Finance - SVP - EMEA VAT Compliance
Description Job Purpose:
- Primary Location: United Kingdom,England,London
- Education: Bachelor's Degree
- Job Function: Finance
- Schedule: Full-time
- Shift: Day Job
- Employee Status: Regular
- Travel Time: No
- Job ID: 19031112
To be a senior member of the UK based VAT Team. The team has responsibility for UK VAT compliance and advisory functions and the oversight (and advisory VAT work) of the VAT issues in the EMEA region.
In particular, to be responsible for the delivery of the UK VAT compliance of the Citibank NA UK VAT group and any other standalone UK VAT registrations, and to manage the day to day compliance deliverables of the VAT Team, including HMRC queries, management reporting of VAT costs and any proposed changes. In addition, to have oversight of the VAT compliance processes and risks of the other jurisdictions across EMEA. To have an approach of continuous improvement to the efficiency of the UK and EMEA compliance processes with a view to automation and simplification of processes wherever possible.
This is a permanent role. Job Background/context:
Citi's EMEA Tax Department provides technical tax support to the EMEA businesses and acts in both a compliance and consultative role to ensure that tax risk is appropriately managed.
As such, the Tax Department is a partner to the business and provides support such as analysis of changes in tax law; new product review and development; client support and strategic tax advice. In addition, it assists with managing tax risk and processes to ensure these meet with Citi's high standards.
Citi operates in over 100 countries globally and is subject to VAT / GST compliance in the majority of these countries, with increased focus by many taxing authorities. Citi requires that all businesses meet the highest standards of compliance and the Tax Department works with the businesses to ensure this is done appropriately and efficiently. Citi also works closely with Governments to ensure the practical implications of operational taxes are understood when policy decisions are made and legislation is being considered. Key Responsibilities: Work as part of the Citi team of VAT specialists that:
- Review and support the work of the Citi Polish team for delivery of the UK VAT compliance responsibilities
- Accounts reconciliation and VAT journals, accruals and accounting entries
- Assist with management of Citi's relationship with HMRC and resolution of HMRC queries
- Forecasting and modelling of future VAT costs and performance against plan
- Play a key role in the project for automation of Citi's UK VAT return and lead a process of continuous improvement in efficiency of compliance processes
- Preparation of ECNs (error correction notices) and management of time limits
- Compliance with Citi procedures and controls for the management of tax risk
- Review and updating of VAT procedure notes
- Provide training of the Polish team on VAT compliance responsibilities
- Understand and explain the VAT compliance implications of new products and services
- Advise on the VAT compliance and cost/benefit implications of business restructuring;
The position will give exposure to a wide array of Citi's businesses and systems. The job holder will be responsible for working within a small team of VAT specialists in the UK. The primary focus of the role will be on both UK and EMEA VAT issues.
- Financial sector experience;
- Strong VAT compliance skills
- Excellent Excel skills and VAT compliance understanding.
- Ability to work to deadlines.
- Degree level education (or equivalent experience);
- Post graduate taxation or accounting qualification.
- Exceptional candidates who do not meet these criteria may be considered for the role provided they have the necessary skills and experience
- Good interpersonal skills;
- Proactive - able to work without detailed supervision;
- Excellent attention to detail.
Exceptional candidates who do not meet these criteria may be considered for the role provided they have the necessary skills and experience. Valuing Diversity:
Demonstrates an appreciation of a diverse workforce. Appreciates differences in style or perspective and uses differences to add value to decisions or actions and organisational success. Citi is an Equal Opportunities Employer