Early Talent Lead - Global Technology
Who we're looking for
We require someone with experience of early talent schemes and an understanding of how to nurture and develop early/mid talent. Experience of working in a technology firm or function and being able to translate that into identifying and sourcing the skills needed for now and for the future is key for this role. Working inside the GT MO, you'll have an overarching view of our operating model and understand where our early/mid talent needs to be positioned and the roles we need to ensure are successfully filled. You'll work with the business managers and HR to understand how we compensate our early/mid talent and regularly check in with them to help retain this talent for the organisation.
You will need to have great skills in partnering with and influencing colleagues across the firm and all our locations. You need to be able to identify and pro-actively problem-solve issues and risks. And know how to prepare for and present at senior management meetings.
We're a global investment manager, responsible for £700.4 billion of assets for our clients, who trust us to deliver sustainable returns. We actively and responsibly manage investments for a wide range of institutions and individuals, to help them meet their financial goals as they change over time. The world is forever changing but throughout our long history we have continued to adapt our business, keeping our focus on what matters most to our clients, today and in the future.
We moved into our new headquarters at London Wall Place, in the City of London, in 2018. We're close to our clients, in the heart of the UK's financial centre, while having everything in place to work flexibly.
Schroders' Global Technology (GT) function is organised into a number of teams, distributed across Schroders' global offices, with Technology hubs in London, Luxembourg, New York, Singapore and Zurich.
The software development and technology function is split between 5 business-facing technology domains:
• Corporate Technology
• Digital, Distribution and Marketing Technology
• Investment Technology
• Operations and Private Assets Technology
• Wealth Management Technology domain.
In addition there are teams which operate as shared services to Technology namely:
• Enterprise Technology (comprising our Architecture, Cloud, Data, Delivery and Engineering practices)
• Infrastructure and Production Services (including production support, release and access control)
• Information Security and Risk
• GT Management Office in which sit our Business Management teams and our Chief of Staff.
Our application estate comprises both commercially-available off-the-shelf software packages best suited to Schroders' operational needs, and many internally-developed proprietary systems to support the specific needs of the clients and products that our colleagues support.
The Global Technology vision is to change the impact we have on the firm bringing about positive outcomes for our colleagues, clients and shareholders.
In order to ensure that the emergent technology needs of our clients, regulators and internal stakeholders are able to be met quickly and effectively Schroders has implemented agile working practices within Global Technology. So that this is achieved without compromising the stability and security of the platform, Schroders Global Technology is implementing a bespoke agile operating model, based on the SAFe methodology, which ensures that technology support and infrastructure is unaffected and the requisite governance and control is in place.
You will join the GT Management Office as an individual contributor. There will be key colleagues across the organisation with whom you will work and you'll need to determine and propose changes to our operating model if needed. You'll report to the Chief of Staff for GT and become part of the wider GT Management Office team.
What you'll do:
• Running the Early Talent Committee/s
• Working with HR on continuously improving how we identify, source, recruit, onboard and guide our early/mid talent
• Reviewing and refreshing how, and helping to, run our assessment centres for our graduates (and other talent schemes) and identify any changes that might be needed, seeing those through to implementation
• Establishing and reviewing MI (management information) to be collated on early and mid-talent
• Identifying and following up on informed management actions from the MI
• Keep any relevant marketing collateral for both internal and external use up-to-date and in line with our external brand positioning
• Supporting and keeping in constant contact with line managers and rotation managers with the ongoing development of our early and mid-talent
• Work with the GT People SMT on talent retention.
Across GT we have an ethos of trying to promote from within where possible. This creates good career progression in Global Technology. The sourcing and development of our early (and mid) career talent is therefore critical to have an excellent pipeline of a number of key skills for our organisation.
Working in partnership with the Global Technology Leadership Team (GT LT) and our HR partners in recruitment, you'll identify the skills we're looking for; understand the talent schemes and programmes that the firm runs and directly lead our early careers programmes for GT.
Our early careers programmes are being refreshed and you'll collaborate with key stakeholders in designing, agreeing, documenting, rolling out and embedding the updated frameworks and processes. You will also collaborate with our HR partners on how we run our assessment centres and other talent-sourcing activities. This role sits inside the GT Management Office (GT MO) where you'll work with other colleagues on our external brand positioning and marketing collateral. You'll also identify, collate and review key management information in relation to our early talent, proposing actions needed to be taken to keep our programmes fresh and retain our key talent.
All of our early and mid-career talent schemes involve working with a number of pastoral and rotation line managers who develop and guide the individuals on these programmes and you'll create a community of early talent line managers and provide support as needed. This again is in partnership and alignment with our colleagues in HR.
You will need to continue with the execution and implementation of our current strategy while shaping your ideas to input into our longer-term strategy. As we look to continuously improve how we run and deliver our portfolio of change initiatives, you will need to inspire, influence, motivate and demonstrate new ways of working across the wider Technology organisation including your peers. You will need to drive best practice across Global Technology and establish and generate metrics to evidence tangible progress.
The knowledge, experience and qualifications you need
• Experience of working within or running talent schemes, with early/mid talent experience as a bonus
• A confirmed track record of defining and implementing changes in talent schemes
• Demonstrable ability to lead, mobilise and partner with the relevant stakeholders.
• Excellent stakeholder management skills and a client-centric approach to working with internal stakeholders and colleagues across multiple geographic locations
• Budget management
• Understanding of EVPs (Employee Value Propositions) and external marketing on how we should be positioning Schroders to attract the best talent
• Proven collaboration skills
What you'll be like
• Friendly: people the world over like working with you, and they're never afraid to ask you for help
• Passionate about nurturing talent and creating a positive culture for the individuals and their line managers
• Curious about the diversity of our talent and enthusiastic about finding diverse talent
• Calm: you're positive under pressure and happy to take the lead if things get difficult
• Gutsy: you know 'good' isn't good enough. So you solve problems and always ask 'Why?' to find better ways to do things.
• Confident and self-motivated;
• Analytical, self-assured and result-orientated;
• Able to get the best out of people across various locations and cultures;
• Effective communicator (both internally and externally).
We're looking for the best, whoever they are
Schroders is an equal opportunities employer. You're welcome here whatever your socio-economic background, race, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, religious belief, age or disability.