Director - Disputes - Forensics
- London, England, United Kingdom
- Permanent, Full time
- 15 Apr 19
Director - Disputes - Forensics Location: London Salary: Competitive
Our clients are looking to us to help them resolve complex commercial disputes and, ultimately, to help safeguard the value of their businesses. Supporting our clients in their disputes is about providing robust independent views that bring together deep forensic accounting knowledge, sector insight and experience of dispute resolution forums. Our clients look to us to make it happen, and as a Disputes Director, you'll be playing a key role in leading our success. It's a role with far-reaching implications, so you'll be working with stakeholders across industries with some of the most innovative technology tools available.
Our Forensic & Integrity Services (Forensic) team is growing, and as a Disputes Director you'll play a key role in that growth. Working with clients across all industries, you'll be developing client relationships, leading the deployment of our teams in complex analysis and reporting projects, and improving the solutions and tools we use. We work with a diverse portfolio of clients across industries, and we would expect you would bring experience of wide range of dispute work which might include commercial disputes, transaction disputes, completion/earn out accounts, expert determinations and professional negligence claims. However, we would expect you to have a work interest specialism and/or an appetite to develop that to support our go-to-market strategy with a view to establishing yourself as a forensic expert in your own right. This is therefore a great opportunity to develop your skills and business knowledge, and progress your career as a whole.
Your key responsibilities
We will expect you to have developing competence across all four areas of our leadership expectation: clients, business, team and personal. This will enable you to lead our teams, manage our clients and assignments, grow our business in a commercial way which adheres to our values, and inspire others through your own behaviours. You'll be taking a lead role on projects in terms of liaising with our clients and managing the team. We will expect you to allocate time to business development, including leveraging your own personal network. You will be using and honing your technical skills as the work we deliver can be complex, challenging and to tight timeframes - with an absolute commitment to quality. That means you will be able to develop and coach effective teams to support you and be constantly thinking about how we innovate and improve how and what we do.
Skills and attributes for success
You will have knowledge and experience in a number of the following areas:
- Building client and target relationships, and more general business development and marketing initiatives;
- Preparing proposals and attending pitch meetings;
- Showing mental flexibility and curiosity, being able to apply a forensic mindset to a number of problem solving scenarios which may be adjacent to the above technical areas, but different in context, scope or deliverable
- Leading multidisciplinary teams and providing coaching to and developing team members
- Preparation of expert witness reports including review, analysis and verification of evidence
- Analysing strengths/weaknesses of opposing cases, formulating alternative damage scenarios and advising on strategic implications
Solid technical experience in at least a few of the following areas
- Principles of causation of damages (e.g. loss of profits, compensable costs, breach of warranties, misrepresentation, interest calculations)
- Valuation and finance concepts (e.g. cost of capital, risk adjusted discount rates)
- Different dispute resolution mechanisms (eg trial, civil hearing, mediation, arbitration, regulatory/competition tribunals)
- Competition disputes, intellectual property and brand integrity disputes, insurance claims, audit malpractice defence and product recall disputes
- Sale and purchase agreements, completion accounts, expert determination and transaction related disputes
To qualify for the role you must have:
- Strong academic record including a degree (in any subject)
- Professional accountancy qualification or similar professional qualification
- Willingness to network and build breadth and strength of network
- Willingness to travel, sometimes internationally and sometimes at short notice
- Skills in Excel, Word, PowerPoint
- Strong interpersonal skills, including coaching skills
- Strong English language report writing skills
What we look for
We're interested in leaders with a genuine creative vision and the confidence to make it happen. You can expect plenty of autonomy in this role, so you'll also need the ability to take initiative and seek out opportunities to improve our current relationships and processes. If you're serious about Disputes and ready to take on some of our clients' most complex issues, this role is for you.
EY is committed to being an inclusive employer and we are happy to consider flexible working arrangements. We strive to achieve the right balance for our people, enabling us to deliver excellent client service whilst allowing you to build your career without sacrificing your personal priorities. While our client-facing professionals can be required to travel regularly, and at times be based at client sites, our flexible working arrangements can help you to achieve a lifestyle balance.