Group Data Privacy Senior Legal Counsel
About Standard Chartered
We are a leading international bank focused on helping people and companies prosper across Asia, Africa and the Middle East.
To us, good performance is about much more than turning a profit. It's about showing how you embody our valued behaviours - do the right thing, better together and never settle - as well as our brand promise, Here for good.
We're committed to promoting equality in the workplace and creating an inclusive and flexible culture - one where everyone can realise their full potential and make a positive contribution to our organisation. This in turn helps us to provide better support to our broad client base.
The Role Responsibilities
The Senior Legal Counsel will play a key role in the Enterprise Legal Team, providing central legal advice and support on data management legal issues in particular, covering data protection, banking secrecy and cyber security across the Bank's global footprint.
The role can be based in our London or Singapore office.
- The Senior Legal Counsel will:
- provide legal advisory support on data privacy/banking secrecy/cybersecurity data management issues and controls related to Group/multi country data management matters
- support any Global Data Privacy projects and other Global Data Management projects working with relevant stakeholders in the Bank's Central Compliance and Data Management operations teams.
- Providing advice as a subject matter expert in relation data privacy, banking secrecy and cybersecurity data management issues including advice on privacy by design issues, cross border data transfers, data breach incident management, consent management and data retention.
- Supporting the wider Legal function, including Enterprise Legal, Clients & Products Legal and Employment Legal teams in relation to data protection, cybersecurity and banking secrecy issues and transactional activity.
- Support regulatory remediation and change initiatives impacting data management, and related change management in respect of operational processes, policies, standards and contract documentation.
- Supporting compliance with the Group Data Privacy Standards and related policies and standards.
- Support with continuous improvement initiatives in relation to data management processes, workflow and other process and operations tools as well as guidance and templates.
- Provide training to other Legal teams, and other stakeholders across the Group Functions and Businesses.
- Keep up to date with Group policies and standards and applicable law across the Group's international jurisdictions.
- Manage engagements with external counsel to ensure effective delivery of legal support and cost management.
People and Talent
- Promote good legal practice and standards across the Group.
- Foster an environment that drives best practice and development across the wider Legal team.
- Provide expert guidance and support on legal and operational risk identification and management.
- Ensure proactive and timely identification, assessment, advice and dissemination of evolving legal and regulatory changes/practices and associated risks on data privacy and other data management legal issues.
- Support Legal requirements for the Group's Enterprise Risk Management Framework.
- Establish strong relationships with key stakeholders at all levels, while independently performing own duties.
- Work with Businesses and Functions and colleagues in the Legal Function to identify and develop data privacy, banking secrecy & cybersecurity process enhancements and simplification opportunities and innovative solutions to improve and enhance legal operations and service delivery.
Regulatory & Business Conduct
- Display exemplary conduct and live by the Group's Values and Code of Conduct.
- Take personal responsibility for embedding the highest standards of ethics, including regulatory and business conduct, across Standard Chartered Bank. This includes understanding and ensuring compliance with, in letter and spirit, all applicable laws, regulations, guidelines and the Group Code of Conduct.
- Support the Legal Function to achieve the Bank's Conduct Principles: Fair Outcomes for Clients; Effective Financial Markets; Financial Crime Compliance; The Right Environment.
- Effectively and collaboratively identify, escalate, mitigate and resolve risk, conduct and compliance matters.
- Enterprise Legal Team
- Employment Legal Team
- Group Clients & Products Legal Team
- Country Legal Teams
- Operations, Data Management & Privacy
- Group Data Privacy Officer & Group CFCC
- Other Risk Owners, including CISRO, Data Privacy Compliance, Financial Crime Compliance, HR and Group Internal Audit
- Relevant Businesses and Global Functions
Our Ideal Candidate
- Embed Here for Good and the Group's brand and values and demonstrate the Valued Behaviours as a member of the Legal Function.
- Perform other responsibilities as assigned.
Must be a qualified lawyer in a common law jurisdiction with in-depth post qualification experience as a specialist lawyer advising on data protection, banking secrecy and cyber security data management issues, including:
We are looking for candidates that align to our culture and values, which are an important part of who we are and what we stand for as an organisation. To be considered as a candidate, you will be required to complete a Culture Fit Assessment - this is an online assessment of your alignment and behavioral fit to our culture. The test takes approximately 30 minutes to completes and is mandatory. After your application you will get the link to the test to your mailbox. Should you not complete this assessment, you will be considered as not meeting the requirement of the role.
- knowledge and understanding of EU/UK General Data Protection Regulation and data protection laws & regulations in other jurisdictions, such as Singapore and Hong Kong;
- knowledge and understanding of confidentiality/banking secrecy legal issues including data access and data cross border transfers;
- ability to draft privacy statements/notices/contract terms to meet requirements;
- ability to independently advise on data privacy/cyber security data management legal issues;
- ability to coordinate and work with teams across multiple time zones;
- experience of training staff on data privacy/cyber security data management legal issues; and
- understanding of banking secrecy requirements in a regulated sector.
Apply now to join the Bank for those with big career ambitions.
To view information on our benefits including our flexible working please visit our career pages . We welcome conversations on flexible working.