About Man Data Science
The Man Data Science group is a global, front-office central function which manages and owns the delivery of data to our investment teams that drive trading decision making. The group is made of four areas: data sourcing and strategy, data science analysts, data science engineering and data management.
The function seeks to unlock the value in data by engaging with investment teams, contribute to building scalable insights and evaluation methods and sourcing new data to increase data discovery for our investment teams. The core value which unifies us is a passion to utilise science, technology, and data to enhance our investment process.
As a Data Science Analyst at Man, you will use your specific and general skills to support the quantitative research and portfolio management teams and contribute to high quality alpha trading models. On some projects you will act as a subject matter expert, providing support and delivering high quality exploratory data analysis and insights.
You will have responsibilities ranging from data vendor scoping through to data ingestion, exploratory analysis and prototyping a robust production data pipeline. The team’s aim is to provide a consistent and scalable approach to data delivery and analysis along with low touch data management processes. This is delivered through a series of small self-managed projects with the analyst working with the relevant investment team whilst working closely with our data science engineers and data commercial and sourcing teams.
We have varied backgrounds across the industry including Computer Science, Mathematics, Physics, Engineering and Finance. The core value which unifies us is a passion to utilise science, technology and data to enhance our investment process.
Man Data Science has a start-up, no-attitude feel. It is flat structured, open, transparent, and collaborative, and you will have plenty of opportunity to grow and have enormous impact on what we do. We are actively engaged with the broader data and technology community.
We’re fortunate enough to have a fantastic open-plan office, and continually strive to make our environment a great place in which to work.
- We organise regular social events, everything from photography through climbing, karting, wine tasting and monthly team lunches
- We have annual away days and off-sites for the whole team
- As well as PCs and Macs, in our office you’ll also find numerous pieces of cool tech such as light cubes and 3D printers, guitars, ping-pong and table-football, and a piano.
- We host and sponsor London’s PyData and Machine Learning Meetups
- We open-source some of our technology. See github.com/man-group
- We offer competitive compensation, a generous holiday allowance, along with various health and other flexible benefits. We are also committed to continuous learning and development via coaching, mentoring, regular conference attendance and sponsoring academic and professional qualifications
- Collaborate with data sourcing and commercial management, compliance, data science engineers, research, portfolio management, operations and technology to understand investment needs and manage the on-boarding process of new diverse data sets for Man.
- Perform thorough data vendor comparison analysis covering data integrity, coverage and aggregation methodologies.
- Analysis and evaluation of datasets to assist investment teams with finding alpha signals
- Develop large-scale data analytic capabilities to extract insights from structured and unstructured data.
- Build automated processes for reviewing and analysing diverse sets of information
- Support the analytical needs of investment teams inclusive of cleansing, mapping, statistical inferences, feature engineering and the bespoke data visualisation methods required by each project.
- Contribute towards building a robust data pipeline; including performing data analytics, building data dashboards and implementing an optimised on-going data management process.
- Curate and present relevant research and technical documentation to build and maintain an updated, accurate and accessible knowledge store.
- Ensure that vendors are actively engaged with Man’s requirements and provide a continuous feedback loop between Man’s investment units and vendors.
- Contribute to initiatives across the Man Data Science group to expand and improve the firm’s data ecosystem.
- Conduct industry research to identify new initiatives in financial markets, market data and alternative data.
- Strong academic record and higher education degree with high mathematical and computing content e.g. computer science, mathematics, physics, statistics or another disciplines involving technical and quantitative analysis techniques.
- Proven experience and fluency with data analysis techniques in SQL and an object oriented language, preferably Python, along with relevant libraries e.g. NumPy/SciPy/Pandas.
- Previous experience with reporting and visualisation, preferably using python, and creating technical solutions for operation and data related tasks/processes.
- Working knowledge of Mongo DB, Linux / UNIX, Git, Jira is preferable.
- Demonstrate evidence of strong analytical and communication skills, both written and oral.
- Financial industry experience preferred.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Self-organised with the ability to effectively manage time across multiple projects and with competing business demands and priorities.