Financial Controller - 12 Month ContractOverview
The Octopus Group incorporates Octopus Energy, Octopus Healthcare, Octopus Investments, Octopus Property, Octopus Ventures and Octopus Labs. Our aim is to have an impact in everything we do, and to make a vital contribution to the UK economy by helping people, companies and institutions generate wealth. And we're always on the look-out for smart, talented people who share our values.
About the role
The Specialist Finance Finance team (part of Octopus Investments) are a 12-strong team, responsible for the provision of finance services across two key product areas; Octopus Inheritance Tax Services ("OITS") and Venture Capital Trusts ("VCT"), as well as managing legacy EIS entities (collectively "Specialist Finance entities"). This role will provide oversight across both areas, managing both the VCT and OITS finance managers.
Job functions will include
Team management and oversight
- Oversee day-to-day activities of the team, ensuring it operates seamlessly and in a controlled manner, delivering on time and to a high standard.
- Line manage OITS and VCT finance managers, supporting them to deliver a strong performance against challenging objectives, and providing regular review and feedback.
- Provide leadership on legacy EIS management, running a process to resolve historic issues and implementing efficient ongoing processes and procedures.
Financial Control and Review
- Maintain robust review and control procedures to ensure that all statutory, regulatory and management reports are completed accurately and in a timely manner.
- Manage and develop the existing control environment, identifying risks and adapting to meet the evolving needs of the OITS, EIS and VCT business.
- Maintain a thorough understanding of key issues impacting our team and the wider business and ensure open lines of communication across the team.
Project Management and Delivery
- Actively participate in new systems implementation projects (consolidation and treasury management), ensuring they're delivered on time and to a specification that meets the requirements of the Specialist Finance entities.
- Support OITS/VCT finance managers to deliver on enhancement project for existing systems, ensuring that adequate time and resource is allocated to delivering identified improvements.
- Support the delivery of an updated and enhanced financial control framework for the Spec Fin entities.
Job Specific Experience/Technical Skills/Abilities
- Candidates should have a minimum 7-8 years' PQE.
- A proven track record of managing finance teams in complex group environments is essential, and it would further be beneficial if experience was gained running a Group Finance function, dealing with complex consolidations.
- Experience of implementing finance systems and delivering process improvements will be essential.
- Candidates must have experience of working in financial services, and a background of working in fund management would be beneficial.
- The successful candidate will need to demonstrate good interpersonal skills and the ability to quickly build relationships within their team and across departments.
Random acts of kindness make the workplace a better place. So, go out of your way to be helpful, and give people reasons to smile.
Life is complicated enough. Don't make it harder for yourself, or for others. Sometimes the simplest approach works wonders.
Every great business started with a flash of inspiration. If you've got a great idea, don't keep it to yourself.
At Octopus, we recognise the importance of embracing diversity in order to create a high performance culture.