Database Engineer - Transactional Data - Associate
- London, England, United Kingdom
- Permanent, Full time
- Morgan Stanley
- 19 Oct 18
See job description for details
This position is for a data engineer role in the transactional data team. Among many other databases, our team manages the firm critical Institutional Trade Capture databases and is responsible for the OTC Derivatives Trades Internal Reporting.
We are a team of highly technical individuals who manage a large number of databases that include Big Data volumes. We deliver multiple projects for multiple business areas in parallel. The business owners and subject matter experts are globally distributed, making strong communication skills important to the position. The candidate will be expected to work closely with our IT partners in analysing and delivering on business requirements.
Development will utilize an agile methodology, which is based on scrum (time boxing, daily scrum meetings, retrospectives, etc.), and XP (continuous integration, refactoring, unit testing, etc) best practices. Candidates must therefore be able to work collaboratively, demonstrate good ownership and be able to work well in teams.
Work will include designing, enhancing and developing databases across different database environments. The job will involve considering all aspects of the project life cycle and includes proof-of-concept evaluations, coding, designing, testing, implementing, deploying, and continued support of project releases as well as on-call Level 2 support. Collaboration with the Firm’s engineering teams is expected.
Major Role & Responsibilities:
- Database Infrastructure Engineering for stability, scalability and capacity planning.
- Application DBA functions: plan & execute database schema changes, bottleneck analysis, outage prevention/resolution, server/database performance improvements, database maintenance, database recovery, etc.
- Database development (stored procedures, ETL, tools) and queries/stored procedures review and optimization.
- Enforce database security, standards & guidelines.
- 3-5 years of experience in DB2 Linux or Sybase.
- DB2 Linux version 10.5 and above (SQL, Temp tables, plan explains, MQTs, MDCs, referential integrity constraints, etc) or Sybase 15.7 and above.
- Knowledge of other databases is a plus.
- The candidate must be familiar with some scripting language such as: Python or Perl.
- The candidate must have strong knowledge base of relational database performance and tuning such as: proper use of indices, database statistics/reorgs, de-normalization concepts, memory management, database configurations, etc.
- Modeling tool knowledge such as: Power Designer or Erwin is preferable.
- Versioning tools such as perforce and git is a plus, but not required.
- Knowledge of financial instruments would be a great benefit, but not required.
Personal skills: Integrity & ownership, good team player, ability to work under time and resource dependencies and constraints, ability to find simple and effective solutions, high degree of motivation to expand technical and business knowledge.
Morgan Stanley is a leading global financial services firm providing a wide range of investment banking, securities, investment management and wealth management services. The Firm's employees serve clients worldwide including corporations, governments and individuals from more than 1,200 offices in 43 countries.
As a market leader, the talent and passion of our people is critical to our success. Together, we share a common set of values rooted in integrity, excellence and strong team ethic. Morgan Stanley can provide a superior foundation for building a professional career - a place for people to learn, to achieve and grow. A philosophy that balances personal lifestyles, perspectives and needs is an important part of our culture.
Morgan Stanley is an equal opportunities employer. We work to provide a supportive and inclusive environment where all individuals can maximize their full potential. Our skilled and creative workforce is comprised of individuals drawn from a broad cross section of the global communities in which we operate and who reflect a variety of backgrounds, talents, perspectives and experiences. Our strong commitment to a culture of inclusion is evident through our constant focus on recruiting, developing and advancing individuals based on their skills and talents.*LI-RJ1