European Power Analyst
- London, England, United Kingdom
- Permanent, Full time
- S&P Global
- 26 May 19
European Power Analyst
Location: London, Canary Wharf
Grade: 10 (For internal purposes only)
The Role: Platts Analytics is looking for a European power analyst to drive forward its European power fundamental and price forecasting and analysis services. This exciting role will be pivotal in producing price forecasts, generating market insight and developing analytical tools, research and models to underpin our market-leading power services.
The Impact: Platts Analytics is a global team responsible for analyzing, interpreting and forecasting global energy market fundamentals and prices for commodities including oil, natural gas, power, carbon and coal. Our customers represent a wide range of activities across the energy industry and, as a result, our analysis is reviewed and challenged from many different perspectives. You will play a key role in supporting Platts Analytics' highly rated services and in developing these services into major new growth areas.
The Career Opportunity: This is a role with significant potential for development within a short timeframe. You will be a key input into Platts Analytics' European power service and its development as a part of an integrated, cross commodity global analysis offering. In addition there will be ample opportunity to contribute to an emerging global brand and to take part in customer-facing activities, including webinars and conference presentations.
The Team / The Business: You will be part of the European Gas and Power Analytics team which comprises international specialists with outstanding knowledge of European and global gas and power markets.
Be an expert
- Have and build on own understanding of power trading, modeling and forecasting - both for the market as it is now and as it transitions to becoming increasingly decentralized and subject to new dynamics, including battery storage and demand side response
- Identify emerging trends early and, where possible, anticipate market movements
- Harness existing data sets, identify new data sets for collection and analysis and conduct rigorous reviews of the quality of that information
- Demonstrate a dynamic approach to learning and a passion for the European power industry and Platts Analytics' leading place in it
- Work towards becoming a go-to person in European power analysis not only for internal stakeholders but also our customers and the media
- Engage with customers and potential customers, demonstrating expertise and acting as ambassador for Platts' pursuit of analytical excellence
- Create compelling content that helps Platts' core readership make better-informed trading, risk management and investment decisions
- Deliver succinct, high-quality written content that demonstrates the expertise outlined above
- Create charts, graphs and other visual content that illustrates the trends Platts' customers need to follow
- Articulate expertise and thought-leadership through a variety of media including but not limited to podcasts, webinars, video, TV, conference and forum speaking engagements
- Utilise industry knowledge and soft skills to coach and mentor other analysts
- Challenge status quo, be prepared to place own footprint on organisation and lead product development
- Independently identify commercial opportunities to enhance product offering and drive execution
- Exhibit best practice behaviors in all business activities to uphold ethical and business standards to build on and maintain high levels of staff engagement
Knowledge & Skills:
- Proven experience in European power markets. Additional experience in other markets, e.g. gas, coal and carbon, would be advantageous
- Excellent communication skills which include a concise written style; and good verbal skills. Has the ability to communicate across a wide range of groups and personalities internally and externally
- Willingness and ability to anticipate and respond to customer needs and market changes. Ability to provide insightful analysis to the market in compelling and straightforward content
- Proficient in identifying, gathering, and analyzing information to solve problems effectively. Ability to recognize trends and provide recommendations and develop logical conclusions. Knowledge of mathematical, statistical and modelling concepts and research methods would be beneficial
- Strong Excel skills are required. Experience with SQL, Tableau, Matlab or Python would be useful but not essential
- Leads by example to create a positive and collaborative work environment. Strong relationship building skills and ability to influence others within the organization to gain buy-in and drive initiatives to completion
About Platts and S&P Global
Platts is a premier source of benchmark price assessments and commodities intelligence. At Platts, the content you generate and the relationships you build are essential to the energy, petrochemicals, metals and agricultural markets.
Learn more at https://www.platts.com/
S&P Global includes Ratings, Market Intelligence, S&P Dow Jones Indices and Platts. Together, we're the foremost providers of essential intelligence for the capital and commodities markets.
S&P Global is an equal opportunity employer. Only electronic job submissions will be considered for employment. For special accommodation due to disability, please email firstname.lastname@example.org and your request will be forwarded to the appropriate individual.