GCP DevOps Engineer
- London, England, United Kingdom
- Permanent, Full time
- HSBC Bank plc
- 24 Apr 19
GCP DevOps Engineer
GCP DevOps Engineer
Some careers grow faster than others.
If you're looking for a career that will give you plenty of opportunities to develop, join HSBC and your future will be rich with potential. Whether you want a career that could take you to the top, or simply take you in an exciting new direction, HSBC offers opportunities, support and rewards that will take you further.
At HSBC, we are transforming technology in financial services, using the latest digital tools and methodologies to make our customers' banking experience simpler, better, faster and more secure.
To achieve this, we have many exciting challenges ahead and are looking for people with a real passion for what they would like to do. Working with some of the best technology talent we are searching for technologists and enablers that will help support us on this journey.
As an HSBC employee in the UK, you will have access to tailored professional development opportunities and a competitive pay and benefits package. This includes private healthcare for all UK-based employees, enhanced maternity and adoption pay and support when you return to work, and a contributory pension scheme with a generous employer contribution.
GB&M Cloud GCP engineering team is a Global Markets and Banking Initiative that is part of the Group Data Strategy to transform the way we use Cloud in HSBC.
We need to set up the HSBC network internally and within GCP to use dedicated high capacity lines and a segmented network. Need the On boarding process to be fully-automated for defined common requests, accelerating availability of environments to less than 24 hours for common patterns. Need to get Cyber Security (CS) tool approval and produce patterns, covering code examples and access management setup across:
- GKE Kubernetes & container registry (VPC SC and CMEK)
- Cloud SQL
- Cloud DataProc
A unique opportunity to becoming an expert Google GCP DevOps engineer. The role is to become the go to GCP expert for the 3,000 GBM devops engineers and achieve the department goals outlined above. Person would be entrusted to develop solutions/design ideas, identify design ideas to enable the software to meet the acceptance and success criteria.
Working closely with architects, engineers and Google.
Key duties include:
As a key member of the technical team, you will be expected to define and contribute at a high-level to many aspects of our collaborative Agile development process:
- Prime role is to work with use case devops team on new GCP products such as GKE, Cloud SQl, DataProc, Tensorflow…and get the tools working safely for HSBC, design access control, document development patten and train developers to use tools.
- For key Cloud projects - Provide software design, development, automated testing of new and existing components in an Agile, DevOps and dynamic environment
- Promoting development standards, code reviews, mentoring, knowledge sharing
- Product and feature design, scrum story writing
- Implement the tools and processes, handling performance, scale, availability, accuracy and monitoring
- Participation in regular planning and status meetings. Input to the development process - through the involvement in Sprint reviews and retrospectives. Input into system architecture and design.
- Peer code reviews.
To be successful in this role you should meet the following requirements:
- Experienced in Java and/or Python, Unix/Linux environment on-premises and in the cloud
- Experience with most of the following technologies (Terraform, GCP tools, Cloud networks and security, infrastructure as code.)
- Need structured thinking who get the GCP tool working but document so many projects can use product without detailed help.
- Sound knowledge on working Unix/Linux Platform
- Experience with industry standard version control tools (Git, GitHub), automated deployment tools (Ansible & Jenkins) and requirement management in JIRA
- Exposure to Agile Project methodology but also with exposure to other methodologies (such as Kanban)
- Understanding of data modelling techniques using relational and non-relational techniques
- Coordination between Onsite and Offshore
- Experience on Debugging the Code issues and then publishing the highlighted differences to the development team/Architects;
- Understanding or experience of Cloud design patterns
- Google Technologies and Big Data
- Forward thinking, independent, creative, and self-sufficient; who can work with less documentation, has exposure testing complex multi-tiered integrated applications. Ability to work with minimal supervision on own initiative and on multiple tasks simultaneously
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, and decision making skills
- Strong team-working skills, working in global teams across multiple time zones
- Identify project issues, communicate them and assist in their resolution.
- Assist in continuous improvement efforts in enhancing project team methodology and performance.
- Cooperative team focused attitude;
- Needs to be a Self-starter, proactive.
The base location for this role is London, 8CS
You'll achieve more when you join HSBC
HSBC is committed to building a culture where all employees are valued, respected and opinions count. We take pride in providing a workplace that fosters continuous professional development, flexible working and opportunities to grow within an inclusive and diverse environment.
Personal data held by the Bank relating to employment applications will be used in accordance with our Privacy Statement, which is available on our website.
We want everyone to be able to fulfil their potential which is why we provide a range of flexible working arrangements and family friendly policies. As a business operating in markets all around the world, we believe diversity brings benefits for our customers, our business and our people. This is why HSBC UK is committed to being an inclusive employer and encourages applications from all suitably qualified applicants irrespective of background, circumstances, age, disability, gender identity, ethnicity, religion or belief and sexual orientation.
As a business operating in markets all around the world, we believe diversity brings benefits for our customers, our business and our people. This is why HSBC is committed to being an inclusive employer and encourages applications from all suitably qualified applicants irrespective of background, circumstances, age, disability, gender identity, ethnicity, religion or belief and sexual orientation.
We want everyone to be able to fulfil their potential which is why we provide a range of flexible working arrangements and family friendly policies
We are an equal opportunity employer and are committed to creating a diverse environment.