FIN - Financial Reporting Accountant - Assistant Vice President
FIN - Financial Reporting Accountant - Assistant Vice PresidentOverview of the Department/Section:
MUFG (Mitsubishi UFJ Financial Group) is one of the world's leading financial groups. Headquartered in Tokyo and with approximately 350 years of history, MUFG is a global network with around 2,300 offices in over 50 countries including the Americas, Europe, the Middle East and Africa, Asia and Oceania, and East Asia.. The group has over 150,000 employees, offering services including commercial banking, trust banking, securities, credit cards, consumer finance, asset management, and leasing.
As one of the top financial groups globally with a vision to be the world's most trusted, we want to attract, nurture and retain the most talented individuals in the market. The size and range of MUFG's global business creates opportunities for our employees to stretch themselves and reap the rewards, whilst our common values, to behave with integrity and responsibility, and to build a culture which is fair, transparent, and honest, underpin everything that we do. We aim to be the financial partner of choice for our clients, whatever their requirements, building long-term relationships, serving society, and fostering shared and sustainable growth for a better world.
MUFG's shares trade on the Tokyo, Nagoya, and New York (NYSE: MTU) stock exchanges. The group's operating companies include, but are not limited to, MUFG Bank, Mitsubishi UFJ Trust and Banking (Japan's leading trust bank), Mitsubishi UFJ Securities Holdings (one of Japan's largest securities firms), and MUFG Americas Holdings.
Please visit our website for more information - mufgemea.com.
Finance is responsible for the effective financial management and stewardship of the detailed accounting records, general ledger reporting, budgeting and forecasting, and tax affairs of the company. The Financial Reporting team are responsible for the annual and interim published financial statements, interaction and management of the external audit process, monthly balance sheet control and reporting and quarterly reporting to head office in Tokyo.
Main Purpose of the Role :
To contribute to the overall success of the Financial Reporting team with a primary focus of delivery the quarterly Head Office reporting and bi-annual statutory reporting. The reporting is consolidated by a number of MUFG Group entities which span IFRS, USGAAP & JGAAP.
- You will have full accountability for and be the subject matter expert in the team for derivatives and all associated reporting, including levelling, fair value and off-set disclosures. You will develop your understanding of trading strategies to challenge booking models and consider the technical accounting of transaction structures.
- You will proactively contribute to the monthly GL close, through review of key controls and underlying trade data supporting an end-to-end understanding of systems and process flow and comprehensive ownership of underlying trade data.
- You will compliment timely and accurate financial reporting with value-add analysis through detailed analytical procedures to understand business performance and drivers, highlighting areas for business optimisation through compression, capital planning and leverage exposure management.
- You will leverage Business Intelligence and your knowledge of systems architecture to develop and automate processes to enhance control, increase efficiencies and enable greater focus on value-add analysis.
- Extensive communication is required across the firm including direct interaction with trading desks, risk teams, product control and other Finance teams with regular communication with Tokyo colleagues.
- You will engage with external auditors to support the process throughout the cycle, including interim procedures, controls review and year-end substantive testing.
- The team are expected to maintain recent detailed process notes for all material areas of responsibility and support other team members through cross-training and knowledge sharing to promote a culture of continual professional development across the team.
Skills and Experience:
- Big 4 trained and ACA/ACCA qualified
- Significant financial instruments experience, particularly derivatives
- A keen interest in Financial Reporting, with experience of preparing financial statement disclosures
- Solid knowledge of IFRS required
- Experience of working in a multi-GAAP Group function desirable
- Familiarity with working with very large volumes of complex data
- Experience of using Business Intelligent tools in developing automated reporting solutions
- Competent user of Microsfot Office with advanced Excel skills
- Results driven, with a strong sense of personal accountability
- The ability to work flexibly in managing large workloads and tight deadlines
- Outstanding attention to detail and accuracy, with zero materiality mindset
- The ability to operate with urgency and prioritise work accordingly
- A structured and logical approach, using your own initative and good judgement to work autonomously
- The ability to think about topics holistically in gaining a front to back understanding of areas outside your immediate remit
- Excellent interpersonal skills and confident communicaton style