DevOps Toolchain Architect
Who we're looking for
An accomplished architect with excellent technical and personal skills, who maintains a contemporary view on the direction of the software engineering industry.
We're a global investment manager. We help institutions, intermediaries and individuals around the world invest money to meet their goals, fulfil their ambitions, and prepare for the future.
We have around 5,000 people on six continents. And we've been around for over 200 years, but keep adapting as society and technology changes. What doesn't change is our commitment to helping our clients, and society, prosper.
Technology at Schroders
There's a huge amount of change going on at Schroders. Technology's shaping our business more and more, so there are many opportunities waiting to be grabbed. And because we're a big financial player, we can put hefty backing behind good ideas.
We're a serious business - we have enormous responsibilities to our clients and shareholders. But just because we're suited and booted, that doesn't make us stuffy; our tech teams are friendlier and more informal than you might expect.
We moved into our new HQ in the City of London in 2018. We're close to our clients, in the heart of the UK's financial centre. And we have everything we need to work flexibly.
The DevOps Support team is a globally distributed team that is responsible for providing, integrating, supporting and enhancing a toolchain that enables actors such as developers, audit, risk, release control and management to perform their duties with minimal manual interaction.
What you'll do
• Provide a stable DevOps toolchain which enables development teams to run their own continuous integration and delivery pipelines with confidence and predictability
• Ensure that technical, managerial, operational, security and audit requirements are represented in the solutions provided
• Enabling all actors in the toolchain to reduce waste and optimise efficiency and flow
• Continuously evolve the toolchain offering, driving towards more flexibility for users, independence from specific tool choices and reporting requirements, and a "minimal restrictions, except where necessary due to other constraints" approach to configuration and permissions
• Work with the Toolchain Engineering Manager, development teams, and other stakeholders to contribute to a long term DevOps toolchain strategy
• Collaboration and liaison with user communities
• Put metrics and measurements at the heart of the toolchain offering, enabling development teams and the broader organisation to have an excellent view of the flow of work, lower level engineering metrics, and other key measurements that help us to understand and improve our software
The knowledge, experience and qualifications you need
• Proven track record of architecting end to end pipelines that cover the entire SDLC
• Demonstrable contemporary understanding of the state, trends and direction of the software engineering industry
• Strong negotiation and interpersonal skills, with an emphasis on collaboration
• Proven ability to identify complex problems and find creative solutions
• Excellent analytical & technical skills with high attention to detail
• Good understanding of how an automated toolchain enables development teams to deliver high quality software faster, safer, better
• Excellent written and spoken English, and strongly developed communication skills to help manage relationships with stakeholders of all levels
• High levels of commitment and personal accountability and a passion to constantly challenge and improve existing processes to ensure highest levels of customer satisfaction
• Shows initiative and makes time available to ensure general technical competencies and specialist knowledge is kept up-to-date in line with industry developments
• Proven ability to respond well to change and maintain flexibility while keeping focus on objectives
• Good experience of contributing to actionable roadmaps, with clear outcomes, and continuous measurement of progress
• Strong team player, but must also be able to drive tasks independently
• Ability to deal credibly with business and technical users at all levels of the organisation
The knowledge, experience and qualifications that will help
• Experience in architecting development pipelines on an Azure DevOps-based platform
• Exposure to tools such as Octopus, Artifactory, Checkmarx, Sonarqube and Confluence.
What you'll be like
• Enjoys working across teams with many different people
• Able to remain friendly and positive when under pressure
• Shows initiative and thrives in a fast-paced and time-critical business environment
• Good time management, prioritisation, and organisational skills
• Self-motivated and passionate about improving engineering across Schroders
• An excellent communicator, both verbally and in writing
• A coach and sounding board who is friendly, approachable, and takes time to understand others' views
• Down-to-earth, honest, straightforward, and able to stand your ground without being confrontational
• Someone who naturally holds themselves accountable, demonstrates integrity and deals fairly with everyone
• Good problem solving skills
• A keen technologist who follows the latest trends and technology
We're looking for the best, whoever they are
Schroders is an equal opportunities employer. You're welcome here whatever your socio-economic background, race, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, religious belief, age or disability.