success. Together, we share a common set of values rooted in integrity, excellence and strong team ethic. Morgan Stanley can provide a superior foundation for building a professional career - a place for people to learn, to achieve and grow. A philosophy that balances personal lifestyles, perspectives and needs is an important part of our culture.
One of the largest divisions in the Firm, Operations is the first line of defence for Morgan Stanley's financial and reputational well-being and essential in delivering value. Operations is responsible for correctly settling and recording millions of transactions per day, identifying and mitigating operational risk, developing strong client relationships and partnering with technology to realize the full potential of IT and Automation. Operations has a premier team of creative and dedicated professionals, with a unique vantage point interacting with all parts of the business. The Operations Senior Management team is passionate about our people development and providing top-notch employee opportunities through an inclusive, forward-looking environment defined by open communication, collaboration, learning and dedicated career management.
Institutional Securities Group Product Operations
Institutional Securities Group Product Operations (ISGPO) partners closely with Sales & Trading and our Clients to process daily activities, develop and implement new products and services, as well as drive efficiency and reduce risk in our processes.
Client Operations supports commercial Derivatives Clearing, Prime Brokerage, ISG Margin, Institutional Securities, Client Onboarding and relationships with the Firm's biggest clients. We also provide clearing services to Morgan Stanley House trading teams across ISG. We act as a valued strategic partner to our clients, enabling them to access new products, markets and services to meet the financial goals of their underlying investors. In partnership with our clients we also take a leadership role in the evolution of our business through our presence in new markets and on industry bodies. We work closely with our Sales and Trading stakeholders and Technology and Data partners on planning and building capacity to enable us to deliver creative, bespoke client solutions and to meet the higher client expectations than are standard in non-fee paying client business. The service level the Operations team delivers differentiates us from our competitors and is central to winning and retaining business.
The ISG Margin team is responsible for exposure monitoring of complex client trading strategies for the International Prime Brokerage (IPB) and International Wealth Management (IWM) businesses at Morgan Stanley. In order to facilitate this and proactively report on risks inherent to the business, close co-operation is required with Risk Management, Account Managers, Sales and Technology.
ISG Margin supports the Institutional Equity Division's (IED) Risk Management function, handling the critical responsibility of daily monitoring of Market and Counterparty Risk issues. The team provide risk support analysis on a wide range of hedge funds & high net-worth individuals. These clients trade a variety of strategies covering the full range of Equities, Fixed Income, Credit, FX, Commodity, OTC and Listed Derivatives products. A technical appetite is therefore critical in this role.
There is currently a position available for an Associate within the ISG Margin team. This role is based in London.
Role Description & Responsibilities
- A line Professional Operations Specialist executes Operations processes and/or supports process management and project efforts. This individual may be part of a team of specialists operating within a region and for a particular product.
- Demonstrates a detailed knowledge of the processes, projects, systems, markets and instruments that influence their team.
- Analyzes and exposes ambiguous or complex issues, identifies root causes and proposes future actions.
- Ensures Compliance Courses and Policies are completed on a timely basis.
- May be required to build and manage relationships on a day to day level with Business Unit partners, other Morgan Stanley infrastructure departments, and external contact points in Client organizations.
Functions the team performs include:
- Ensuring client positions and valuations are accurate, correct requirements are being charged in accordance with the clients' strategy and margin policy, issuing margin calls and ensuring they are covered same-day. -
- Understanding the day-to-day client portfolio movements and products traded, thinking about what your clients are trading, actively challenging things that do not make sense
- Performing extensive exposure analysis across the client base to flag risk across different Issuers, Countries, Markets and Sectors
- Managing operational risk. We are relied upon to manage and highlight operational risk in the margin process. We are the last line of defence in a market or client crisis. You will perform a central role in this defence by challenging the status quo and maximizing the value that the team can add to our franchise.
- Working extensively with Clients, Risk Management, Account Managers and & Technology to build & maintain a controlled & commercial business that leverages the strengths of all our people.
- Driving forward the significant change agenda in collaboration with peers in the New York, Baltimore, London and Hong Kong Margin teams.
Skills that You Bring
- You are able to handle multiple work streams and prioritize effectively.
- You actively look for new opportunities for self development and career progression.
- You show dedication to learn from experience and mistakes; actively seek out feedback and adjust behavior accordingly.
- You are aware of the long term impact of regulatory environment and market changes on the business. You make plans where appropriate to adapt control processes and procedures.
- You can identify the right levels of control and measures required, building a strong yet flexible workflow.
- You actively ensure existence of mitigating controls and take personal responsibility for enhancing processes.
- You combine clear and appropriate escalation with suggestions on appropriate risk reduction strategies.
- You consistently exceed expectations and respond actively and positively to changing circumstances.
- All degree (or equivalent course) disciplines considered. You have strong numerical and analytical skills and have developed the necessary competencies in a similar role over a minimum 3-5 year period within this industry.
- Exposure to Prime Brokerage, Wealth Management, hedge funds industry, derivatives products or Margin & Collateral an advantage
- Demonstration in your past work experience of robust analytical skills, high attention to detail, diligence, risk management capabilities and a control mind-set
- Strong product knowledge across equities and derivatives is an advantage
Morgan Stanley is an equal opportunities employer. We work to provide a supportive and inclusive environment where all individuals can maximize their full potential. Our skilled and creative workforce is comprised of individuals drawn from a broad cross section of the global communities in which we operate and who reflect a variety of backgrounds, talents, perspectives and experiences. Our strong dedication to a culture of inclusion is evident through our constant focus on recruiting, developing and advancing individuals based on their skills and talents.
Interested in flexible working opportunities? Morgan Stanley empowers employees to have greater freedom of choice through flexible working arrangements. Speak to our recruitment team to find out more. #LI-EC1