Digital – Pitch Portal – Junior Scrum Master
The Junior Scrum Master acts as the servant leader and coach for one team within the organization. An effective Junior Scrum Master promotes attributes of a highly functioning dedicated agile team, including perpetuating team dynamics of support and value driven delivery, protecting the team from outside interference, removing impediments, facilitating Scrum rituals, driving continuous improvement and promoting healthy Agile practices within the team. As part of a larger community of agile practitioners, they are motivated to learn to become an advocate of Agile values and principles within the team and across the organization.
Responsibilities & Expectations Agile-Lean Knowledge
- Displays understanding of the scrum values and framework, agile values and principles
- Can implement the practical application of Agile practices
- Understands how to answer questions and make observations about how the team is implementing scrum or agile practices from a place of intuition drawing on their understanding of agile values and principles
- Is starting to be able to identify when decisions, processes, or actions that are impacting the team, but they may not yet be able to articulate how these are out of alignment with Agile values or principles.
- Is developing their teaching skills in relation to Agile values and principles.
- Is able to co-teach with experienced Scrum Masters to deliver high-level training sessions on Agile and Scrum to new team members and refresher sessions to team when needed.
- Has developed the required skills to mentor the development team in industry practices that will help them become higher performing
- Influences the team in ways that help them to embed working agreements, retrospective improvement plans, definition of ready, definition of done and other concepts into the culture of the team.
- Uses time management techniques during meetings and Scrum events.
- Leverages scope management techniques to make sure that the meetings are valuable.
- Facilitates from the "front of the room" where much of the conversation is directed towards the Scrum master rather than the team talking to each other.
- Facilitates the daily Scrum rather than teaching the team to collaborate and create a daily plan in a self-organizing manner
- Can identify impediments that limit team productivity and quality, and has a basic understanding of which are team-based and which are organizational impediments
- Use observation to help the individuals on the team work better together and start to form as a single unit
- Servant leadership - Is an empathetic leader that builds trust and focuses on the needs of the team.
- Courage - Can defend certain Agile values and principles. Does what is right for the team and takes responsibility for protecting the team
- Self-Awareness - Can express his/her own leadership style and identify improvement opportunities
- 1year experience supporting a team as a Scrum Master or relatable experience
- Bachelor's Degree from an accredited college or university
- At least 3 years' experience working in a software development organization, preferably in an agile environment
- Experience working in an iterative Development environment, utilizing Scrum practices.
- Scrum Master Certification preferred but not essential
- Exceptional communication/interpersonal skills and organizational skills
- Willingness to provide direct and honest feedback to team members
- Excellent facilitation skills
- Ability to work effectively in a team setting
- High level of motivation