Wells Fargo & Company (NYSE: WFC) is a leading global financial services company with $2.0 trillion in assets and offices in over 37 countries. Founded in 1852 and headquartered in San Francisco, Wells Fargo provides asset management, capital raising and advisory, financing, foreign exchange, payments, risk management, and trade finance services to support customers who conduct business in the global economy. At Wells Fargo, we want to satisfy our customers’ financial needs and help them succeed financially. We also value the viewpoints of our team members and encourage them to be their best.
Join our diverse and inclusive team where you will feel valued and inspired to contribute your unique skills and experience. We are looking for talented people who will put our customers at the center of everything we do. Help us build a better Wells Fargo. It all begins with outstanding talent. It all begins with you. Learn more at our International Careers website.
Market Job Description
About the role
The role will be responsible for the oversight of Conduct risk in EMEA and will be part of the EMEA Compliance Chief Operating Office.
In Wells Fargo EMEA, Conduct risk is defined as the risk of undue detriment to clients or to the integrity of markets due to poor behavior or business practices. Furthermore Enterprise standards define Conduct risk as the risk of inappropriate, unethical or unlawful behaviour on the part of team members or individuals on behalf of the Company, caused by deliberate actions or business practices.
The role is responsible for ensuring Wells Fargo EMEA has processes in place to meet Regional regulatory expectations and Enterprise standards in respect of the management of Conduct.
The Conduct Risk Oversight Manager is responsible for establishing and maintaining processes for effective oversight and monitoring of front-line conduct risk activities, including oversight of sales practices. This role will act as the lead for Conduct Risk Oversight initiatives in EMEA and oversee their programmes in EMEA.
Conduct Risk Programme
A key function of the role is to ensure Wells Fargo EMEA has adequate processes and procedures for identification, monitoring, measuring, reporting and mitigation of Conduct risk. This includes but is not limited to:
- Risk Assessment & Monitoring, responsible for advising on and overseeing EMEA-wide standards and methodologies with respect to conduct risk identification and assessment
- Complaints Oversight, responsible for establishing, implementing, and maintaining an EMEA-wide program and policy to analyze, report, and review the front-line complaints functions
- Conduct Governance, responsible for establishing and maintaining governance documents with requirements for effectively managing conduct risk EMEA wide.
- Defining Conduct Risk Appetite Statement and develop with support and business partners key risk metrics
- Development with the Testing team & Surveillance teams – testing/monitoring/surveillance schedules in respect of Conduct
- In-conjunction with Compliance Knowledge and Awareness team develop Conduct risk training and communication within EMEA.
- Working alongside Enterprise partners ensure Whistleblowing processes in EMEA are maintained and are effective.
- Working alongside Legal, HR Employee Relations and Regional Management ensure processes in EMEA are to address allegations of team member misconduct, including the management of the Conduct Panel on behalf of the EMEA Head of Compliance.
- Review processes which support Conduct risk – e.g. Product Governance.
- In-conjunction with HR promote measure to positively influence and assess Conduct.
Advocacy & Advice
- Advise EMEA Senior Management & Lines of Business on best practice approach to Conduct risk.
- Work with the Compliance Regulatory Change and Risk Management team to enhance horizon scanning for Conduct risk issues.
- Act as an advocate & leader for Conduct initiatives in EMEA.
- Support the implementation of Conduct initiatives across EMEA lines of business.
- Identify and offer strategic solutions to improve Conduct risk management in EMEA.
Escalation and Management
- Identify critical partners within EMEA and across Enterprise, pro-actively developing relationships across Wells Fargo to ensure positive outcomes for the control environment impacting EMEA.
- Escalate issues concerning Conduct Risk in EMEA.
- Prepare reporting for relevant Boards and Committees and present at those meetings where required.
- Work with the Head of EMEA Compliance in addressing any issues arising from Conduct risk
- Develop with EMEA Management the appropriate forum(s) for the management and oversight of Conduct across EMEA, including escalation of issues to local Boards and Management committees.
- Act as mentor to junior members of the Compliance team.
Market Skills and Certifications
- Unquestionable ethics
- Educated to degree level
- Good understanding of Wholesale Banking, Investment Banking and Asset Management environment.
- Strong understanding of FCA, PRA / European and US regulatory requirements and how these apply to Conduct.
- Hold industry qualification &/or post graduate qualification.
- Leadership – exceptional leadership capability; leads by example, fosters trust and is aligned with the Banks vision and values
- Proven change management experience with the ability to create a vision for change and influence key stakeholders
- Partnership skills- the candidate will be the key partner with Senior Management on Conduct issues in region and must cultivate and maintain an excellent working relationship and credibility with all related business and Risk partners and must be viewed as a trusted advisor to key stakeholders
- Analytical skills – the candidate must be highly analytical with experience in collecting, analyzing, and synthesizing information on various subjects
- Problem solving skills – the candidate must demonstrate the ability to identify key issues, and obtain appropriate information for further analysis, proffering alternative solutions aligned with the Wells Fargo approach
- Highly developed communication and influencing skills- excellent interpersonal, communication (written and oral) skills are essential with an ability to liaise professionally and with diplomacy across all levels of staff.
- Teamwork skills – the candidate must be flexible in his/her work style and be able to work collaboratively with stakeholders and colleagues at all levels
- IT literate - including Microsoft Excel, Access, Word, PowerPoint and other reporting tools but also able to understand use of technology for improving the regulatory control environment.
We Value Diversity
At Wells Fargo, we believe in diversity and inclusion in the workplace; accordingly, we welcome applications for employment from all qualified candidates, regardless of race, color, gender, national or ethnic origin, age, disability, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other status protected by applicable law. We comply with all applicable laws in every jurisdiction in which we operate.