EMEA Alternatives Advisory Lead
Description About this role Business Unit Overview:
BlackRock's Compliance Department protects BlackRock's reputation and provides client focussed advice. It understands challenges and advises on the impact of regulation in our business, with the objective of:
- Actively participating in business decisions in order to champion our clients' interests.
- Collaborating with the business to position Compliance centrally into their daily work.
- Ensuring that client interests are at the centre of everything we do.
- Cultivating and enhancing the compliance culture within BlackRock.
- Providing thought leadership, analysis and advice on the impact of the regulatory framework on the business and its clients.
- Developing and fostering excellence within the Compliance team.
An exciting opportunity has arisen for a Director to join our Investment & Trading Line of Business Compliance team. The successful candidate will lead a team of two and support our BlackRock Alternative Investors Investment and Distribution Platform ("BAI");
This position will report directly into the EMEA Head of Investment & Trading Compliance and complement an existing team of expert compliance professionals supporting our other EMEA Investment and Trading businesses.
This is an exciting opportunity to join a specialist team of experienced compliance advisers. The successful candidate will be based in London, BlackRock's largest office, and will assist the EMEA Head of Investment and Trading Compliance in providing compliance coverage for the BlackRock Alternative Investors platform ("BAI") providing regulatory advice to portfolio managers, strategists, analysts and salespeople on a range of regulatory topics.
The Investment and Trading Compliance Team are trusted advisers and we are pro-active in our understanding of the businesses, their strategic goals and initiatives. This role is necessarily broad, and we provide professional compliance advice, support, challenge and oversight including on business development, conflicts, market abuse, regulatory implementation, investment allocation, aggregation, reallocation, policy and procedure design.
Our ideal candidate will have at least ten years relevant experience within a leading investment manager or Investment Bank. BAI is a global division with teams operating worldwide.
A demonstrably successful record in collaborating with legal and investment professionals is essential. The successful candidate will exhibit strong partnership, technical regulatory and relationship management skills. The strength of character to offer healthy challenge will be essential, as will be the ability to engage successfully with stakeholders at all levels of the business.
A highly-motivated self-starter, the successful candidate will demonstrate sound judgment, excellent technical and regulatory knowledge, a strong team ethic, combined with high energy, enthusiasm, resilience, tenacity, diplomacy and relationship management and management skills.
Ideally, the candidate will have proven experience in a 'front office' advisory role, offering demonstrative exposure to compliance coverage of alternatives products from the creation, portfolio management and distribution. Experience in the coverage of private business is also an advantage. Key responsibilities/elements of role will include:
- Supporting the head of the team and global counterparts in providing qualitative compliance advice to all business units comprising BAI ensuring that regulatory issues are properly dealt with or escalated appropriately;
- Liaising with relevant parties on regulatory matters including the eligibility of instruments within portfolios and the application of BlackRock's compliance policies, e.g. error correction, fair allocation, best execution, inside information, crossing and wall-crossings, Working with global counterparts in the US and APAC to ensure a level of consistency globally, leveraging best practice wherever possible;
- Support of the BlackRock Capital Markets Team on regulatory matters including advising on application of Information Barrier policy, Restricted Lists and regulatory requests for information;
Knowledge / Experience:
- Responsible for ensuring timely advice and support on compliance matters related to business projects and business strategy;
- Working on, and leading where required, specified compliance projects and initiatives; in connection with the interpretation and implementation of new regulation
- Advising and overseeing new business initiatives.
- Active participation in Compliance or business-driven projects, including regulatory developments and strategic initiatives;
- Representing Compliance throughout the Product Development process of Alternatives products, including review of fund documentation and provision of regulatory advice as it relates to conflicts of interest, risk factors and legal structure considerations;
- Leading Compliance participation in Compliance or business-driven projects, including regulatory developments and strategic initiatives.
- Contributing to the creation of management reporting and communication on Compliance matters to senior management, corporate boards, BlackRock business stakeholders and business Oversight Committees.
- Providing advice on the anticipation, impact assessment and response to regulatory development.
- Designing and delivering effective regulatory training initiatives to the business.
- Acting as the team lead on global oversight committees (ATOC)
- Liaising with regulators and takeover panel
- At least ten years' experience within a control function within the asset management industry or Investment bank within Compliance or Legal.
- Preferable if the individual has worked in a role supporting investment teams operating within both the public and private markets;
- Demonstrable ability to drive issues to conclusion through the provision of thought leadership, advice and recommendations to stakeholders.
- Ability to influence a highly-performing internal client base by delivering timely, credible, accurate and value-added advice.
- Is clear and effective in communicating and is able to influence an audience and show leadership.
- Able to consistently demonstrate high standards of professional accuracy and excellent attention to detail.
- Can take ownership of business coverage and subject matter expertise and strives to consistently perform at the highest level.
- Self-motivation, the ability to work autonomously and high energy levels.
- The technical ability and mindset to deliver a solutions-driven approach and the judgment to use this in appropriate circumstances.
- Excellent organisational skills with ability to prioritise workloads, progress multiple tasks and adhere to deadlines.
- Ability to collaborate effectively both within the team and across functions.
- The strength of character to offer constructive challenge.
- High degree of familiarity with regulatory environment and a genuine desire to continually develop such knowledge.
To help you stay energized, engaged and inspired, we offer a wide range of benefits including a strong retirement plan, tuition reimbursement, comprehensive healthcare, support for working parents and Flexible Time Off (FTO) so you can relax, recharge and be there for the people you care about. About BlackRock
At BlackRock, we are all connected by one mission: to help more and more people experience financial well-being. Our clients, and the people they serve, are saving for retirement, paying for their children's educations, buying homes and starting businesses. Their investments also help to strengthen the global economy: support businesses small and large; finance infrastructure projects that connect and power cities; and facilitate innovations that drive progress.
This mission would not be possible without our smartest investment - the one we make in our employees. It's why we're dedicated to creating an environment where our colleagues feel welcomed, valued and supported with networks, benefits and development opportunities to help them thrive.
For additional information on BlackRock, please visit careers.blackrock.com | www.blackrock.com/corporate | Instagram: @blackrock | Twitter: @blackrock | LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/company/blackrock
BlackRock is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status, and other statuses protected by law.
BlackRock will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest or conviction records in a manner consistent with the requirements of the law, including any applicable fair chance law.