EMEA Investment Management Compliance - Public Side, Executive Director
- London, England, United Kingdom London England GB
- Permanent, Full time
- Morgan Stanley
- 21 Apr 18 2018-04-21
See job description for details
Morgan Stanley is a leading global financial services firm providing a wide range of investment banking, securities, investment management and wealth management services. The Firm's employees serve clients worldwide including corporations, governments and individuals from more than 1,200 offices in 43 countries.
As a market leader, the talent and passion of our people is critical to our success. Together, we share a common set of values rooted in integrity, excellence and strong team ethic. Morgan Stanley can provide a superior foundation for building a professional career - a place for people to learn, to achieve and grow. A philosophy that balances personal lifestyles, perspectives and needs is an important part of our culture.
Morgan Stanley Investment Management (MSIM) is a leading global asset management business, offering a comprehensive range of investment management services to global investors in equity, fixed-income, asset allocation and alternative investment products including private equity, venture capital and real estate opportunities on a worldwide basis. MSIM offers its products through fund vehicles (such as UK OEICs, Luxembourg SICAVs and US Mutual Funds) and as separately managed institutional accounts.
The Morgan Stanley Investment Management Compliance department in London, together with colleagues in non UK locations and centralised Compliance functions, is responsible for providing compliance support for all aspect of the European, Middle East and Africa (EMEA) MSIM business.
This executive director role will report into the EMEA Head of MSIM Compliance. This individual will be expected to attend MSIM and EMEA committees and other senior management meetings in place of the Head of MSIM Compliance.
The role involves senior level participation in a broad range of coverage Compliance responsibilities delivered as part of the Annual Compliance Plan, Business risk assessment for MSIM EMEA, including:
- Provision of advice concerning regulatory matters and internal Morgan Stanley policies and procedures whether in a structured context (e.g. standing business meetings) or ad hoc;
- Relationship management and day to day coverage of the investment teams, trading desks, product distribution and infrastructure functions;
- Liaising and coordinating with regional and global Compliance both central and MSIM, infrastructure groups and business functions.
- Reporting to and liaising with MSIM Boards and Fund Boards.
Principal initial responsibilities will include participation in and, as appropriate, being the Compliance lead for strategic or regulatory initiatives and projects. These responsibilities may include matters such as:
- Understanding the regulatory framework and applicability for the business
- Implementation of new policies and procedures in response to significant regulatory change, e.g. SMCR, PRIIIPS and Benchmark Regulation
- Tracking applicable regulatory Consultation Papers, notices and enforcement actions and identifying emerging themes or risks from areas of regulatory focus;
- Evaluating Compliance implications of the expansion of the MSIM branch network across EMEA; and of the existing cross border issues in current non-UK locations.
- Providing advice with respect to new business activities, new products or changes in MSIM business line processes; and
- Development of appropriate Compliance management information including the production of annual and quarterly reporting to MSIM’s UK regulated entities’ Boards and Fund Boards.
Given the global nature of the overall MSIM Compliance programme, the candidate will need to liaise with global counterparts with respect to certain of the initiatives for which they are given responsibility.
The candidate will possess the following:
- Sound retail and institutional asset management regulatory knowledge;
- Senior level operating experience in asset management Compliance gained within a major UK regulated entity;
- Practical experience of working in a cross-regional context;
- Technical expertise with respect to relevant laws and regulations;
- Excellent analytical skills;
- Team management skills;
- Project management and organisational skills;
- Excellent presentation skills - ability to communicate clearly and concisely both in person and in writing;
- Able to use initiative and apply judgment; and
Morgan Stanley is an equal opportunities employer. We work to provide a supportive and inclusive environment where all individuals can maximise their full potential. Our skilled and creative workforce is comprised of individuals drawn from a broad cross section of the global communities in which we operate and who reflect a variety of backgrounds, talents, perspectives and experiences. Our strong commitment to a culture of inclusion is evident through our constant focus on recruiting, developing and advancing individuals based on their skills and talents.*LI-FH1