Digital Solution Architect
Who we're looking for
We're looking for an experienced solution architect with digital experience who can take ownership and drive forward the digital technology roadmap for Schroders. We have an ambitious agenda for the year ahead and this role will be pivotal in enabling our teams to be successful in providing well considered and designed solutions through collaboration with our architecture and engineering communities.
We're building our the future Digital estate in cloud and we need a committed leader who will help take us there. It's an exciting time to be in Digital and a great opportunity to showcase your talents for the right individual. Someone who shows real commitment and is not shy of putting across their ideas to improve ways of working to achieve demonstrable results for our business.
We have a great team and loads of talent to support you be successful. We enjoy what we do and the team embraces challenge and employs collaboration and energy to lead us on the next phase of our digital journey within Schroders. About Schroders
We're a global investment manager. We help institutions, intermediaries and individuals around the world invest money to meet their goals, fulfil their ambitions, and prepare for the future.
We have around 5,000 people on six continents. And we've been around for over 200 years, but keep adapting as society and technology changes. What doesn't change is our commitment to helping our clients, and society, prosper. The base
We moved into our new HQ in the City of London in 2018. We're close to our clients, in the heart of the UK's financial centre. And we have everything we need to work flexibly. The team
You'll be working in Digital Services team however the remit of this role spans multiple business units and stakeholders to co-ordinate the digital technology roadmap across those teams within Group Technology. What you'll do
• Help to define and shape the Digital technology strategy, target architecture and technology roadmap
• Able to work with senior technology and business stakeholders up to CTO/COO level and able to influence and collaborate
• Understand the bigger picture in terms of digital business strategic goals and the broader portfolio and how digital fits into this
• Help align the teams in digital technology to work towards a simpler, more manageable digital estate by understanding all the moving parts and working out the sequence of change over time that will take us there (roadmap planning)
• Work with other Solution Architects, Engineering and Delivery Leads, Head of Technology, Product Owners to understand the specific challenges within each business domain and how a co-ordinated approach to architecture/roadmap will address their concerns
• Under the meaning of client/customer centricity and is able to express that relationship as part of their work
• Be the primary technology architecture focal point and key representative for Digital Architecture and Strategy
• Chair and facilitate the Digital Design Authority forum working closely with the solution and enterprise architecture community. The knowledge, experience and qualifications you need
• Deep technical experience of various key software/hardware technologies, major supplier platforms/services, cloud, cyber (Episerver, SalesForce, Microsoft development tools and ecosystem including .NET, API and microservice frameworks and patterns, Azure, AWS, Mobile technologies), hosting platforms/SaaS/IaaS/PaaS offerings, Data/Big Data solution and storage, modern EAI integration patterns and technologies associated with these including MQ.
• Proven and demonstrated skills in solving big scary problems in the digital world
• Understands the drivers and motivators behind decision making and the need to influence in driving the right outcomes for the business
• Great communicator both written and verbal including highly polished presentation skills to technical and executive audiences
• Have a steady, calming, logical and methodical approach to solving difficult challenges
• Highly analytical and able to focus on many different aspects in parallel whilst building a larger conceptual framework/worldview
• Pragmatic and understand the reality of delivering in a tough economic climate
• Preferable to have financial services sector experience but this is not essential
• Understand agile delivery methods and approaches especially SAFe
• Certification in architecture methods (e.g. TOGAF, SAFe, etc.)
• Bachelor degree in Computing, Engineering, Mathematics or another technical discipline What the role is not
• Sitting in an ivory tower drawing pictures to give to someone else to implement - this is a highly collaborative role that involves solving real world problems with real solutions and interacting heavily with stakeholders
• A stock standard solution architect role - this is a senior/lead architect position (more a mix of a domain architect with strong solution experience)
• A technology only facing role - it will require interaction with senior business stakeholders
• A technology purist - this will need someone will highly developed and rounded hard and soft skills in a number of key areas for them to be successful. Will need to know how to interact to be successful and isn't afraid of getting into the detail to understand the problem space What you'll be like
• Inspiring and collaborative leader, role-modelling agile leadership
• Capable of remaining positive when under pressure
• Friendly, approachable, enjoys working with people from a variety of backgrounds
• Communicates with tact and sensitivity, mindful of how information may be received.
• Ensures everyone is informed and relevant parties consulted
• Comfortable facilitating and communicating using both business and technology terms. Able to keep a potentially diverse set of participants engaged
• Shows initiative and thrives in a fast-paced and time-critical business environment
• Respects the direction of management and the authority of business stakeholders, however is able to objectively and constructively deliver the truth
• Holds themselves accountable, demonstrates integrity and deals fairly with everyone
• Lean-agile mindset: focusses on sustainable flow of value, making space for continuous improvement, building in quality, test hypothesis and assumptions as early as possible We're looking for the best, whoever they are
Schroders is an equal opportunities employer. You're welcome here whatever your socio-economic background, race, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, religious belief, age or disability.