Leading Global Energy Trading business is now seeking a Regulatory Affairs Advisor to join their London based team. This team is a Front Office focused commercial team and this role will focused on the German Energy Markets. It is a challenging commercial role with excellent career development prospects.
This role plays a key commercial part in establishing of the current and future regulatory requirements for trading activities, and the identification of potential commercial impacts on Gas & Power portfolios. It is cross product focused and involved building close working relationships with the Gas, Power, LNG, LPG and Oil Trading and Commercial Operations trading desks.
Key duties will be to:
- Identify significant regulatory challenges and commercial opportunities for Gas & Power arising from the planned strategy and tactics, for the current and future regulatory environments. Work with the Front Office and support functions to develop corresponding action plans.
- Monitor Gas, Power, Carbon and LNG regulation to identify potential new regulatory compliance requirements necessary to existing policies, processes and systems.
- Help ensure that the business understands with its energy regulation compliance requirements.
- Maintain thorough knowledge of current regulations and potential developments of regulation and market design across Gas, Power and LNG, markets and products.
- Build relationships with relevant regulators, energy infrastructure operators, exchanges and relevant counterparties through active participation in consultation processes, regulatory enquiries and industry forums.
- Represent the business’s best interest through input to consultation processes and selective lobbying (ensuring alignment with senior management).
- Identify, assess, and report strategic regulatory risks arising from potential developments.
Key requirements to be considered for this role:
- Excellent understanding of wholesale Gas and Power Knowledge of the German Gas and Power wholesale markets would be distinct advantage
- Knowledge in LNG or Carbon markets would be desirable.
- Strong business acumen coupled with entrepreneurial flair and energy.
- Able to distil the information, grasp the commercial concept, build a compelling argument and execute effective advocacy and lobbying.
- Regulatory specialist able to balance understanding of the energy regulatory framework and market design with commercial insight.
- Able to work, flexibly, independently whilst contributing collegiately to meeting the objectives of the Regulatory Affairs team.
- Able to work in a dynamic, pressured environment and to meet tight deadlines.
- Able to establish and maintain strong professional relationships across a broad range of internal and external parties.
- Highly effective communication skills; articulate and able to converse at all levels; ability to summarise in concise manner complex topics.
- Fluent in German languages. Another European language would be desirable.
- Regulatory experience gained through working in a regulatory body or in a regulatory function in a commercial company or in an economic regulatory consultancy role is essential.
- Exposure to energy trading and retailing environments within a highly commercial and entrepreneurial focused business would be an advantage.
This is a role with excellent career development opportunities with the ability to move into other Front Office commercial roles within the business.