Who we're looking for
We are after an experienced and capable Delivery Lead to manage delivery across one or more capability-aligned software delivery teams. You will be responsible for leading and improving how they deliver high-quality software that has a tangible impact on our business.
You must be a proficient servant leader, experienced in line managing agile delivery teams and comfortable working closely with senior stakeholders. You will be able to help teams and individuals collaborate and communicate in effective and sustainable ways.
Your primary focus will be with teams across your area, working on delivery, providing visibility to stakeholders, spotting opportunities to improve ways of working, coaching and mentoring individuals, and measuring the difference you make.
In addition as a Delivery Lead, you'll be helping to shape the software delivery culture at Schroders, working with Enterprise Software Delivery. You'll contribute to the company's agile-at-scale processes, metrics, measurements, release processes, dependencies and many other things that will improve the way we deliver software to the business.
You'll need to be a versatile and active leader, and be able to express your ideas clearly, without being too wedded to them. You'll put collaboration at the heart of your approach to software delivery, inviting input widely and making sure all voices are heard.
We are a global investment manager. We help institutions, intermediaries and individuals around the world invest money to meet their goals, fulfil their ambitions, and prepare for the future.
We have around 5,000 people on six continents. And we've been around for over 200 years, but keep adapting as society and technology changes. What doesn't change is our commitment to helping our clients, and society, prosper.
Technology at Schroders
Schroders Global Technology (GT) function is organised into a number of teams, distributed across Schroders' global offices, with Technology hubs in London, Zurich, Luxembourg, Singapore and New York.
The software development and technology function is split between a number of domains: Distribution Technology, Operations Technology, Private Assets Technology and Product Technology, Corporate Technology; our Digital practice and our Wealth Technology domain. In addition there are teams which operate as shared services to Technology namely Infrastructure Production Services (production support, release and access control), Information Security, Enterprise Technology and the GT Management Office in which sit our Business Management teams (change management, assurance and reporting) and our Chief of Staff.
Our application estate comprises mainly commercially-available off-the-shelf software packages best suited to Schroders' operational needs, complimented by a number of internally-developed proprietary systems to support the specific needs of the clients and products that our colleagues support.
The Global Technology vision is to ensure a stable operating environment that can function at multiple speeds, that focuses on value delivered to our external and internal customers. With a culture of excellence through collaboration, innovation and continuous improvement, Global Technology enables Schroders to deliver the best outcomes for clients and shareholders.
In order to ensure that the emergent technology needs of our clients, regulators and internal stakeholders are able to be met quickly and effectively Schroders has implemented agile working practices within Global Technology. So that this is achieved without compromising the stability and security of the platform, Schroders Global Technology is implementing a bespoke agile operating model, based on the SAFe methodology, which ensures that technology support and infrastructure is unaffected and the requisite governance and control is in place.
Enterprise Technology is responsible for driving and embedding best practice in how we build and deliver software.
As a Delivery Lead, you will work closely with the Enterprise Software Delivery function within Enterprise Technology. Enterprise Technology has five main functions:
• An Enterprise Architecture function that owns the overall strategic application landscape, central patterns and architecture runway;
• An Enterprise Cloud function which drives our journey to cloud, leading our central cloud enablement teams and delivering a group cloud strategy and roadmap in conjunction with key GT and business teams;
• An Enterprise Data function, encompassing data governance and architecture, bringing together the business and technology initiatives to deliver a common data vision for Schroders and to provide the architectural roadmap to realise it; and
• An Enterprise Delivery function which creates and embeds best practice and matures our overall capability, defining and gathering metrics and KPIs to supply feedback on performance and help target improvement;
• An Enterprise Engineering function that focuses on the development of a group-wide engineering culture, how engineers develop and deliver solutions and enabling improvements to pace and quality through further adoption of automation and use of cloud technologies.
We are a friendly, supportive, and collaborative team who work in partnership with all other functions across Global Technology (GT).
We moved into our new HQ in the City of London in 2018. We're close to our clients, in the heart of the UK's financial centre. And we have everything we need to work flexibly.
You'll be part of the Enterprise Data function within Enterprise Technology. This function exists to drive the way Schroders sources and consumes high-quality data to provide business value. Enterprise Data applies the enterprise lens to all data initiatives, from Data Governance, to Master Data Management and Metadata Management. The team owns the Group-wide Logical Data Model, the Data Governance practice and are responsible for creating and driving the Data Strategy through central Data Management, Data Acquisition & Integration and Data Platform & Engineering teams.
As a Delivery Lead, you will also form part of the broader Enterprise Software Delivery function within Enterprise Technology. This function exists to help us improve the way we provide business value through quality, predictable, and supportable software delivery.
What you'll do
• Manage the workstreams for key Data Strategy outcomes across Data Management & Governance, Data Acquisition & Integration and Data Platforms & Engineering.
• Line manage; set objectives; agree personal development plans and provide regular feedback to team members
• Manage the budget of the value streams delivered through your teams
• Manage stakeholders and, build an excellent partnership with the Product Owner/s (internally referred to as Capability Owners)
• Identify, document, negotiate, and oversee engagements with vendors and consultancy suppliers
• Support the teams and work with them to remove blockers, enabling them to meet their agreed commitments
• Partner with an Engineering Lead to ensure the technology roadmap for the business is appropriate and aligned with the technical strategy
• Partner with the Engineering Lead to ensure the backlogs balance incremental delivery of value with appropriate technical quality
• Ensure appropriate input is supplied and considered by all stakeholders for key strategic decisions and problem-solving discussions
• Partner with the Product Owner to advocate the roadmap ensuring its appropriateness for both the business and technology
• Collaborate and contribute within the delivery community to define best practices for Global Technology teams globally
• Ensure that there is appropriate and timely reporting, including information such as delivery status, budget changes, financial forecasting and actuals, risks, dependencies, etc.
• Ensure delivery teams work to increase efficiency and effectiveness through creative problem solving, improved collaboration, alignment, and self-organisation
• Run one or more enterprise-wide Data Sub-Councils, aimed at unifying approaches to Data Quality, Metadata Management or Master Data Management.
The knowledge, experience, and qualifications you need
• Experience of managing people and developing their talent within software delivery teams
• Experience of successfully applying a range of delivery frameworks (ideally including SAFe), having understood the difference and values of each
• Knowledge and experience of identifying appropriate technology solutions, understanding the difference between in-house-developed bespoke applications and commercially available off-the-shelf solutions
• Excellent communication skills to help manage relationships with stakeholders of all levels
• Excellent ability to quickly pick up knowledge of the business and a passion for understanding the business context of the solutions we provide
• Ability to communicate how the work delivered by the teams contributes to the strategy of the organisation
• Ability to produce and communicate effective and insightful thought leadership on technical and business topics
• A high-level understanding of key data management & governance concepts
• Excellent command of the English language, both written and spoken
The knowledge, experience and qualifications that will help
• Prior experience of delivering data engineering or data management outcomes would be desirable.
What you'll be like
• You will enjoy working in teams with many different people
• You will be self-motivated and keen to improve delivery across Schroders
• A coach and sounding board who is friendly, approachable, and takes time to understand others' views
• A collaborative leader who seeks input widely and ensures everyone's views are heard
• Able to stand your ground without being confrontational
• Down-to-earth, honest, and straightforward
• An excellent communicator, both in speech and writing
• A motivated and keen leader that enjoys coaching, mentoring, and developing people
We are looking for the best, whoever they are
Schroders is an equal opportunities employer. You're welcome here whatever your socio-economic background, race, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, religious belief, age or disability.