EMEA Fixed Income Commodities Controller – Associate
- London, England, United Kingdom
- Permanent, Full time
- Morgan Stanley
- 22 Nov 17 2017-11-22
See job description for details
Morgan Stanley is a leading global financial services firm providing a wide range of investment banking, securities, investment management and wealth management services. The Firm's employees serve clients worldwide including corporations, governments and individuals from more than 1,200 offices in 43 countries.
As a market leader, the talent and passion of our people is critical to our success. Together, we share a common set of values rooted in integrity, excellence and strong team ethic. Morgan Stanley can provide a superior foundation for building a professional career - a place for people to learn, to achieve and grow. A philosophy that balances personal lifestyles, perspectives and needs is an important part of our culture.
The Finance Division reports to the Chief Financial Officer and consists of some 3,000 employees worldwide. Finance protects the Morgan Stanley franchise by serving as guardian of the Firm’s books and records and by contributing to firm wide risk management and risk reduction. This division maintains relationships with Morgan Stanley’s various industry and government regulators and also serves as the conduit of financial information to the outside investment community. Finance plays a critical role as advisor to Morgan Stanley’s various businesses and its senior management team.
The EMEA Fixed Income Commodities Product Control team has a wide remit in supporting the Global Oil, Global Metals and European Power and Gas derivative trading businesses with traders across the regions. In addition to supporting the derivative business, the team also manages the wind down of legacy physical commodity trading businesses and investments.
The core location team comprises 3 individuals in London with supervisory oversight responsibilities over Mumbai (4 staff members) and Baltimore (2 staff members) who are responsible for the P&L production and Balance sheet substantiation aspects of the role. The wider team's overall role is to provide financial analysis and business performance metrics to support senior management decision making. This encompasses daily revenue analysis, profitability and balance sheet reporting plus liquidity, funding, capital and ROE analysis. The team is also responsible for signing off the month end financial statements and presentation of these to firm management and external auditors/regulators.
The core location Associate role will report into the team Senior Manager.
• Business Performance: Review the monthly business packs for desk heads and partner with stakeholders to generate efficiency savings and earnings.
• Production: Review of the financial statement information produced in Mumbai / Baltimore and distribution of this information to the business unit and internal clients.
• Control: Identify / Design / Implement new controls and processes in the P&L production process where required in keeping up to date with new policies and standards and best practice.
• Accounting: Review and agree with Accounting Policy any non-standard transaction proposal from the business unit.
• Balance Sheet, Liquidity & Funding: Review production / development of monthly reports.
• Ad Hoc: Projects and Queries as raised by senior Finance and Business Unit management.
• The candidate should have prior Finance-related experience and preferably a qualified accountant or part-qualified accountant.
• Relevant experience in Product Control and knowledge of Commodity products would be advantageous.
• High regard for attention to detail and accuracy to ensure close control of the P&L reported.
• Strong written and verbal communication skills.
• Awareness of emerging industry trends such as Basel capital rules and central clearing.
• High self-motivation and the ability to work both independently and as an effective team member / lead.
• Ability to partner and work effectively both with direct team members and with colleagues across the wider organisation.
• Strong planning and prioritization skills with the ability to work on multiple tasks and with multiple stakeholders.
• Proficient in MS Office, specifically a strong command in Excel and PowerPoint.
The salary of this role is competitive.
The closing date for applications is 02/12/2017
Morgan Stanley is an equal opportunities employer. We work to provide a supportive and inclusive environment where all individuals can maximise their full potential. Our skilled and creative workforce is comprised of individuals drawn from a broad cross section of the global communities in which we operate and who reflect a variety of backgrounds, talents, perspectives and experiences. Our strong commitment to a culture of inclusion is evident through our constant focus on recruiting, developing and advancing individuals based on their skills and talents.