We are delighted to be Partnering with a highly successful boutique Private Equity fund with an exceptional track-record, who are seeking to appoint a Financial Controller (Fund & Corporate). This is a genuine number 2 role and will give exposure to all aspects of managing a finance function within a PE environment. You will be overseeing a small team while also supporting the CFO with more commercially-oriented endeavours.
Our client is a leading provider of growth capital for the technology sector. The firm invests in and acquires high-growth technology companies across Europe and the US.
We are seeking to identify a Financial Controller to support the company, as they start fund raising for their latest fund. Performance of their funds to date has been highly impressive. This is a great opportunity for a bright candidate to grow their accounting knowledge and develop their skills in a dynamic private equity environment.
This is a broad role, providing support to the Finance Director and the Finance Team in all aspects of the Finance and operations function.
The Financial Controller is an integral part of the finance and operations department of the business for both the fund and corporate sides of the firm. The role includes the production of periodic financial reports and maintenance of accounting records and a comprehensive set of controls and budgets designed to mitigate risk, enhance the accuracy of the company's reported financial results, and ensure that reported results comply with generally accepted accounting principles.
The Financial Controller will be responsible for ensuring high quality financial and management information is provided to senior management and external investors.
The successful candidate will also assist the Finance Director in ensuring compliance obligations are met.
Duties and responsibilities will include (not exhaustive):
- Preparation and management of the annual and quarterly investor reporting process;
- Plan and manage the company’s budgeting and forecasting;
- Preparation of investor reporting in conjunction with external administrators;
- Assistance with investor presentations;
- Management of the year-end audit process;
- Partnering with the deal team on operational issues, asset performance and optimizing investment returns;
- Ad-hoc modelling on investments;
- Preparing fund valuations and returns waterfalls;
- Preparation of statutory and management accounts and providing analysis of variances;
- Management of the tax reporting process;
- Liaising with external administrators regarding fund accounting and investor queries;
- Various compliance and ad-hoc tasks.
As a small team, duties will be varied and the successful candidate will have to be comfortable operating outside of the finance function as and when required.
Skills and Expertise
The ideal candidate will either be a qualified accountant with experience of working with private equity.
In addition to the above, the successful candidate will also possess the following:
- A strong attention to detail and the ability to manage and prioritise workloads is essential;
- Highly motivated with the ability to learn new concepts and processes;
- Excellent analytical problem-solving skills;
- Excellent presentation and communication skills. Must be able to work with individuals from many different cultures and be able to fit into a tightly knit team;
- Some knowledge of compliance requirements, or a willingness to learn is essential;
- A sound understanding of double entry book keeping;
- A flexible approach to work and good time management skills;
- A willingness to take on tasks outside of the traditional accounting function;
- Experience working within private equity/venture capital is preferable;
- Competency with MS office applications, particularly Excel, PowerPoint and Word;
- A confident manner and the ability to communicate effectively with all staff and external parties both written and verbally;
- General IT literacy and the ability to learn new applications quickly.