Girls Not Brides is seeking a Head of Finance, based in London, to lead the financial direction of the charity and oversee all aspects of its financial management.
As a member of the Girls Not Brides senior management team, the Head of Finance, jointly with the Head of Operations, embeds a culture of strong financial management, effective controls and efficient processes within the organisation. You will be expected to provide critical financial information, analysis and insights, and advice and support on financial and strategic management issues, and emerging opportunities and risks, to the CEO, senior management team and the Board of Trustees. The successful candidate will have significant senior level experience of managing the financial activities of a not-for-profit organisation and will be empowered to set up and embed the right financial systems, processes and controls for a fast-growing and ambitious international organisation that is poised for further expansion.
Girls Not Brides is the only global partnership entirely focused on creating and sustaining a worldwide movement to end child marriage, and ensuring that this movement leads to tangible change for the girls at risk or affected by the practice. We are a network of more than 1,200 civil society organisations in over 100 countries, all committed to working in partnership to end child marriage. Our vision is a world without child marriage where girls and women enjoy equal status with boys and men, and are able to achieve their full potential in all aspects of their lives.
Our members are diverse. They vary in size, location, and the type of work they do. They include groups focused on research and advocacy as well as programme implementers and service providers working directly in their communities. Our members address the issue of child marriage from various perspectives, including health, women’s and girls’ rights, child protection, education, economic empowerment and general development.
The global partnership is supported by the Girls Not Brides secretariat with teams in UK (London), Mexico, Kenya and India and has an annual budget of approximately £5 million. The secretariat coordinates and supports the activities of the Global Partnership in line with our 2017-2020 strategy, which was developed in consultation with 500 members and partners.
The Secretariat plays three broad roles in relation to our membership:
- A central support and coordination body for the only global civil society partnership to end child marriage.
- A representative of and advocate for civil society on efforts to end child marriage.
- An expert resource on child marriage, and central actor in the global movement to end child marriage.
The Girls Not Brides finance function works alongside the Operations Team in ensuring that opportunities and risks are identified and managed effectively. The finance function’s responsibilities include strategic planning, budgeting and forecasting, financial analyses, maintaining financial records, embedding financial risk monitoring, mitigation and management in operational processes, ensuring compliance with reporting requirements managing donor and supplier relationships, statutory accounting, and day-to-day financial matters. This function plays a vital role in maintaining the Girls Not Brides image and brand when reporting to donors and compliance bodies.
Reporting to the CEO, the role will:
- Lead on strategic financial planning and financial management at Girls Not Brides.
- Ensure financial planning and objectives feed into the secretariat’s objective setting and serve well the overarching goals and objectives of the organisation.
- Develop and maintain effective financial functions including budgeting, management accounts, preparation of annual statutory accounts, and preparation of financial reports to Girls Not Brides funders and to the Board of Trustees.
- Ensure the smooth running of all accounting, financial transactions and evidence record keeping, managing payroll, managing foreign currency exchange policy and investments.
- Monitor financial performance, oversee reporting and cash flow management functions and systems.
- Contribute, as a member of the organisation’s management team, to providing critical financial information, analysis, advice and support on financial issues and emerging opportunities to the CEO, management team and the Board of Trustees.
- Collaborate with the Head of Operations to jointly develop core processes across the organisation.
- Oversee legal aspects of Girls Not Brides’ financial and fundraising work, including trademark registrations and ensure ongoing compliance with UK finance regulation, grant agreements, liaise with the Charity Commission, Companies House and HMRC.
- Lead on financial risk management including the implementation of appropriate risk management strategies such as financial controls, fraud prevention and systems to ensure value for money through regular reviews of the secretariat’s financial operating policies and guidelines and providing oversight and support in implementation of these systems.
- Establish and maintain positive relationships with the organisation’s donors, auditors, advisors, payroll provider, bank manager, office landlord and other relevant partners.
- Manage the production of the annual report and financial statements, ensuring compliance with relevant legislation, SORP and accounting standards.
- Manage the external audit process and implementation of the audit findings.
- Lead on procurement systems and implementation looking for efficiencies and value for money.
- Set goals and objectives and manage the performance and development of the finance team.
- Play a key role in developing the financial skills of heads of teams to ensure that they have ownership of their budgets and forecasts.
All staff members are expected to:
- Commit to the mission and vision of Girls Not Brides, putting these at the forefront of all planning, work and actions.
- Uphold the core values of Girls Not Brides in all areas of work and interactions with colleagues, members, partners and other stakeholders.
- Comply with Girls Not Brides policies and processes, with particular note for safeguarding, the code of conduct and data protection.
- Ensure that internal databases and monitoring information are kept fully up-to-date.
- Commit to ongoing personal development and learning.
- Fulfil any other reasonable requests for the advancement of the Girls Not Brides.
- ACCA/CCAB/CIMA/MBA with significant professional experience in a similar senior-level finance role in the not-for-profit sector.
- Advanced understanding of the principles underpinning financial management and planning and of demonstrating impact and value for money.
- Ability to inspire and create a robust financial management culture.
- Experience of scoping and implementing new financial procedures, processes, systems and controls in line with best practise.
- Up-to-date knowledge of relevant UK government charity legislation and statutory requirements.
- Significant experience of working on and contributing to strategic issues as part of a management team and with Board members.
- Ability to build and maintain strong relationships and communicate effectively, both internally and externally.
- Skilled people manager who can effectively line-manage, support and develop staff.
- Ability to give clear financial advice and training to non-finance staff.
- An innovative and initiative-taking approach, with the vision and practical skills to assess, develop, improve and systems and processes.
- Ability to deal with competing demands, multiple priorities, time constraints and unanticipated external events.
- Excellent written and spoken English and a keen eye for detail and accuracy.
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality.
- Demonstrate commitment to the vision of Girls Not Brides in relation to addressing child marriage and the empowerment of girls and women.
At Girls Not Brides, we are committed to the wellbeing, empowerment and rights of children, and to safeguarding children from harm in all of our activities. Girls Not Brides aims to promote an environment of trust and understanding where the welfare of children is paramount. You will adhere to the Girls Not Brides Child Safeguarding Policy and its Code of Conduct and report any concerns relating to the safeguarding of children in accordance with agreed procedures.
To apply, please send your CV and a brief cover letter demonstrating how you meet the criteria for this position by 23:00 GMT on 26th June 2019 clearly stating “Head of Finance” and your name in the subject line. First round interviews will take place on 3rd July 2019 and final interviews will take place in mid-July in our London office.